Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ishilien View Post
    Artifacts are still ingame, but are now called Heirlooms
    Actually, Artifacts are still in the game files, have red names, and are still unobtainable. The gold name tag was rolled into heirloom and a new red tag was made for Artifact-quality items like Ashbringer, Frostmourne, and several other GM-Only items (some of which like Martin Fury have been intentionally broken due to the mailing fiasco from Wrath).

edit: This expansion took a different, lore-oriented approach to the word Legendary. This time around, you went on a questline built from the ground up around building your character as the name to know on Pandaria, with your benefactor (Wrathion) empowering you accordingly as his champion in ending the Alliance-Horde war decisively to prepare for the Burning Legion invasion he foresees in the near future. You're supposed to be the sleeping giant that gets woken up and inspires both factions to fall in line, and for what it's worth you win the respect of just about everyone on the continent except for the other faction. By the time you kill the Sha of Fear, your name's whispered among the locals and you've socketed a Sha-corrupted weapon with the very essence of the Prime Sha of Fear. By the time you strike a decisive blow in the war on Krasarang's beaches and elsewhere, you're able to further empower your Sha-corrupted weapon (or, indeed, one of the Thunder King's personal armory) with a socket that can hold nearly any gem. By the time you've killed Lei Shen and finished gathering long-forgotten relics of power from his stronghold for Wrathion, you've empowered your helm with the essence of the Black Dragonflight. By the time you give Wrathion Lei Shen's heart, and get the blessings of the Celestials, you're given a cloak representing you as the champion of Wrathion and the Celestials alike--a legend in your own right. By the time you go to end Hellscream's reign once and for all, your cloak is further empowered on the Timeless Isle to legendary levels, befitting the legend you've carved out during your time in Pandaria.

The item's not legendary because it's rare or hard to get--it's legendary because you've spent all expansion doing every tier of content, every minor story patch (and two battlegrounds that were introduced with this expansion), every 5.1 and 5.2 daily hub, earning reputation with your benefactor, proving yourself to the closest things the pandaren have to gods, and carving your name into the stars. You're a legend now, and you're rewarded accordingly. It's not a traditional approach to legendaries, but building up to one over the lifetime of an expansion with a steady stream of character upgrades culminating in a legendary item is one I'd actually like to see them continue in the next expansion.
    Last edited by Thage; 2013-07-31 at 01:50 PM.

Awesome sig by Elyaan is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post
    Everyone has legendary in diablo 3 yet its still legendary.

Point is, you don't get to define it.
    Good answer here. My response was going to be, legendary does not imply rare. Definition of legendary:

Adjective

1. Of, described in, or based on legends.
    2. Remarkable enough to be famous; very well known.
    The way the MoP questline is set up, a very long and all-encompassing questline that touches on all the lore of the entire expansion, fits what I would consider to be the concept of something legendary more closely than an extremely rare RNG drop off a single boss. My guild farmed Illidan for like 9 months or something without a single glaive drop, then when 3.0 hit (pre-expansion patch) a random PUG on my server had it drop on the first run, what the FUCK is legendary about that?

People are also overestimating how common the capes will be in my opinion. I've seen very, very few legendary metas and even fewer 600 epic cloaks so far. It's going to be mostly dedicated raiders with these things. It's not something "everyone" will get just for playing. If that were the case we'd be seeing everyone with a legendary meta and a 600 cloak already, but we are not.
    Last edited by hablix; 2013-07-31 at 02:03 PM.

But we are talking about WoW, not D3.
    There are games that only can exist 1 legendary item for server. So there is no point talking about other games.
    In wow, Legendarys were something unique, hard to accomplish (current content) but people admired this items and loved this items.

Hattori Hanzo made more than one sword. Does that not make each of them legendary?

The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hablix View Post

Definition of legendary:

It's not something "everyone" will get just for playing. If that were the case we'd be seeing everyone with a legendary meta and a 600 cloak already, but we are not.

Although the "definition" of legendary may not explicitly state a rarity or lack thereof it is most certainly implied.

Lets look at some truly legendary items.

The Holy Grail, not a china setting for a thousand
    Excalibre, not the second rate silver for large parties
    The shroud of Turan, not Wal-Mart's new winter sweater collection

and so on.

As to everyone not having a 600 ilvl cloak. Only reason for that is failure to seek one.

There is no bad RNG only bad L2P

Quote Originally Posted by ItachiZaku View Post
    Hattori Hanzo made more than one sword. Does that not make each of them legendary?
    nearly everything barney stinson does is Legen-waitforit-dairy, and that doesn't diminish his efforts so i assume Hattori Hanzo's swords are equally legendary.
    My weekly podcast can be downloaded here this week we discuss the Warlords of Draenor launch night and a butcher that goes insane

The Lightbringer judgementofantonidas's Avatar
    You are correct, however there is a finite number, and they are not available to the simple peasant farming his field.

There is no bad RNG only bad L2P

Few of them earned legendary status and not the entire world was able to own one by just "doing some simple chores".

Oh all this rage about the legendary items reminds me of the rage when Badges of justice vendors were introduced in TBC or when 3.2 hitted and you could buy ulduar gear from simply farming heriocs. "EPICS ARE NO LONGER EPIC, EVERYONE HAS THEM!"

But now on topic, I don't play the game anymore but for the sake of shutting the "elitist" crowd up I think blizzard should consider creating a seperate version for herioc raiders in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Reyzzz View Post

I agree with this. Your definition of legendary isn't the same of WoW's. Maybe in the past, but there's nothing wrong with them redefining their view on what is "legendary" (which is in the current).

almost every rogue and warrior had the twin glaives in BC also every hunter had the legendary bow (which was quite crap compared to illidans bow) ...anyways...legendarys are made for everyone, since everyone pays the same monthly fee. also in d3 everyone can get full legendary for 1$ lol, just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by BlizzFanboyForever View Post
    almost every rogue and warrior had the twin glaives in BC also every hunter had the legendary bow (which was quite crap compared to illidans bow) ...anyways...legendarys are made for everyone, since everyone pays the same monthly fee. also in d3 everyone can get full legendary for 1$ lol, just sayin...
    orly? Pretty sure only the rogues and warriors that farmed Illidan (final boss of T6) for months had glaives. Do you happen to know the % of raiders that actually farmed Illidan?

Even then, you still had to be somewhat lucky.

Legendaries should be rare.

"There are two types of guys in this world. Guys who sniff their fingers after scratching their balls, and dirty fucking liars." -StylesClashv3
    "Elo Hell is where the Ego is greater than the Elo." -Bystekhilcar

This legendary still has its hurdles - hurdles that a lot of people are not going clamber over for more than one (maybe, maybe two) of their toons. I'm honing in on my 7th 90. ONE is caught up proper, the rest haven't started and likely won't. So I guess "Everyone will have it" is subjective. I will on one toon, but not 6 others. Do I still fit in to "everyone"? My two healers will still mash through LFR and won't have the cloak, so if I'm on one of them, you'll think I don't have it.

The grind and the RNG will keep people from doing the quests. It probably already does. You'll see many of them, but if you get that bent out of shape that someone was able to meet the same requirements as you, well, maybe you need to reevaluate some things.

The idea of rare legendary item's just doesn't work. It may be fun and exciting for those who do manage to get one but overall the whole process is never any fun, even the ones you had to craft (shadowmourne, dragonwrath, val'anyr, fangs, ect) the idea of always having to be there, never being able to miss a raid before you get it and after you get it (so the raid can benefit from the item) and lord help you if that person jumps guilds afterwards. It's all just one giant headache.

The way it is implemented in MoP is fine, everyone that puts forth the effort can be rewarded as such with their legendary item, we even get to fully use our legendary for progression in the same tier its introduced...thats never happend before.

Legendary might not mean "rare" anymore but it at least still reflects most of the time and effort put forth in order to obtain it. In that regards im happy with it.

Main:Paarthurnax | Alt:Peijing | <Huge in Japan> 14/14H US#16
    “Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some are given a chance to climb, but they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.”
    --Littlefinger

I think it depends on the item in question. If it's a specific item that was used by a "legendary" NPC, like Frostmourne and such, then yeah it should definitely be more rare.

However, the cape shouldn't be ruled out just because a lot of people will have it. It's considered legendary because a young black dragon made it. It's a legendary item that was made for your character personally during present-tense conflict. Pretty cool, really. Hope we see more of this type of lore expansion — introducing new story while still having back story available to build upon.

I'm pretty excited to see what the future holds because I was sure pandas would be a disaster, but I was wrong (though I still haven't been able to get into pet battles though so...eh a lot of people seem to like it, so that's that. At least there's no real story emphasis put on it, thank goodness). Plus, the patches this expansion demonstrate, to me at least, that their perception is close to dead-on with what I've seen as problems (i.e. the amount of time between content patches, allowing other ways to get rep other than dailies, putting more emphasis on premade/server groups rather than randoming stuff to death, proving grounds so (hopefully) there are no more shamans fighting the current baddy-boss who don't know what heroism is...I could go on and on). To boot, even though subscriptions overall continue to decline (and likely will do so until they reach some stabilization point, which I'm gonna say is somewhere between 3-4 million based on nothing but a gut feeling) some of the players that I saw who left have returned.

Quote Originally Posted by ManglolSA View Post
    Imagine the more real reality of you being the only person on the server without it!
    There are posters who already complain about the existence of proving grounds and groups wanting using it as a requirement. The proving grounds dont take a significant amount of time investment unless you are a new player who is learning at which point it is performing as intended. What about players being denied PuGs and guild invites based on no legendary which takes a notable time investment. The person can always form their own group, but there will be complaints about players using legendaries as a metric for invites. Such a sad thing to happen to something that used to be more of a bonus or not on the radar of most players when forming groups.

Ill tell you what though, it will feel mightily good to have more legendary wielding players to stomp on the meters after stomping a few back in Cata despite being notably lesser geared ignoring the legendary. Well maybe for the first couple of weeks then my brain will go WTF.

I laugh at all the LFR heroes who think they actually earned a legendary. LFR is to see the content not get loot. Why do you need a legendary? It's not like LFR people will need it to progress.

I think the way to make legendaries work is to have some sort of raid-wide limit on their number. If more people have them than that, their extra stats/proc are reduced so there's no benefit from the extra.

This way, it's only a mild negative if a new recruit doesn't have the legendary, and only a mild plus if he does. This reduces the barrier to recruiting newbies and reduces the incentive for poaching.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongo42 View Post
    Everybody can do the same quest to save little Timmy from the well. Doesn't matter that someone else already saved him from the well that day, each character's existance is completely seperate from the other as far as quests go. Don't see why loot should be considered differently.
    That's because WoW happens to be a freaking MMO where you see other people. The more blizzard tries to make WoW your personal story, the more immersion breaking it is to see other players doing the exact same thing. Saying that you should ignore other people once agian surfaces a certain fundamental question at this point. Why not just change WoW into a single-player game with multiplayer sub-component? At this point it would make more sense.
    Last edited by Dzudzadzo; 2013-07-31 at 06:49 PM.

Well, as a feral druid who never got a single chance to get a legendary, I could care less. Besides it's just a cloak that only shows it's spell effects when it procs. IMO, you seem mad that it's not a weapon with a cool model. We all knew before MoP came out that everyone would get a legendary, but NOW you want to bring it up? This is old news bro get with the times. Old legendary weapons were not even that legendary. Woah someone got lucky with RNG, let's all praise his name! Sure, they looked cool, but the drop rates were not abysmal like a LEGENDARY WEAPON should be. Lower the chance to drop down to .01, THAT would make it legendary. But no, they won't do that because people will complain they are TOO legendary and cry that they can't get them.

TLR 100% of the WoW population will NEVER agree on one thing and people will always complain.