Page 1 of 19
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

So Detroit is bankrupt yet we send billions a year to Israel?

There is actually a conversation about this? I'm not for baling out anything, to be honest, but we're even asking the question here? How about we pull the billions spent in foreign aid and help our own damn city? Is Israel more important than Detroit? Yes or no? If we can't afford to bail out Detroit, why are we funding Pakistan? How about we stop giving money to parasites, stop letting American corporations bypass minimum wage by shipping jobs to China, and end the FED and FIX Detroit?

Oh right, because this is the designed implosion of our country. Take a good long look at Detroit, that is (in my opinion) the design for every city and state in this union. This country is being ripped apart from within.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." - Thomas Jefferson

10+ Year Old Account
    While I agree that we shouldn't be giving a cent to Pakistan, Detroit isn't going to be saved by any reasonable amount of government money. It is the geographical embodiment of failure.

Meanwhile, Indianapolis is doing amazingly, as always.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    While I agree that we shouldn't be giving a cent to Pakistan, Detroit isn't going to be saved by any reasonable amount of government money. It is the geographical embodiment of failure.

Meanwhile, Indianapolis is doing amazingly, as always.
    What's basically being said here is, it's more important to fund Pakistan than help our own city. That is the message the Government is sending to us. If it would be made illegal to bypass minimum wage by shipping jobs to China, that's what would help Detroit. When GM takes bailout money and opens plants in China, that's what hurts Detroit.

The city has been shit since forever.

Why do people express concern all of a sudden

Because the news allows it to make headline LOL

we'd rather send pakistan billions than save detroit

Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    we'd rather send pakistan billions than save detroit
    yeah Detroit should just burn down at this point

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    I'm sure there are many, many areas of society that thinks they'd have better use of that money.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Quote Originally Posted by Schillinger View Post
    There is actually a conversation about this? I'm not for baling out anything, to be honest, but we're even asking the question here? How about we pull the billions spent in foreign aid and help our own damn city? Is Israel more important than Detroit? Yes or no? If we can't afford to bail out Detroit, why are we funding Pakistan? How about we stop giving money to parasites, stop letting American corporations bypass minimum wage by shipping jobs to China, and end the FED and FIX Detroit?

Oh right, because this is the designed implosion of our country. Take a good long look at Detroit, that is (in my opinion) the design for every city and state in this union. This country is being ripped apart from within.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around [the banks] will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. The issuing power should be taken from the banks and restored to the people, to whom it properly belongs." - Thomas Jefferson

Funny that you only mention Israel in your thread title, and only one other country as receiving our aid in your post. And by funny I mean "Obviously trying to appeal to the israeli bashers on this forum"

Yeah, stuff is fucked up. They hate us (A lot of the countries we give aid to) and yet we still throw money at them. What can you do? nothing. Its already settled and in motion :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sells View Post
    Funny that you only mention Israel in your thread title, and only one other country as receiving our aid in your post. And by funny I mean "Obviously trying to appeal to the israeli bashers on this forum"

Yeah, stuff is fucked up. They hate us (A lot of the countries we give aid to) and yet we still throw money at them. What can you do? nothing. Its already settled and in motion :P
    I mentioned Israel in the title because they receive the most aid both militarily and financial. We give aid to China while being in debt to them. Egypt while it's currently illegal to (considering it's a military coup). There is no common sense with any country aid is given to. Israel is as parasitic as the rest of the nations that receive American tax dollars, probably worse considering the amount and what they do with it.

Deleted
    Israel is more stratigically important to you than Detriot. While I personally think the politics of Isreal are appauling, I can see it's use. Destabilsing the region for Iran is a US foreign policy goal.

So yea, it makes sense.

Israel is as parasitic as the rest of the nations that receive American tax dollars, probably worse considering the amount and what they do with it.

In your opinion.

we should terraform detroit into a water park. win win situation
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Israel is more stratigically important to you than Detriot. While I personally think the politics of Isreal are appauling, I can see it's use. Destabilsing the region for Iran is a US foreign policy goal.

So yea, it makes sense.
    Isn't the issue with Iran about protecting Israel to begin with? So we're paying Israel to be strategically important to protect Israel? This blind worship of Israel needs to stop. Hitler is dead. Hitler isn't coming back. No need to fund Israel over our own damn country.

10+ Year Old Account
    While you make a cogent point - that the US sends billions of dollars to foreign nations, who turn around and use it for somewhat unsavoury purposes, all while ignoring its own problems at home - I find it interesting that you are so fervently against Israel.

You say "Hitler is dead", and "Hitler isn't coming back", but you use the name and avatar of a television character who was a Neo Nazi.

Hitler may be dead, but his ideals are alive and well - quite possibly in someone such as yourself.
    Something about this doesn't jive well with me.
    Last edited by Atrea; 2013-07-29 at 08:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    A Black Land of Sorcery and Nameless Horror
    to be honest its a problem in most western countries but particularly the USA and the UK. I guess its a form of bribery we give aid in the hope of them doing what we want. the overly powerful israeli lobby probably helps secure far more funding than the country merits but its not just israel. pakistan and a host of other countries all get cash. until recently the uk was donating to nuclear regional superpower india a country with its own space program. Personally if i was american id be more inclined along a Ron Paul type approach of america first and focus on home issues. i dont believe giving aid works and i dont believe taxing your perhaps struggling citizens to then give that money to foreigners is a fair thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    While you make a cogent point - that the US sends billions of dollars to foreign nations, who turn around and use it for somewhat unsavoury purposes - I find it interesting that you are so fervently against Israel.

You say "Hitler is dead", and "Hitler isn't coming back", but you use the name and avatar of a television character who was a Neo Nazi.

Hitler may be dead, but his ideals are alive and well - quite possibly in someone such as yourself.
    Something about this doesn't jive well with me.
    The character in my avatar has nothing to do with my opinion in this thread. I am not a neo nazi, I do not agree with white supremacy or the deep end Hitler went off on. It is merely a coincidence, the same as placing a breaking bad character in your avatar and posting about drugs.

Deleted
    Isn't the the issue with Iran about protecting Israel to begin with? So we're paying Israel to be strategically important to protect Israel? This blind worship of Israel needs to stop. Hitler is dead. Hitler isn't coming back. No need to fund Israel over our own damn country.
    Well no. Essentially Israel is increases the sphere of American influence in the region. (you think Israel would be able to get away with what it does without the US on thier side, its like the aparthied in South Africa. They were fine until the US stopped backing them. Or maybe even you could compare the support to Suez Canal Crisis, as soon as America said it wouldn't support the UK, France and Isreal the UK and France realised they weren't the big boys anymore in the world).

Anyway back on point. Iran has no real offensive capability, it has alot of soft power in the region. It destabalizes countries like Afganistan and Iraq. Which goes against what the US wants in the region. Iran supports terrorism pretty strongly. Having an ally in the region that can project its military power, provide strong intel and push it's agenda is infinately more valueable than Detroit.

Detroit has been having problems going on YEARS now. I doubt throwing them money would have made the situation better. since pretty much the ONE big source of jobs they had moved elsewhere. but, I agree that we should not give our money to either Pakistan OR Israel since I really detest both of them. but then again I'm for dramatically cutting foreign aid to pretty much everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ctd123 View Post
    Well no. Essentially Israel is increases the sphere of American influence in the region. (you think Israel would be able to get away with what it does without the US on thier side, its like the aparthied in South Africa. They were fine until the US stopped backing them. Or maybe even you could compare the support to Suez Canal Crisis, as soon as America said it wouldn't support the UK, France and Isreal the UK and France realised they weren't the big boys anymore in the world).

Anyway back on point. Iran has no real offensive capability, it has alot of soft power in the region. It destabalizes countries like Afganistan and Iraq. Which goes against what the US wants in the region. Iran supports terrorism pretty strongly. Having an ally in the region that can project its military power, provide strong intel and push it's agenda is infinately more valueable than Detroit.
    I really don't want to turn this into an Israel thread, but all I'm going to say is that I am very against the way Israel is treating Palestine. For that matter, I don't support any action or 10 year old wars in the middle east to begin with. We have a larger conflict on our own border with the drug cartels.

Deleted
    Throwing good money after bad is never a good idea i heard.