Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Interesting figures about GW2 from the Chinese website

http://gw2.kongzhong.com/act/brand/index.html

• Copies Sold: 3 Million Copies Sold.
    • Weekly Active Users: 2.5 Million Active Users per week.
    • Rating by Game Authority IGN: 9/10
    • Average total hours played per day: 508,428 total hours per day.
    • Daily Page Views of Official US GW2 Website: 3 Million Page Views/Day.
    Last edited by Karizee; 2013-07-27 at 08:33 PM.
    Valar morghulis

3 million copy's sold and 2.5m of those people still actively play.

Not bad

I never take IGN's rating seriously, just... no

Deleted
    Nice good to see MMOs making their way over there. Although, doesn't China have censur on undead things; seeing as GW has quite a lot of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Nice good to see MMOs making their way over there. Although, doesn't China have censur on undead things; seeing as GW has quite a lot of that?
    Just bones. They removed most zombies heads too

10+ Year Old Account
    When was GW2 released in China?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Just bones. They removed most zombies heads too
    Oh okay

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    When was GW2 released in China?
    It's still in beta in China I believe

10+ Year Old Account
    It says that there is 2.5 million log ins per week. Those are not unique, but the total amount of times someone logged in. I could go log in and out 5 times right now and it would count each of those 5 times towards that 2.5 million. In does not suggest that 80%+ people that bought the game still logs in at least once a week.
    If true, the number seems lower than I would have thought.
    Last edited by Fernling306; 2013-07-28 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    It says that there is 2.5 million log ins per week. Those are not unique, but the total amount of times someone logged in. I could go log in and out 5 times right now and it would count each of those 5 times towards that 2.5 million. In does not suggest that 80%+ people that bought the game still logs in at least once a week.
    If true, the number seems lower than I would have thought.
    Then it's a good thing they state active. Your same theory can be said about a subscription game, it's irrelevant to argue.

And it's not low, most MMO's hover around 500k active players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    Then it's a good thing they state active. Your same theory can be said about a subscription game, it's irrelevant to argue.

And it's not low, most MMO's hover around 500k active players.

This number is the same as 500k players logging in 5 different times throughout the week. I'm not saying it's low, as even 50k people is fine as long as it funds the game. I just expected there to be more. Retention on mmos(all mmos) has never been a great thing though.

I mean it was expected, but thought the 2.5mil would be higher. GW2 sits at about the same popularity as Tera and Swtor on Twitch.tv. We are talking about 200-300 viewers on average.
    Last edited by Fernling306; 2013-07-28 at 03:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    This number is the same as 500k players logging in 5 different times throughout the week. I'm not saying it's low, as even 50k people is fine as long as it funds the game. I just expected there to be more. Retention on mmos(all mmos) has never been a great thing though.
    That only apply's if you are assuming that they are double counting people per week. You are assuming they are counting 1 minute log in's as active players.

You can't assume X and Y without there actually being an X and Y, the same can be said about any MMO. Publicly stating "what ifs" is irrelevant. Anet has the numbers , they give us the numbers that's what you go by, not theoretical situations.

10+ Year Old Account
    It never said that these are different accounts that are logging in. The wording actually supports them being simple log ins. I don't really care, just though I would chime in before everyone starts going off about GW2 having the best retention of any mmo ever released.

It never said that these are different accounts that are logging in.
    It never said it's the same accounts logging in... it goes both ways

The wording actually supports them being simple log ins.
    Not sure how the words active players identify as simple log ins, assuming people are just logging in and then immediately out for no apparent reason

I don't really care, just though I would chime in before everyone starts going off about GW2 having the best retention of any mmo ever released.
    Until it breaks 13 million that won't happen and that's another what if...

10+ Year Old Account
    I meant retention rate. Even WoW doesn't keep over 80%+ of everyone that buys it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It says "Weekly Active Users", nothing about logins.

I'm sure it's closer to 4 million purchases by now. They did say they were going to announce a milestone soon.
    Valar morghulis

It's obvious that it's not unique logins otherwise (as previously mentioned) that would mean that 2.5m of the 3m that bought the game still log in at least once a week. No MMORPG in the history of MMORPGs (sub or not) has a retention rate that high.

I understand why they don't release real numbers though. It's the same reason no other MMORPG does. People would react the same way that people react to the stock market. Numbers going up? This game must be awesome, I want in! Numbers going down? This game must be worse than I thought, I'm out of here!

No MMORPG wants a Black Tuesday happening to them.

You have to be delusional to think that 2.5 million of the 3 million purchasers are still actively playing each week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve View Post
    You have to be delusional to think that 2.5 million of the 3 million purchasers are still actively playing each week.
    You have to be delusional to think they're not.

1. They are chomping at the bit to tell us the "next milestone" (4 million sales) and have said so a number of times in game. I'm thinking they have to wait for NCSoft's quarterly report.

2. The game has no sub, there's no "penalty" to login.

3. When all else fails, look to the trading post.
    The recent Dragon Bash festival brought a new item called Zhaitaffy. You needed 100k of this item to make the holographic wings and it was also a currency for buff food, fireworks for an achievement, consumption for an achievement, etc. It didn't drop nearly as often as Piece of Candy Corn in the Mad King event, yet with as much of this stuff that was being hoarded, in mere days there was over 5 million of this item on the trading post.
    Valar morghulis

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scubasteve View Post
    Absolutely, what a load of nonsense that 2.5million people log in each week out of 3 million. 2.5 million log ins be it simple log ins still seems pretty good.

1. They are chomping at the bit to tell us the "next milestone" (4 million sales) and have said so a number of times in game. I'm thinking they have to wait for NCSoft's quarterly report.
    Means nothing for retention, my 2 friends I convinced to buy GW2 played 2 weeks havent logged in since, anecdotal of course but sales are no indicator of retention.

2. The game has no sub, there's no "penalty" to login.
    There's no penalty to NOT log in either seeing as the game isn't designed to force you to play regularly.

3. When all else fails, look to the trading post.
    Absolutely not an indicator of player retention.
    Last edited by draykorinee; 2013-07-28 at 06:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Means nothing for retention, my 2 friends I convinced to buy GW2 played 2 weeks havent logged in since, anecdotal of course but sales are no indicator of retention.
    As long as we are trading anecdotes, of the 329 people in my guild, there's only 28 that did not login this week.
    Valar morghulis