Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    I think a legendary should be a guild effort, like Val'anyr. And you know full well that you most likely (tho theoretically possible) you wouldn't be able to complete that mace just playing normal modes. You required to do hardmodes to gain enough shards to complete it before ToC was launched. So while it wasn't "as hard as Atiesh", it was pretty hard to make while it was current.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Then there are no legendaries in the game. They're all quite easily obtainable if you put in the time(what we're doing with the cloak).
    Not really. Shadowmourne and Val'anyr wouldn't be obtainable with just a bit of time. You need to do certain modes or handle a specific boss in a certain (difficult) way. Which not everyone would be able to do.

Then there are no legendaries in the game. They're all quite easily obtainable if you put in the time
    Are you sure? I saw low atiesh population before, and before BWl, i only saw 2 sulfuras (one in my clan).
    We need to know how many cloacks we will se before the next patch launches. Then, we will now if all the legendarys are easy.

Then there are no legendaries in the game. They're all quite easily obtainable if you put in the time(what we're doing with the cloak).
    Legendary doesn't mean how rare it is, but how good is the quality of the item.
    Rarity is based on luck drops, not efforts or ability, like the LK mount, that is a rare item, I'm sure we have less mounts from him than any legendary item in game when we was in the tier of that legendary.

Rarity is based on luck drops, not efforts or ability, like the LK mount, that is a rare item, I'm sure we have less mounts from him than any legendary item in game when we was in the tier of that legendary.
    I'm with you in that legendary is the quality of the item. But should be rarity, unique, etc....so, in the other words, shoulb be Legendary.
    It's just my opinion, but I find logic and awesome lore-wise if they create something like atiesh (and remove it from the game after each patch if you want).

Quote Originally Posted by Renascido View Post
    Legendary used to also mean how rare it is. And actually SHOULD mean how rare it is:

grey - white - common - uncommon - rare - epic - legendary

You see how this works out?

But yeah it doesn't mean that anylonger... which to me is stupid.

Deleted
    Then, by your standards, what would be legendary? Would it be great for the community if there would drop only one legendary item from server first last boss of the tier?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaelorian View Post
    Legendary used to also mean how rare it is. And actually SHOULD mean how rare it is:

fixed it for you ^^ But I do agree

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zandervont View Post
    Then, by your standards, what would be legendary? Would it be great for the community if there would drop only one legendary item from server first last boss of the tier?
    Legendaries should be hard to get, and should require a group effort to get. Not mindless grinding of LFR/normal/HC. It used to take a group of people doing bosses in certain ways to even get the items required for legendaries. A Legendary quality item is an item that only a number of people have received through that combined effort. But since Blizzard wants to make all items obtainable for everypony, this is no longer the case.

I got you point, but I guess we assumed that because of the lowest item, like you wrote.
    We assumed that epic is more rare than rare items, but even if you check the classic that is not true. Let's use the Askhandy (or w/e how to spell that name right) for example, it is a epic item indeed, and not everyone had access to this, but a Orb of Deception was even more rare than any epic, because the loot chance was lower than those epics.
    Did you got what I mean? We never had any official position of Blizzard explaning that the item quality (that you have mentioned) means how rare it is, even with the categories of quality having names of rarity...

Quote Originally Posted by Renascido View Post
    I got you point, but I guess we assumed that because of the lowest item, like you wrote.
    We assumed that epic is more rare than rare items, but even if you check the classic that is not true. Let's use the Askhandy (or w/e how to spell that name right) for example, it is a epic item indeed, and not everyone had access to this, but a Orb of Deception was even more rare than any epic, because the loot chance was lower than those epics.
    Did you got what I mean? We never had any official position of Blizzard explaning that the item quality (that you have mentioned) means how rare it is, even with the categories of quality having names of rarity...
    Yeah thats true. Orb of deception was very hard to get. Blizzard wasn't totally consistent with stuff like that.

I think tho that originally they did intent to have this system of rarity in place. I had a book based on the beta still... (strategy-like guide) officially from Blizzard - where there are 2 more catagories there. Artifact (red I think) and one more color, which I don't remember. In that small teksts it was said that legendary and above were items that would be so rare that players would go through years of playing before even seeing one.

Casual game is Casual.

Deleted
    Yeah thats true. Orb of deception was very hard to get. Blizzard wasn't totally consistent with stuff like that.

I think tho that originally they did intent to have this system of rarity in place. I had a book based on the beta still... (strategy-like guide) officially from Blizzard - where there are 2 more catagories there. Artifact (red I think) and one more color, which I don't remember. In that small teksts it was said that legendary and above were items that would be so rare that players would go through years of playing before even seeing one.
    Artifacts are still ingame, but are now called Heirlooms

Well, I see way less orange items than purples, so it still counts

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishilien View Post
    Artifacts are still ingame, but are now called Heirlooms
    Actually, Artifacts are still in the game files, have red names, and are still unobtainable. The gold name tag was rolled into heirloom and a new red tag was made for Artifact-quality items like Ashbringer, Frostmourne, and several other GM-Only items (some of which like Martin Fury have been intentionally broken due to the mailing fiasco from Wrath).

edit: This expansion took a different, lore-oriented approach to the word Legendary. This time around, you went on a questline built from the ground up around building your character as the name to know on Pandaria, with your benefactor (Wrathion) empowering you accordingly as his champion in ending the Alliance-Horde war decisively to prepare for the Burning Legion invasion he foresees in the near future. You're supposed to be the sleeping giant that gets woken up and inspires both factions to fall in line, and for what it's worth you win the respect of just about everyone on the continent except for the other faction. By the time you kill the Sha of Fear, your name's whispered among the locals and you've socketed a Sha-corrupted weapon with the very essence of the Prime Sha of Fear. By the time you strike a decisive blow in the war on Krasarang's beaches and elsewhere, you're able to further empower your Sha-corrupted weapon (or, indeed, one of the Thunder King's personal armory) with a socket that can hold nearly any gem. By the time you've killed Lei Shen and finished gathering long-forgotten relics of power from his stronghold for Wrathion, you've empowered your helm with the essence of the Black Dragonflight. By the time you give Wrathion Lei Shen's heart, and get the blessings of the Celestials, you're given a cloak representing you as the champion of Wrathion and the Celestials alike--a legend in your own right. By the time you go to end Hellscream's reign once and for all, your cloak is further empowered on the Timeless Isle to legendary levels, befitting the legend you've carved out during your time in Pandaria.

The item's not legendary because it's rare or hard to get--it's legendary because you've spent all expansion doing every tier of content, every minor story patch (and two battlegrounds that were introduced with this expansion), every 5.1 and 5.2 daily hub, earning reputation with your benefactor, proving yourself to the closest things the pandaren have to gods, and carving your name into the stars. You're a legend now, and you're rewarded accordingly. It's not a traditional approach to legendaries, but building up to one over the lifetime of an expansion with a steady stream of character upgrades culminating in a legendary item is one I'd actually like to see them continue in the next expansion.
    Last edited by Thage; 2013-07-31 at 01:50 PM.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Everyone has legendary in diablo 3 yet its still legendary.

Point is, you don't get to define it.
    Good answer here. My response was going to be, legendary does not imply rare. Definition of legendary:

Adjective

1. Of, described in, or based on legends.
    2. Remarkable enough to be famous; very well known.
    The way the MoP questline is set up, a very long and all-encompassing questline that touches on all the lore of the entire expansion, fits what I would consider to be the concept of something legendary more closely than an extremely rare RNG drop off a single boss. My guild farmed Illidan for like 9 months or something without a single glaive drop, then when 3.0 hit (pre-expansion patch) a random PUG on my server had it drop on the first run, what the FUCK is legendary about that?

People are also overestimating how common the capes will be in my opinion. I've seen very, very few legendary metas and even fewer 600 epic cloaks so far. It's going to be mostly dedicated raiders with these things. It's not something "everyone" will get just for playing. If that were the case we'd be seeing everyone with a legendary meta and a 600 cloak already, but we are not.
    Last edited by hablix; 2013-07-31 at 02:03 PM.

Everyone has legendary in diablo 3 yet its still legendary.

Point is, you don't get to define it.
    But we are talking about WoW, not D3.
    There are games that only can exist 1 legendary item for server. So there is no point talking about other games.
    In wow, Legendarys were something unique, hard to accomplish (current content) but people admired this items and loved this items.

Hattori Hanzo made more than one sword. Does that not make each of them legendary?

Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post

Definition of legendary:

It's not something "everyone" will get just for playing. If that were the case we'd be seeing everyone with a legendary meta and a 600 cloak already, but we are not.

Although the "definition" of legendary may not explicitly state a rarity or lack thereof it is most certainly implied.

Lets look at some truly legendary items.

The Holy Grail, not a china setting for a thousand
    Excalibre, not the second rate silver for large parties
    The shroud of Turan, not Wal-Mart's new winter sweater collection

and so on.

As to everyone not having a 600 ilvl cloak. Only reason for that is failure to seek one.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Hattori Hanzo made more than one sword. Does that not make each of them legendary?
    nearly everything barney stinson does is Legen-waitforit-dairy, and that doesn't diminish his efforts so i assume Hattori Hanzo's swords are equally legendary.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    You are correct, however there is a finite number, and they are not available to the simple peasant farming his field.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP