Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Deathgoose's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    What can be fun about everyone having the same shit? Then you are just everyone else. This causes lack of immersion in character which was the main selling point to the original World of Warcraft. Items created prestige, yes, but they also gave a character an identity. The identity's of players on a realm created a community which was the whole point of a MMORPG. WoW has now turned into a single player beauty contest, there is very little actual interaction between players these days.
    So again, you are more interested in what some random dude on the internet that just happens to play on your server might think about your avatar's "identity" than you are in playing the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Rorillane View Post
    Thori'dal was best in slot.
    For rogues and warriors maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by the View Post
    Just curious to see if you can find a few people that only ran ToT LFR, never normal or heroic, and currently has the epic 608 cape (or even without the upgrade). It would lend credence to the "every tom, dick and harry will be running around with a legendary 608 cape"
    Roomates Mage has only done LFR and will get his last Runestone tonight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Those are the fields where the challenging and engaging raid mechanics for Classic are grown. See that they lay barren.

The only Legendary I've ever had (up until my finishing Dragonwrath in 5.2, and almost having Shadowmourne done) was Thunderfury. That's the only truly legendary item, I think.

It's not tied to it's rarity, or whatnot. It's the fact that mine lived well past it's tiers end, and more. I wielded Thunderfury from the time we finally finished it (late tier 2), until well into Burning Crusade, when I finally replaced it. It's the only item I've ever had that's lasted more than 2 tiers, and I killed so many enemies and made so many memories with it, it's the only item I truly think was a legend.

I still bring it out for farm bosses and such from time to time, it's hilarious in raids (*thwack!**FWOOSH TORNADE!* "SAL, PUT THE DAMN THUNDERFURY AWAY!" "NO."). Kinda sad though, after I replaced it, I left it my bank and didn't bring it back out until I returned halfway through Cata, so my achievement is screwed up (had to equip it to get the achievement).

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokesTooMuch View Post
    For rogues and warriors maybe.

- - - Updated - - -

Roomates Mage has only done LFR and will get his last Runestone tonight.
    Yeah, that's pretty much my whole guild. Summer doldrums hit, we lost some people, and we're just now up to Ji-Kun again. 7 of the 10 of us have our cloaks without even getting to the first Runestone boss on Normal. People haven't looked any different from each other since Wrath though. I'm not sure what the big deal is here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zeekphreak View Post
    can i copy that, so that everytime there is a LFR thread made i can happily use it?

I frankly hated grinding out someone else's Legendary.

I'm pretty content with getting an orange named, Legendary quality cloak, the same as "everyone else." It's a gear upgrade, and I managed to get it. And I'm okay with everyone else who bothered to jump through the hoops (low as they may have been) getting one, too.

I don't get my jollies out of exclusivity, though, rather I enjoy inclusive stuff more than not.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Quote Originally Posted by hawtlol View Post
    Then you are just everyone else. This causes lack of immersion in character which was the main selling point to the original World of Warcraft.
    Citation needed. Seriously, i don't remember that ever being a selling point at all.

I think Wrathion's questline is the general model they should follow for future legendaries - far superior than the primarily RNG legendaries of the past. However, there should be a few changes to keep in line with the prestige that should be afforded to legendaries.
    #1 No part of the quest should be able to progress in LFR. Non raiding steps like reputations or battlegrounds are nice to shake things up, but there's no place for faceroll in legendaries.
    #2 Somewhere in the quest chain should be an objective that has to be done in heroic mode. This would work best in the first tier of the expansion, so people can continue to gear for it past its prime, and so there are things left to use the legendary on (as they're doing with 5.4). People should be able to prove they can play at the highest levels, even if they don't get there on the cutting edge time table.
    #3 Guilds rather than game systems should be in charge of distributing the bottleneck quest items. Winning the trust and admiration of the people playing with you has been the most important part of the quest for past legendaries.

I think people seriously over-estimate the amount of people who actually have kept up to date on the legendary questline. It's not as much as a lot think.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

Quote Originally Posted by rhoark View Post
    #3 Guilds rather than game systems should be in charge of distributing the bottleneck quest items. Winning the trust and admiration of the people playing with you has been the most important part of the quest for past legendaries.
    I strongly disagree with this. It's a recipe for nepotism and general drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Myrandron View Post
    It's not the number of people who can get it, it's the work that you put into it to get it. It's the best quality and it is top tier overall, it takes long hours of work and it is supposed to be special as aside to just a normal epic item.
    Considering my alts can now get it faster than my main did; How the hell is that "legendary"?
    The experience and time sink overall felt better with Shadowmoune in Cataclysm. (I started then - Not WoTLK. Snips about that are irrelevant.)

Now - Crap like Warglaives and Thundefury; Those were terrible systems for obtainment. It was pure RNG in large raid groups.
    However the WoTLK and Cataclysm models were fine and I seriously have no idea why they decided to change it.

I know players (Who have told me they feel bad about it as they are friends of mine) who have the cloak already - I'm getting mine either this if I finally get a Runestone off a boss other than Lei Shen or next if RNG treats me like crap again. These people? LFR clears only - 0 interest in normal modes nor do they even care about the orange texted item because "we don't raid".

At least they but the BG test in for this one.
    Only good thing about this expansions "legendary".

this was Blizzs' exact reason for not making legendary itmes moggable, "it is not legendary if everyone has it". Good ole Blizz

Quote Originally Posted by Greed001 View Post
    99% of the people I know that got Glaives, Val'anyr, Shadowmourne, Dragonwrath, or legendary daggers just immediately transferred off the server within days after obtaining them.
    You have a sample size of at least 100 people? Impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    What?

By Sunwell, everyone that could wield Glaives in my raid comp had them. Same with TFury and Sulf by the time we finished BWL.

The good guilds that stuck together like mine considered it a normal part of getting best in slot.
    I seriously doubt It, my guild killed up to Twins pre-nerf and we only had two rogues with DW, and one rogue with offhand,
    So either you cleared BT top 25 and had alot of luck or you are just mistaken,
    Also, As for vanilla It all depends on which realm you were, my realm was Vashj, It was Medium, unlike Magetheridon or Sylvanas, so as for my own experience our realm had just a couple of players with Raggy and TF.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    I agree with the OP. Legendary used to mean the item was actually rare, now it only means it's more powerful then the other items of the same slot.

I'd love to see a middle ground between the extreme rarity of the first legendary items which were based exclusively on luck, and the new model, where you craft them. Something akin to a 5% drop rate, not a 0.5% one, in which you have to collect either a set amount of them or a set amount of different items to make said item. Ex: Making a sword you'd have to find the handle, the hilt, and several parts of the blade, all with low drop rates.

Except it doesn't take any work at all. There was a video not too long ago on here of a rogue who did absolutely nothing on most fights, auto attacked on others, and was kicked exactly twice from the LFR. He was keeping up with those others that were actually putting in time and effort, and in the end he will be able to AFK his way through LFR and end up with the same legendary as others. Sure, he might get it a bit after those players, but he's still getting it. It's not about the work, it's about the luck of getting the drops in LFR, that's it.
    He still needs to do the solo parts of the questlines. Farm rep, do your scenarios. That's still some effort. Relying on RNG to get drops in a raid takes no effort anyway (aside from the boss dying more quickly and your time being spent more efficiently - so, it's basically stupid of you to AFK through LFR because you're slowing things down, even if it's only marginally so. Albeit, if half the raid thinks so and the other half isn't geared enough to carry them all, there'll be trouble, yes even in lol-afk-lfr). It's the other parts of the questline, the ones that you do solo that advance the story as well, that make it legendary.

That said, I don't mind grinding for legendaries either. Bring it on. I wish I could have grinded those blasted runestones.

I think it's kind of subjective in this thread, since you can see legendary's being legendary in earlier expansions because of:
    - how hard they are to get
    - how much time you need to put into it
    - how much luck you must have for a simple drop
    - they were available to a selected target group

The statements above are the reasons they are very rare, yet in this expansion everyone who does at least LFR have the opportunity to get it, only when they put the effort in it, while doing a great questline through the whole expansion and it's patches. And to keep up you have to be around quite some time.

The fact I think people are complaining legendary isn't legendary anymore is not that all people are walking around with them, but all people are able to get it with the same effort, which is still very time consuming and needs dedication.

What?

By Sunwell, everyone that could wield Glaives in my raid comp had them. Same with TFury and Sulf by the time we finished BWL.

The good guilds that stuck together like mine considered it a normal part of getting best in slot.
    Well RNG can be a nice or shitty thing at times.
    On June 5th 2007, Nihilum managed to get the World First Illidan Stormrage kill, but they have been really unlucky with warglaives drop rate until 2 days ago, after a whole year of farming, Warglaive of Azzinoth finally dropped off Illidan on June 10th 2008. Congratulations to Cloze and Nihilum, the presence of two former Forte members probably 'helped'.
    http://ravagersofevolution.guildlaun....php?t=1045376
    That means that Nihilum had to go into Sunwell at a notable disadvantage from other top world guilds in one of the most tightly tuned raids.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2013-07-31 at 08:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Everyone has legendary in diablo 3 yet its still legendary.

Point is, you don't get to define it.
    "Rare" items aren't rare anymore. When you level you are decked out in "rare" items all the way. I guess we don't get to define that one either?

It's not the number of people who can get it, it's the work that you put into it to get it. It's the best quality and it is top tier overall, it takes long hours of work and it is supposed to be special as aside to just a normal epic item.
    Sigh... What work? You were going to do LFR anyway and you would have gotten valor points by doing whatever you liked anyway. They even nerfed parts to nothing. You can now solo a questmob that previously required a raid team to kill.

Everyone who plays the game gets it unless you only play WoW for pet battles. If it was so much work then not that many people would be getting it.

I rather have a legendary with fun quests that require teamwork and benefit a whole raidgroup with like a raidwide buff. So one or two players getting the item but being able to buff groups with it so that the others who helped them also have some sort of feeling they got something.

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's orange, it's legendary.

The end.

What you are trying to say is the legendary isn't unique if everyone has it.

What?

After a year of farming with luck. Or are you now going to say that didn't take that much effort?