Thinking of making this build, can any corners be cut?

Mobo: ASUS Z87-A
    CPU: Haswell i5-4670k 3.4gz
    GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 660ti
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8gb
    SSD: samsung 840 Series 120GB
    HDD: WD Black 1TB
    PSU: Corsair TX650

Case/Monitor still has yet to be decided, gonna go with a asus 24x burner/reader as well. What I am wondering is if I can cut any corners without sacrificing too much in the terms of performance.

Edit: I have about 1200 dollar budget. I'll be buying the parts from the states and bringing them back to Sweden (other than PSU because I feel it's safer to buy that here)

10+ Year Old Account
    Watch out for import taxes, black drive can be dropped back to a blue, no point getting a 660ti anymore get a 760, get whatever ram is cheapest unless your trying to match colours, 650w psu isn't needed unless you intend to go sli.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

Thread moved to sub-forum

You can drop the PSU down to a 500-550w unit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if this is 'cutting corners' but that build doesn't remotely reach $1200. This leaves you $250 for the case and monitor, which I think is plenty for both. Save another $30 by going non-modular and getting an XFX-550 PSU

PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 54.4 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus Z87-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Patriot Signature 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($254.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($79.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($18.49 @ Amazon)
    Total: $953.38
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

To be quite honest, I would not recommend buying it in the US. Like, at all. It can potentially end up costing you twice as much if you try to by-pass import taxes and toll-fees. If you do pay for them, you'd probably end up paying the same amount in the end anyway, with shipping included.

As far as I can see on the swedish import website I can bring in 4300 SEK (650 USD~) worth of stuff without having to worry about import taxes. Since I'm traveling with another person, together we can bring in 8600 SEK (1300 USD~) worth. which is actually over my spending budget anyways. Thanks for the cutback tips.

Chazus: There is a bundle deal for that mobo/CPU from microcenter that ends up putting the build down like to 903~. It's in store only bundle but I can order now and pick it up while I'm there (there is a store close to where I'm visiting)
    Last edited by Drkblade; 2013-07-27 at 08:33 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Drkblade View Post
    As far as I can see on the swedish import website I can bring in 4300 SEK (650 USD~) worth of stuff without having to worry about import taxes. Since I'm traveling with another person, together we can bring in 8600 SEK (1300 USD~) worth. which is actually over my spending budget anyways. Thanks for the cutback tips.

Chazus: There is a bundle deal for that mobo/CPU from microcenter that ends up putting the build down like to 903~. It's in store only bundle but I can order now and pick it up while I'm there (there is a store close to where I'm visiting)
    Yeah go to MC and pick up Motherboard+CPU and anything else worth picking up there (remember they charge sales tax depending on state), don't forget ID. I've done something similar to what you're doing a few times now to Denmark. Here it's ~$560 you can bring with you, just make sure you don't bring more than that otherwise you will get taxed, extra fee off of everything, not just the parts that brings you over the allowed amount.

You can buy the PSU there, all you need is a different power cable. Just remember it's quite heavy, extra bag is usually ~$50 if weight puts you over. Anything you're worried about breaking you can have in your carry on, just make sure it's easy to access as you're almost guaranteed to have to take it out for US customs. CPU and RAM you can probably fit in the motherboard box so it looks less of a complete build. Lastly just remember if you have no way of testing the hardware before you leave and something is DOA then you're shit out of luck.

Thankfully while traveling with someone else I can just split the items into two bags, we'll be traveling fairly light so if we take large bags it should be fine. Couldn't find anything at MC worth having, I'll give it another look in a week or two or so, we won't be traveling until end of next month so I have some time. Having everything delivered to my brother and having him bring it to me before I fly back.

Quote Originally Posted by catbeef View Post
    dunno about customs for swedish citizens re-entering sweden, but when you come back to the uk (i think everyone goes the same way, i have to admit i've never paid attention now i think about it) you just waltz past customs. you only go in if you decide you have something to declare. i have never once been asking aside to have a look in my bag. i have travelled a lot and with a variety of bags of many shapes, sizes and colours.

also it would simply not be feasible for customs to investigate every single bag on the off chance someone is doing something naughty, unless you're at a tiny airport with bored staff, i guess. don't think sniffing doggies are trained to sniff out unpaid tax items :P

and then, a very old and simple trick. throw the boxes/receipts away. tuck the parts into your clothes or some other safe place (hand luggage!) and if asked (which is already established as unlikely, in my english experiences) you simply reply something like 'yeah i took my pc to this lan in america it was great i won $50 playing in a worms armageddon competition!'
    I've been asked to stop once but that was going into the states, never been stopped coming into Sweden. either way I should be under the limit so even if I declare all of it I should be fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    I do know that things for personal use do not necessarily have to be declared while coming into the states.

As for Sweden, I have no idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver