Spirit Shell help please!

I've played every class out there most in raid situations except for priest. I've healed on a druid in current raids and then a paladin/shaman back in wrath. Disc has always looked like a really fun spec to play and I've finally been leveling up my priest but the one thing that I just don't get is spirit shell.

I get that the typical thing is that for a massive damage about to be taken you wanna get all your buffs up and spam PoH to get spirit shell on as many as you can. But, what other uses does it have?

I'm a total noob when it comes to priests so any help would be helpful.

I'm guessing that in most heroic 5 man content it would be rather useless since there just isn't that much damage taken at all except for 1 or 2 situations.

Is their really any use for it aside from waiting for big aoe damage and to right before that pop spirit shell and poh spam?

A lot of raids on my druid I've noticed that aside from the steady tank damage most fights will have a set aoe heal time but then most of the rest of the fight is just healing the random person who takes damage. But like what about a fight like Horridon that doesn't have that much damage for most of the fight? If adds are handled properly there's really not much aoe damage until the last phase so would a disc priest ever really use spirit shell on that fight? Or just wait til the last phase when the aoe pulsing damage is coming out and use it then?

Any help at all trying to really understand this ability would be very helpful. Thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from pre-shielding raid wide hits you can use it on CD and spam single target heals on the tanks if you're so inclined, it effectively will generate zero over heals when used like this, but is by no means necessary.

Your question regarding Horridon; it finds regular use in the heroic version of the encounter but as for normal, meh. You can use it, for instance, on the second door when a lot of people have the poison, especially if you have nobody who can effectively cleanse. it won't get wasted being used like this. But, overall, you're correct, no real ideal moment prior to war-god to use it.
    Last edited by Nasirah; 2013-07-28 at 04:52 AM. Reason: Spelling

Here's a breakdown of when I use it for each fight. Assume all of these are heroic.
    Jin'rokh: ~10 sec before storm
    Horridon: 15 sec before dire call
    Council: Whenever Kaz is empowered
    Tortos: Before stomp
    Megaera: Every Rampage
    Jikun: little use here, atonement is king
    Durumu: As maze is spawning, it is a raid health cushion
    Primordius: On CD mostly
    DA: Before Jolts
    Iron Qon: Before windstorm and on CD for fist smashes
    Twins: Nuclear Inferno
    Lei Shen: After thunderstruck when discharged energy stacks are high otherwise before thunderstruck.
    Ra-den: When the balls are being absorbed then on CD in p2

Thanks for the help!

About Tortos' Stomp: You can only SS every other one.

Some other additions (For normal though):

Ji'Kun: Every Quills.

Iron Qon: For the first quillen, when groups are about to take their AoE. Then for windstorm. Nothing interesting during frost. Then CD for Fist Smash.

Twins: For Tears of the Sun (Or w/e Suen's attack is in first phase when she pops out), then when Suen's out on CD

Lei Shen: Every other Thunderstruck, and for balls works too if you can manage it.

10+ Year Old Account
    SS plus single-target heals is great if there's two or more healers spamhealing a tank that is suffering staggering amounts of damage (likely due to mishandled mechanics.) This greatly reduces overhealing from you and the other healer(s), and can prevent oneshots. This tactic served me well on Lei Shi's trash, and on H Ji-Kun with only a single tank.

It also makes your heals bypass reduced healing effects. That alone can completely break certain mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by espoire View Post
    SS plus single-target heals is great if there's two or more healers spamhealing a tank that is suffering staggering amounts of damage (likely due to mishandled mechanics.) This greatly reduces overhealing from you and the other healer(s), and can prevent oneshots. This tactic served me well on Lei Shi's trash, and on H Ji-Kun with only a single tank.

It also makes your heals bypass reduced healing effects. That alone can completely break certain mechanics.
    Would you want to spam greater heal or flash heal?

Quote Originally Posted by Clebane View Post
    Jikun: little use here, atonement is king
    Except for Quills on nests which can be hard to heal with only Atonement.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Warstar View Post
    Flash Heal is an emergency heal and therefor inefficient. So use it in emergencies. Otherwise if tank is taking lots of damage but is not in immediate danger of dying, use Greater Heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Warstar View Post
    Probably not spam. It is good to track the spirit shell value somehow so you know when it is maxed out. Sometimes when there is only little bit of the buff left you might want to use one flash heal in the end of it when you know that you can't get in another PoH.

Still some people tend to use it only with poh and before the dmg occurs. Ofc this will result in biggest numbers but most likely won't be optimal for the fight. Especially if the damage is coming over a longer period versus a one big hit I find it very useful to cast it during the damage and not before. Gives the other healers more time to heal people up etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ClixxHeals View Post
    Except for Quills on nests which can be hard to heal with only Atonement.
    I'm usually the main platform healer with a continuous Feed Young buff.