Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

How is rift pvp?

Is it balanced? Hows the gear progression? Is there lots to do? In other words, how is it compared to WoW ?

Im a WoW player wanting to check rift out.

In a general sense

Not very balanced. This isn't a real PvP oriented game. I don't think they have tried to do a major PvP balance since chocolate when they tried to normilize gear.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RaffleSpike View Post
    Is it balanced? Hows the gear progression? Is there lots to do? In other words, how is it compared to WoW ?

To compare to wow: no competitive play... no arenas at all and no RBG, gear grind a bit tougher than wow... not something to do within a weeks normal play. They got conquest thats a bit to compare to wintergrasp/tol barad/whatev new they brought in panda xpac but it's 3 faction and a bit more pve in it. I would say it's hell of a gear grind with little reward coming with the grind. But the warfronts (battlegrounds) are fun, and soul system is amazing and since there's no competitive play you dont have to roll the best specs and can try and have fun and just play around with whatever you feel like.

Deleted
    As said above all the souls make balacing almost impossible, something like 500-1000 different specs are hard to work around. But since there aren't arenaes and you often play with a team with at least 5-10 people, balance isn't so much needed as good teamwork is (If there isn't a healer, either change yourself into a healer or just quit)
    Gear progression is long and tiresome, although I will suggest getting patron to get a 40 % bonus to both favor and prestige (first one is for buying gear and the other is a PvP-leveling system and level 60 is needed in it to get the best gear). But it is a really long progress, atleast 50 hours at level cap.

Other then that there really isn't anything particular different from WoW, so if you like that, go nuts

Ps. I don't know why but I just find Rifts PvP so fun and enjoyable (as long as we aren't getting steamrolled) and you get a daily win bonus of some exp and a box with one piece of gear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rift is not your game if you're in it for PVP.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Buxton McGraff View Post
    Rift is not your game if you're in it for PVP.
    Depends: does he like to PvP because he finds it fun and tense to play, or just because he wants to go in and roflpwn people with a 1-button macro

10+ Year Old Account
    Firstly, Trion did their damnedest to separate PvP skills from PvE - they even have their own souls or something (I wouldn't know for sure, I don't PvP). But as Lemposs said, trying to balance out EVERY SINGLE COMBINATION of souls in Rift...fuck, if Trion could pull that off, they'd be gods among men. Alas, it's just really not possible without nerfing PvE, which is exactly what Blizztard did and the main reason why a lot of people aren't happy with PvP in WoW lol. So there are PvP souls, but you certainly don't have to use them to PvP. Just make whatever spec you want and join in. You'll either do well, or you won't. But this game most certainly was NOT created for its PvP, so don't be disappointed when someone globals you to death repeatedly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Firstly, Trion did their damnedest to separate PvP skills from PvE - they even have their own souls or something (I wouldn't know for sure, I don't PvP). But as Lemposs said, trying to balance out EVERY SINGLE COMBINATION of souls in Rift...fuck, if Trion could pull that off, they'd be gods among men. Alas, it's just really not possible without nerfing PvE, which is exactly what Blizztard did and the main reason why a lot of people aren't happy with PvP in WoW lol. So there are PvP souls, but you certainly don't have to use them to PvP. Just make whatever spec you want and join in. You'll either do well, or you won't. But this game most certainly was NOT created for its PvP, so don't be disappointed when someone globals you to death repeatedly.
    This is all wrong. There are no more pvp souls, they were removed long ago. There are no seperate pvp abilities and very few abilities are different in pvp than pve.

Is PVP fun? Hell yea. Is it balanced? Hell no. But it shouldn't be, pvp itself is balanced as a general system, but the specs aren't (due to huge variances). Its why people asking for arena's are nuts and why Trion will never do it.

Quote Originally Posted by RaffleSpike View Post

Wow isnt even a pvp game either so kinda hard to compare the two.

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 12:54 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    whatev new they brought in panda xpac
    that would be nothing cause wow dev's dont care about pvp

Quote Originally Posted by Khelendros View Post
    This is all wrong. There are no more pvp souls, they were removed long ago. There are no seperate pvp abilities and very few abilities are different in pvp than pve.

Is PVP fun? Hell yea. Is it balanced? Hell no. But it shouldn't be, pvp itself is balanced as a general system, but the specs aren't (due to huge variances). Its why people asking for arena's are nuts and why Trion will never do it.
    I think they should just because its something extra to do but balancing it should be an after thought. As long as they are honest with the fact "its an after thought" I would be ok. Blizzard just kind of lied with mop. I mean pvp updates are getting faster but its just not enough in wow honestly.

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 05:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dabrix32 View Post
    Wow isnt even a pvp game either so kinda hard to compare the two.

---------- Post added 2013-07-01 at 12:54 PM ----------

that would be nothing cause wow dev's dont care about pvp
    Not totally true they mess up pve for pvp sometimes they just don't 100% support pvp. It's more like 50% but they do care slightly.
    You're right except for 2 things.

1. My name is spelt "God" not "Loucious-sama".
    2. I'm not a man, because man is inherently flawed. I am in fact a being so far beyond your comprehension that archaic constraints like flesh, blood, time and consequently, gender, have no meaning to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    only thing rift is lacking compared to wow pvp is arenas and rbgs.the rest of rifts pvp is fine,it is no more balanced or less balanced then the shit wow calls pvp.one thing is for sure the cc in rift is much much less then it is in wow.sure you can get stuned here or there,but your not going to be cc'ed for 30 secs straight then 10 sec later get another 30 sec of cc.

Armour matters,different classes have different amount of hit-points,and rifts soul tress ar e much better then wow's.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is there separate PvE/PvP armor like it is with WoW and others, or is there only one type of armor?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Excellion View Post
    Is there separate PvE/PvP armor like it is with WoW and others, or is there only one type of armor?
    its all separate and a player is boosted into the first teir of pvp gear anytime they are in instanced pvp setting.unless of course you have teir2 or 3 of the pvp sets.even wpvp pvp gear is with out question better for pvp then pve gear.

Deleted
    I play both wow and rift, pvp isva lot more balanced in rift imo and rift actually has a decent DR system, where as in wow you can be locked down an ccd to death in seconds.

Rift PvP is mostly crazy button mashing; bad and bloated ability design makes it so that most specs need a macro with all of their regular attacks in it that they spam all the time, otherwise you'd need an absurd amount of hotkeys just for your "basic" attack. And The gear grind was (is?) absolutely insane.

Rift also still runs very poorly thanks to the garbage engine. I can run GW2 and WoW at >120 FPS on high and Rift starts stuttering at minimum settings as soon as there's a couple of people fighting. It seems like it can't handle particle effects well.

It's fun for the occasional silly "Let's all smash our heads into our keyboards and see who remains standing." but little more than that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feranor View Post
    Rift PvP is mostly crazy button mashing; bad and bloated ability design makes it so that most specs need a macro with all of their regular attacks in it that they spam all the time, otherwise you'd need an absurd amount of hotkeys just for your "basic" attack. And The gear grind was (is?) absolutely insane.

Rift also still runs very poorly thanks to the garbage engine. I can run GW2 and WoW at >120 FPS on high and Rift starts stuttering at minimum settings as soon as there's a couple of people fighting. It seems like it can't handle particle effects well.

It's fun for the occasional silly "Let's all smash our heads into our keyboards and see who remains standing." but little more than that.
    first off all your really doing is talking about macros,lmfao.you fail to bring up that rifts pvp is more or less like wows use to be.lots of wpvp going on,ARMOUR matters,remember when that use to be the case in wow how many x-pacs ago?everyone has different amount of hits points,you know things that make classes and specs different form one anther.

as far as macros go,rifts are far far better then wow ever was.you can reduce "bloat" because you can marco more then one ability together but GC still limits how much you can spam.wow has key/ability bloat and a good player will need at-least 15+key binds just to player his toon at a certain level.there was just a blue posts about how the devs want to clan that up in the future,lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nykolas View Post
    I play both wow and rift, pvp isva lot more balanced in rift imo and rift actually has a decent DR system, where as in wow you can be locked down an ccd to death in seconds.
    I disagree, Rift PVP is extremely imbalanced; Defiant usually wins 4 out of 5 matches and they are not even competitive, more often than not complete blowouts.

Like WoW healers are OP, and if you don't have a specific support class on your team like someone with a Dominator build to target heals they are almost impossible to kill. Rift like WoW but even more so, is the side with the most heals wins and Defiant seems to always have more heals.

If you plan to play PVP in Rift I would recommend doing it on the Defiant side.

Quote Originally Posted by Cobaltius View Post
    I disagree, Rift PVP is extremely imbalanced; Defiant usually wins 4 out of 5 matches and they are not even competitive, more often than not complete blowouts.

Like WoW healers are OP, and if you don't have a specific support class on your team like someone with a Dominator build to target heals they are almost impossible to kill. Rift like WoW but even more so, is the side with the most heals wins and Defiant seems to always have more heals.

If you plan to play PVP in Rift I would recommend doing it on the Defiant side.
    I play guardian and I win all the time, it must be your luck. /shrug.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by meathead View Post
    its all separate and a player is boosted into the first teir of pvp gear anytime they are in instanced pvp setting.unless of course you have teir2 or 3 of the pvp sets.even wpvp pvp gear is with out question better for pvp then pve gear.
    Well then I suppose I'm gonna have to read up on that gear and such because I think I would like to get into some pvp some day.

As a casual, pre-60 player in Rift I love pvp. Maybe it's the different maps or the millions of options in terms of building your character to play the way you like, but so far I really really like it. Is it perfect? No, but then again it's more than enjoyable enough to make up for it. I don't know how it is at top level, but until then I will be having lots of fun.