Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The devs want people to be able to catch up faster

Seriously why do we even have leveling anymore, if there are so many aspects of the game that are meant to bypass it.
    Ask any one who plays wow when does "wow begin" and most of the people would probably say "endgame". Why not just have one character that you can level up to max, and after that every other character you create should already be at max level (unless you check a box that allows you to level it again).

I mean it's actually goten to the point where instead of thinking about ways on how to make leveling more fun or "lets get people more interested in leveling by offering some sort of rewards" they're just adding ways to get more xp and ways to make it go FASTER

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people really enjoy the leveling process, I however do not. Leveling is a long grind where people learn their class and supposedly experience it a new way each time.
    Since the introduction of newer features, it is as simple as getting to level 15 and opening up the lfg/pvp tools.

I understand it's a long and drawn out process, but it's the price to pay for re-rolling or wanting another character to play on.

Quote Originally Posted by shells View Post
    Leveling is a long grind where people learn their class and supposedly experience it a new way each time.
    This is why. If everyone was given free level 90s the moment they hit 90 with any one character, the quality of LFD/LFR, even though such a thing seems impossible considering their current state, would plummet even further into the depths of hell and there would really be no return if that ever happened because Blizzard is very reluctant on removing features they've implemented.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shells View Post
    Leveling is a long grind where people learn their class
    There is nothing in levelling that teaches you how to play your class, at least not in any competent way.

Leveling up I want to be max level for something to do. At max level I wish I was leveling again for something to do.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    This is why. If everyone was given free level 90s the moment they hit 90 with any one character, the quality of LFD/LFR, even though such a thing seems impossible considering their current state, would plummet even further into the depths of hell and there would really be no return if that ever happened because Blizzard is very reluctant on removing features they've implemented.
    LFD and LFR aren't that bad.

I do LFR when I get home from work on Wednesday and we usually run it right through.

LFD... well, sometimes I get mages doing 11k dps, other times I get Enhancement Shamans doing 430k DPS.

Sure, it's frustrating you see those 11k dps mages more than the 430k shamans, but thing is, players who do a lot of dps don't really need the dungeons anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wish they would level cap the game and invent new reasons to do the questing. It would be a big change, but i think they could make it work. Some kind of secondary leveling system. Idk i'm not the pro game designer, they could come up with something though.

Quote Originally Posted by Vereesà View Post
    Except that isn't true anymore. Leveling is extremely fast and you don't learn anything about your class. I've never once played my class correctly while leveling in Cata or MoP despite knowing how to play. Blizzard is teaching people to be dumb more or less.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

Deleted
    old zones would be empty

catching up faster is ok, the game has 90 levels for christs sake

Leveling teaches absolutely nothing. I have leveled pretty much every single class and it is only when I reach max level do I start researching gear, stat and rotation priority. Last night I was in a LFR at Jin'Rokh with 2 stacks of determination we almost wiped again with about 10 sec left till the fourth conduction. A free 90 will not change nothing. People that care about how classes work and want to play optimally will continue to research the skills. People that don't will still not care.
    Last edited by testsubjectzz; 2013-07-29 at 10:12 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by testsubjectzz View Post
    Leveling teaches absolutely nothing. I have leveled pretty much every single class and it is only when I reach max level do I start researching gear, stat and rotation priority. Last night I was in a LFR at Jin'Rokh with 2 stacks of determination we almost wiped again with about 10 sec left till the fourth conduction.
    It teaches you what skills you have and what they do.

I could play my warrior and just press 1 and 2 with 4 as filler until 3 lights up, but I wouldn't know why and that would make it ridiculous.

While leveling I learned that crits from Bloodthrist enrage me, Colossus Smash makes me deal more damage, Wild Strike is a rage dump and when I hit bloodsurge I get free Wild Strikes.

Raging Blow can stack twice and deals a good amount of damage.

Now, by logical thinking, I would wait until Bloodthirst crit twice, giving me 2 Raging Blows or wait until my 1 Raging Blow was about to expire and right before using my Raging Blow I'd use my Colossus Smash, giving me a lot stronger Raging Blow.

If you actually take time and see what your new skill does, which you should or else you're making the game boring yourself, you can learn a lot.

Given, not every Warrior will know to stack Crit to get frequent double Raging Blows in a single Colossus Smash window, but they'll atleast know Colossus Smash makes him/her do more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    There is nothing in levelling that teaches you how to play your class, at least not in any competent way.
    Esp. now that damage scaling even in low levels is through the roof and you just have to use 1 or 2 buttons to one shot mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Insarius View Post
    It teaches you what skills you have and what they do.

I could play my warrior and just press 1 and 2 with 4 as filler until 3 lights up, but I wouldn't know why and that would make it ridiculous.

While leveling I learned that crits from Bloodthrist enrage me, Colossus Smash makes me deal more damage, Wild Strike is a rage dump and when I hit bloodsurge I get free Wild Strikes.
    Yet you don't learn anything about pooling rage, that you shouldn't stay at rage cap, when to use CDs(cause they are totally unnecessary while leveling). Also, a lot of people WON'T learn to "wait until Bloodthirst crit twice, giving me 2 Raging Blows or wait until my 1 Raging Blow was about to expire and right before using my Raging Blow I'd use my Colossus Smash, giving me a lot stronger Raging Blow". A lot of people would learn "ooh Raging Blow hits hard, I should use it as soon as soon as it's available!"(cause the "logical" thing to many people is strongest move=use it as much as possible as soon as possible) and "ooh Col Smash makes me hit harder, I should use it as soon as I can!"(despite them having little rage to actually USE anything in that CS window). You also don't learn about saving rage for Execute periods, cause Execute is barely used. By the time a normal mob is at 20% health, they're basically 1 hit away from death with ANY attack, so you don't really see how much stronger Execute is...assuming you get an Execute use at all, as due to the damage dealt vs low mob health, your killing blow can often be one of your regular abilities(Raging Blow, Mortal Strike, Slam, whatever) that hit when the mob was at 25-30%. Even if you pay attention to the tooltips and learn the "basic" rotation, there's STILL a lot most people will miss(I mean, there's certainly nothing in game to tell someone rather you should Overpower or Slam in a CS window...)

Maybe everyone should be given the option to start at lvl 55 like Death Knights.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooboy View Post
    That's one of the biggest problems with WoW. The endgame is totally different and disconnected from everything else.

Just because you CAN use a catch up mechanic, doesn't mean every WILL use it.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

If the purpose of leveling is to teach you how to play your class -- well, we have an alternative to that now in the form of Proving Grounds.

Leveling is a time sink. A barrier between you and having all the classes at cap for the sake of there being a barrier between you and feeling the game is behind you.

It would be far easier to teach the player how to play through a small series of challenges tailored to their class / role. Strip all the abilities away except the ones you're trying to teach in a particular encounter.

As a couple examples; strip everything away from a Hunter except for Concussive Shot, frost trap, snake trap, and their pet and teach them to kite. Then do one with freezing trap and Silencing / Interrupting Shot, put 2 mobs in the arena with them, and tell them to prevent both mobs from getting a spell off. Now you're teaching CC.

But the level grind existing is too valuable for them to do away with.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

I used to enjoy it, but now it is a bit of a hassle. Even with CRZ, the areas are fairly empty - if i do see someone, it's a highbie stealing my leveling nodes. BoA gear made things too easy - they should cut the stat boost/gain per level by 50%, so that the items aren't OP, but average.

The problem with an insta-90 catchup mechanic is that it'd be brutal on progression players. "We really need a Shaman for this fight, Chrth go create, gear, and master one before next raid night."
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

actrualy progresive players brake the eula (at least in some of the guilds i was in).
    The tank is going on a 1 month holiday? can i have your account so I can tank while you're gone? just tell me the gear you want.