Poll: What do you think Warcraft the Movie will be like?

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Well, they can't make it worse than Dragonball Evolution, right? .... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    The best move the film could make would be to cast a rising starlet as Jaina Proudmoore. Since Thrall is another major character, you're almost compelled to establish a beauty and the beast romance storyline between them.
    You're assuming they will even be in the movie.

And if they were that would be a huge fan outcry to shoehorn in a romance between them when the chances for that in-game have long since passed.

Given what I heard about the first draft (told from the PoV of an Alliance Paladin about the evil Horde) I'm of a distinctly negative mindset about this movie. I definitely won't be seeing it at release.

Probably pretty awfully.

Video game adaptations usually are pretty godawful, and Warcraft's story (post Frozen Throne) hasn't exactly been... deep. It's more Saturday morning cartoon than anything else.

And then there are those godawful novels and novellas. Good lord.

Warcraft's story problem isn't limited to the movie...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skroesec View Post
    Probably pretty awfully.

Video game adaptations usually are pretty godawful, and Warcraft's story (post Frozen Throne) hasn't exactly been... deep. It's more Saturday morning cartoon than anything else.

And then there are those godawful novels and novellas. Good lord.

Warcraft's story problem isn't limited to the movie...
    originally the movie was going to be set around WC3 i think, maybe a little before, no idea what it is now.
    dragonmaw - EU

Quote Originally Posted by Darmalus View Post
    Given what I heard about the first draft (told from the PoV of an Alliance Paladin about the evil Horde) I'm of a distinctly negative mindset about this movie. I definitely won't be seeing it at release.
    I believe there were many different drafts in the beginning. The reason the movie took so long was because Blizzard kept rejecting them.

10+ Year Old Account
    I expect that it will be pretty successful from a financial point of view, considering the number of players WoW has, and how the Warcraft name is nearly a household name at this point. However, financially successful and "Good" are VERY different things. Just look at how much damn money those Paranormal Activity movies take in...

Deleted
    My rampant fanboyism will distort any legitimate criticism. It will rock.

I hope it will become a movie that I can show to people to make them (just maybe) understand why I love the game, but I think it will be like almost every other game that's been made into a movie - average/below average to bad.

With so much amazing lore it seems like a tough job to ruin in the right hands though, but I'll probably just end up super disappointed, imagining what it could have been.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    You're assuming they will even be in the movie.

And if they were that would be a huge fan outcry to shoehorn in a romance between them when the chances for that in-game have long since passed.
    You don't understand movie-making.

You simply cripple any chances of having a hit movie if you do NOT attract a female audience. It is simply not done. They WILL shoehorn a romance in this thing, and the obvious character to do it with is Jaina.

This film will not get made if they DON'T do it...

A movie that doesn't even try to win a female audience probably cannot even crack $100 million. So forget it.
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2013-07-28 at 01:05 AM.

You don't understand movie-making.
    Oh, I do. It's just that you completely ignored my point.

Thrall and Jaina aren't going to be the focus of the movie, and I doubt they will be in it at all beyond some necessary exposition for Thrall as Warchief of the Horde (depending on when it takes place).

wheres the "not enough info to come to a conclusion" option I honestly feel there isn't enough to go on at this point
    The world was just as bad when you were young as it is today. You only see it now because of your age.

Oh, I do. It's just that you completely ignored my point.

Thrall and Jaina aren't going to be the focus of the movie, and I doubt they will be in it at all beyond some necessary exposition for Thrall as Warchief of the Horde (depending on when it takes place).
    I don't see how else they are going to attract a female audience.

MAYBE Sylvanas.

A young teen idol cast as a young Sylvanas fighting undead Arthas. Eventually getting killed and turned undead. I think the chances of fail are much higher going this way though.

Garona is absolutely out of the question.

Another viable option would be building the film around Tyrande Whisperwind and her love triangle between Malfurion and Illidan. The problem is the orcs vs. humans angle gets turned into a minor plotpoint. But Women might go to see the love story, and the male audience want to see Illidan.

Perhaps a Thrall / Jaina / Arthas love triangle...

-snip-
    Or maybe completely new characters.

I doubt it will be that good, but it'll make a lot of money from warcraft fans going to see it.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Its still way too early to tell.

Legendary Pictures
    Have done some great films... and some really bad.

Duncan Jones
    Pretty solid first film. I've not see Source Code but it had reasonable reviews.

Charles Leavitt
    Its hard to judge a film writer. So much can be removed or added in the production process.

I honestly think casting can't be too far off (anytime between now and January) so we may start to hear which story arc they're planning to use.

It's going to be a tough year to realise a new film. I've read a few already established franchises are planning follow ups in 2015. However with an interesting premise and some good reviews, they may be able to get bums on seats. The biggest question is will they get enough to justify making this a franchise.

Thats the billion dollar question.

Or maybe completely new characters.
    That is definitely not happening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Goldscar View Post
    Its still way too early to tell.

Legendary Pictures
    Have done some great films... and some really bad.

Duncan Jones
    Pretty solid first film. I've not see Source Code but it had reasonable reviews.

Charles Leavitt
    Its hard to judge a film writer. So much can be removed or added in the production process.

I honestly think casting can't be too far off (anytime between now and January) so we may start to hear which story arc they're planning to use.

It's going to be a tough year to realise a new film. I've read a few already established franchises are planning follow ups in 2015. However with an interesting premise and some good reviews, they may be able to get bums on seats. The biggest question is will they get enough to justify making this a franchise.

Thats the billion dollar question.
    Considering Charles Leavitt is most famous for a movie Blood Diamond, which deals with the issues of slavery and even a touch of apartheid in South Africa. That choice points to telling the story of Thrall. That increases the likelihood of a Thrall / Jaina Beauty and the Beast tale.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like with any other movie I will judge it one 1 single criteria, if it entertains me or not.

I think it will be decent enough.

Awful. Video game movie, period. It will be terrible, mark my word.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope it's aimed towards more mature audiences really. Most wow players are now in their early 20s, I hope it doesn't end up some shit fantasy movie that seems more aimed towards young teens.
    dragonmaw - EU