Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmoonn View Post
    so ur saying the few people who got warglaives of azzinoth when it was 100% based on RNG were special snowflakes. I bet u wudnt be saying that if u were the one to be the only one on the server with the legendary.

- - - Updated - - -

it used too in BC...when wow thrived.

- - - Updated - - -

so im guessing most people prefer if all the raiders have it on the server ? then it pretty much becomes an epic weapon.
    Random chances for a boss to drop a weapon (all the legendary weapons in BT) is not in the least bit "legendary"
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Legendaries shouldn't go to people who got lucky with a drop, legendaries should go to people who put some work in it. It's fine as it is now, everyone who gets one put months of farming into creating a single cloak. If that's not enough for a legendary, I don't know anymore...

same goes for epic, a blue item have the epic feeling

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    According to OP rare items are not rare because everyone has them. (I am talking about the blue quality items)

Deleted
    Uncommons (green) aren't uncommon. Rares are rare. Epics aren't epic. They're just tiers in the game design, dude.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Legendaries shouldn't go to people who got lucky with a drop, legendaries should go to people who put some work in it. It's fine as it is now, everyone who gets one put months of farming into creating a single cloak. If that's not enough for a legendary, I don't know anymore...
    Yeah especially the work on those nasty 12 runestones.. never want something like that again. The 6k valor part was actually okay.

Deleted
    I don't have it, point invallid.

Seriously though, yeah it should be more exclusive than it is now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Well, you skipped over Thori'dal, the Stars' Fury (the legendary bow of TBC) that had NO lore surrounding it.

Thunderaan was the son of Al'akir, an Elemental child to a lord. Lore-wise which we basically knew nothing about aside from that which was presented in the quest text for it in the first place.

Ragnaros, while an imposing force... again, prior to WoW, no lore, and even then, it wasn't a ton. Just a small bit here and there.

Aitesh is noteworthy, cause Medivh is lore, no matter what. As are the Warglaives.

But RNG isn't "Legendary", it's luck... pure, dumb, blind, luck. That isn't legendary to me, that is just plain lucky. Grats on winning that 1/10000 roll (0.01%) or whatever it was to see it drop.

Ok, yes, my bad, I forgot about Thori'Dal. But I'd say that Sunwell kinda didn't really get the same TBC treatment as other raids prior that had. And yes, I have to admit that it didn't really have a lore standing point. But I guess I'm kinda old fashioned when it comes to legendaries and I prefer them as drops. I mean sure, quest lines might be fun and all. But there isn't that feeling of "HOOOOOOOOOOLY CRAP!" when it drops. The moment when the entire raids goes silent and waits to see who gets the legendary, the DKP fights ensuing... That was a part of the legendary experience. Not finishing a quest and obtaining a legendary for no apparent reason.
    And when it comes to Thunderaan and Ragnaros, they maybe didn't have much of a lore. But you knew they were badass bosses. And you had an epic feeling of taking away their weapons.
    But I guess I'm just old fashioned, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    Legendaries never got to people who got lucky with drops. As I said, after a legendary dropped a DKP fight would ensue between the people who put most effort into the game, who spent hours upon hours farming content. And it was hard to decide whether you wanted to spend all your dkp on a legendary or keep some to get other gear.
    Last edited by vep; 2013-07-27 at 09:38 AM.

Deleted
    The Cloak is the only legendary in this game, the only thing that involves a legendary journey and not a fuckin random drop. And damn that cloak is worth it.

Legendary refers to lore and power, not to rarity.
    They haven't got more lore than other purple items and they aren't more powerful than other purple items lore-wise. They are just items with more stats/ilvl.

Maybe the good definition of "legendary item" is: "random-orange item that can be obtained from a chain-quest that involves doing raids".
    They were always random items and they were always the reward of a quest-chain or rng drop. But they were legendary, and this days are common items.

We need something to be legendary (lore-wise and powerful items).

Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Legendaries never got to people who got lucky with drops. As I said, after a legendary dropped a DKP fight would ensue between the people who put most effort into the game, who spent hours upon hours farming content. And it was hard to decide whether you wanted to spend all your dkp on a legendary or keep some to get other gear.
    I never played in Vanilla but I've been GM and raid leader since starting in Karazhan. For me (and I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation) the model whereby you effectively had to choose between several people who all put in equal effort (i.e. Val'anyr, Shadowmourne, Tarecgosa's Wrath, we never got to Illidan in TBC we were all new) were a massive pain in the ass. So I much prefer the current model for removing that issue. I would be interested to see how a Thunderfury/Sulfuras style model would work in the modern WoW community though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Batmoonn View Post
    discuss..it seems weird that when in bc i would see maybe 2-3 ppl with warglaives wotlk maybe 30-50 ppl server wide with shadowmourne , cataclysm almost every raiding rogue on frostmourne had the legendary , and towards DS most spell casters had the legendary. I liked it when getting a legendary made you actually stronger than 99% of the community , and it was all purely BASED on luck, because right now , a legendary item isnt so legendary when every damn raider in the world including LFRers have the item, or will eventually get the item.
    Please link your char so we can see that you have the cloak
    and then please close thread number 36.755.678.989 Mommy-I-wanna-be-a-special-snowflake-but-Timmy-got-more-cake-then-me ....

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    It does take effort for the solo components of the Legendary quest line, no matter how you look at it. Even if you one-shot it, that is because you either put the effort in to do so, through skill, or gear. And gear takes effort (especially the gear to just steamroll the Celestial Blessing quest component for the DPS checks).
    aye, true it does take effort on this one. i was mainly speaking how some rogues could afk through the cata legendary. i haven't got very far in the current legendary questline myself so i couldn't really speak much of it. however from various threads i've seen of people having difficulty with the latest part, i guessed it would be a more tricky affair

Quote Originally Posted by Belisaurio View Post
    They haven't got more lore than other purple items and they aren't more powerful than other purple items lore-wise. They are just items with more stats/ilvl.

Maybe the good definition of "legendary item" is: "random-orange item that can be obtained from a chain-quest that involves doing raids".
    They were always random items and they were always the reward of a quest-chain or rng drop. But they were legendary, and this days are common items.

We need something to be legendary (lore-wise and powerful items).
    Depends on the legendary. They are all some sort of weapon created by or used by powerful individuals. Some are forged with the spirits of extremely powerful elementals, or the essence of a dragon. One is a recreation of Frostmourne. One was the staff of Medivh. Some legendaries don't have much lore, and one doesn't have any lore. The bow from Sunwell has no related lore, other than Halduron now wields it. Others are more simple - a hammer wielded by an ancient Dwarven king, or a set of demonic glaives used by a demon (and eventually Illidan).

Most purple weapons aren't as significant or powerful in lore compared to those items, however. In fact, many purple items of note are simply the weapons wielded by famous people, not exactly the most powerful people. An example would be Gorehowl, which was never any sort of powerful weapon on its own, simply wielded by a famous and strong orc. The only epic weapon I can think that is meant to be powerful is the Firelands version of Sulfuras, which was obviously put in to be bitchin' as shit (and they wouldn't have made that legendary again).

Most other notable epics were named after someone, or even implied to have been important by who they drop from or the name. One example is Kingsbane, from Yogg-Saron. Due to the vision of Garona killing King Llane, it is implied that Yogg had something to do with that event, and Kingsbane seemed to nod toward that, and could possibly be the dagger Garona used to kill the king. Another set of items is from Lei Shen, which is his helm, axe, and spear. None of those items are especially important, other than Lei Shen used them and each had an individual power.

The lore of legendaries is just that - legendary. It involves heroic or melancholy deeds to further better the history of Azeroth. Even the dropped legendaries have some value, but not as much, in lore, as the ones we create/see the story of. Not many purple weapons are that significant in the end.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Even if 'everyone' got one (which they won't), there will only be one per character at max. So its still an uncommon item in the grand scheme of things.
    Ha, no. Most alts will have it aswell.

Making it so 1-3 people get a legendary per tier is the dumbest idea ever conceived and implemented into this game. Nobody should have to play 'will suck dick/do anything/pay any amount' game.

99% of the people I know that got Glaives, Val'anyr, Shadowmourne, Dragonwrath, or legendary daggers just immediately transferred off the server within days after obtaining them. Biggest waste of guild time and guild effort ever.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMcNinja View Post
    "A legend is not a legend if there are so many legends"
    Can't tell if you're being sarcastic or actually think that's profound. It isn't btw.

a Legendary is defined by the strength of its stats and special abilities at its content level, as well as the work and effort required to acquire it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Greed001 View Post
    Making it so 1-3 people get a legendary per tier is the dumbest idea ever conceived and implemented into this game. Nobody should have to play 'will suck dick/do anything/pay any amount' game.

99% of the people I know that got Glaives, Val'anyr, Shadowmourne, Dragonwrath, or legendary daggers just immediately transferred off the server within days after obtaining them. Biggest waste of guild time and guild effort ever.
    I think that's the third ''Dumbest idea ever conceived'' post I've seen about WoW this week, fun part is that they each contradict eachother. See how opinions work?

Herald of the Titans Murderdoll's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrandron View Post
    It's not the number of people who can get it, it's the work that you put into it to get it. It's the best quality and it is top tier overall, it takes long hours of work and it is supposed to be special as aside to just a normal epic item.
    ...the work we put into it?

Its not really HARD work though, hell people can get it if they run LFR every week. To me it just feels like a normal item because everyone in my guild has it. It may as well be a regular item if everyone has it.