Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Did 5.2/5.3 implement any freebie quest epics for newcomers (like firelands/dragons)

I've been out since last year and will relevel my 85 priest to 90.

I want to start doing my mogushan stone quests pretty soon to catch up however I'd need 460 gear for it.

I don't want to use JP as I'm storing it for the new valor.
    Don't want to use Honor as well, since 496 honor gear comes out real soon.

I know sha of fear gives a 476 boot, but I don't think people even do that !#@@! anymore.

So, are there any intro quests in 5.2/5.3 that reward you with some 460-476 gear without grinding barrens tokens?

Might as well not hold on to all that JP and honor because when the new season starts and the new tier comes out, all that gets converted to gold and you start from scratch.

Everyone does sha still.

Once you hit level 90, you will be greeted with a quest in your factions city (two moons/seven stars) for the 5.3 questline. The questline will go away when 5.4 drops since the questinline is an intro into 5.4. While farming the mobs in barrens, they have a chance to drop epic gear. Example, remember the shadowcraft upgrade gear from back in vanilla for Rogues? Darkmantle? Well its a carbon copy of that gear but with an iL of 4xx (i forget exactly what iL off hand). All other classes have the exact same vanilla gear with mop stats on them.
    Last edited by Sicarius87; 2013-07-29 at 10:03 AM.
    Intel i9 9900K @ 5GHz | Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 @ 3600MHz 2x8GB | Asus Maximus XI Z390 | Asus RTX 3080 Ti OC | Corsair HX850 Platinum | Corsair H150i Pro CPU cooler | Acer Predator 32" 2560x1440 170MHz | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB m.2 NVMe SSD | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB m.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair K70 Rapidfire Keyboard | Corsair Virtuoso XT RGB Headphones | Corsair Crystal Series 570x RGB Case | Logitech G604 | Windows 11 Professional x64
    My Youtube Channel

Deleted
    The 5.3 questline gives 502 boots. If you do all Isle of Thunder questlines and a few dailies you can buy a 489 belt for gold.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedi View Post
    The 5.3 questline gives 502 boots. If you do all Isle of Thunder questlines and a few dailies you can buy a 489 belt for gold.
    Correction, the belts (Horde/Alliance) are item level 476.
    Last edited by Vereesa; 2013-07-29 at 10:23 AM.
    Vereesa formerly of Paragon and Depraved
    WCL

after hitting 90 fly to the seat of knowledge and talk to lorewalker cho. complete his 2 quests and scenarios. finish the barrens and get the supplies by killing commanders/ or looting broken caravans. you can tag commanders with 1 dmg but be aware they hit hard. once you have 150 of all supplies +15 from the start.. head back to voljin and get your mojo. buy any latent kor'kron helm/pants/ anything off the ah and you can turn it into a 489 item. you can get 502 shoes from the quest the old emperor after talking to cho in the barrens.

those are your 2 freebies.. you can get 476 honor gear as well but as you said.. you'll need it for the reset items later.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambushu View Post
    Might as well not hold on to all that JP and honor because when the new season starts and the new tier comes out, all that gets converted to gold and you start from scratch.
    What? No. The JP and Honor will still be available. OP has the right idea since all pre-SPA VP gear will be purchasable with JP once the patch lands.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Deleted
    - the Sha of Anger (not fear) gives some pvp gear and tokens for hands and legs 496 (but I admit people rarely kill him on my server nowadays)
    - Galion gives some good 496 items (same thing as the Sha, he's mostly left alone on my server)
    - Nalak is a good source since he drops items 496 ilvl pvp and set hands and legs 522 (on the isle of thunder)
    - You can buy the pvp starter set (458) of craft it, it should up your Ilvl a bit from quest greens
    - Like it's been said, the chain quest of battlefield barren gives you 522 boots.
    - The weekly quest of the barrens gives you a mojo that, combined with some cheap to get tokens, gives 489 stuff.
    - with honored reputation on the kirin tor (or sunreaver) offensive, you can buy a belt 476 for gold.

Anyway I wouldn't recommand hoarding justice just now. You can convert them to honor (375 justice => 250 honor I think), and buy 476 items. And justice is not hard to make with dungeons and scenarios.
    Justice won't be reset next patch probably, but you should at least buy a few pieces of honor gear with it just to get started on the LFR

Can anyone confirm that? I was thinking about saving my points.

Short Slot Summary of what will be able with JP in 5.4:
    Back: i496 Kirin Tor Offensive/Sunreavers
    Chest: i489 Golden Lotus
    Feet: i496 Op Shieldwall/Domination if character doesn't complete 5.3 quest for i502 Boots
    Fingers: i496 Kirin Tor Offensive/Sunreavers has one, Op Shieldwall/Domination has another
    Hands: i489 August Celestials
    Head: i489 Shado-Pan
    Legs: i489 Klaxxi
    Neck: i489 Klaxxi
    Shoulders: i489 Golden Lotus
    Trinkets: i496 Op Shieldwall/Domination and i489 Shado-Pan
    Waist: i496 Op Shieldwall/Domination
    Wrist: i489 August Celestials

Weapons, as always, are a challenge. I recommend avoiding the expensive "Reborn" line of epic weapons currently available on the AH, and try to get cheaper weapons. As a Priest you may want to see if you can get a cheap Inscribed Crane/Serpent Staff made (i476), or at least an offhand red or jade fan.

NOTE: I listed the faction the items are purchased from, but my understanding is that you will not require rep with the faction to purchase the items as of 5.4.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Voodo View Post
    Blizzard has never, ever, ever, reset JP or HP mid-xpac*. EVER. Heck, they didn't even reset VP when 5.2 dropped. There's no reason to believe they'll do so this time.

*Unless I'm forgetting something from three years ago.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Voodo View Post
    valor and conquest MAY get converted to justice and honor, if that puts you above the 4k cap, whatever amount of points you got above 4k will be converted to gold, probably at a rate of 20 silver / point

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    As a Priest you may want to see if you can get a cheap Inscribed Crane/Serpent Staff made (i476), or at least an offhand red or jade fan
    Last i checked, the inscription staves were account bound, and takes 20 days of untradeable cooldowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

May not be a direct answer to your question, but Conquest gear is ilvl 496 and has a lot of sockets. You also get to pick the slots you upgrade. If you can find someone to carry you or drop your MMR low enough to win some 2s games (or even better - find some low level rbgs) you'll get significantly better gear than what many have suggested.

Quote Originally Posted by zoomgpally View Post
    Last i checked, the inscription staves were account bound, and takes 20 days of untradeable cooldowns
    Are they account-bound? My bad. Fans aren't tho, plus there are craftable Blacksmithing i463 items that don't cost 10k or more.

- - - Updated - - -

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet: once you get to i480 (regardless of how you get there), there's a quest to run a Heroic Scenario that guarantees an i516 item upon successful completion. The quest is available inside the Shrine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently 476 honor gear is the most easily obtainable before getting into LFR or raiding. Farm JP and turn it into honor then buy some shit to boost ilvl until you can get full of LFR gear.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

Quote Originally Posted by TEHPALLYTANK View Post
    Currently 476 honor gear is the most easily obtainable before getting into LFR or raiding. Farm JP and turn it into honor then buy some shit to boost ilvl until you can get full of LFR gear.
    This tactic is getting nerfed in 5.4 though.

woah you mean valor didn't get reset for throne of thunder?

I might resub earlier to get 4k since I could use some 2200 pieces of 553 gear.

Once you hit level 90, you will be greeted with a quest in your factions city (two moons/seven stars) for the 5.3 questline. The questline will go away when 5.4 drops since the questinline is an intro into 5.4. While farming the mobs in barrens, they have a chance to drop epic gear. Example, remember the shadowcraft upgrade gear from back in vanilla for Rogues? Darkmantle? Well its a carbon copy of that gear but with an iL of 4xx (i forget exactly what iL off hand). All other classes have the exact same vanilla gear with mop stats on them.
    489, but you need the item from weekly quest to upgrade them to actual gear

- - - Updated - - -

Are they account-bound? My bad. Fans aren't tho, plus there are craftable Blacksmithing i463 items that don't cost 10k or more.
    They are account bound on live, not sure about ptr

There are also some weapons around dread wastes(450 ilvl iirc) and some archaeology weapons, gun, agility staff, 1h str sword, offhand(and a bad trinket, but ilvl), all 463 and can be upgraded
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Deleted
    You sure that the Valor epics now will be avaialble with JP in 5.4? I tought they will do like they did with 5.2 and 5.3 and just lower the valor cost of the older valor items.
    Last edited by mmoc9a401b276e; 2013-07-29 at 02:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by umppa View Post
    You sure that the Valor epics now will be avaialble with JP in 5.4? I tought they will do like they did with 5.2 and 5.3 and just lower the valor cost of the older valor items.
    From the Patch Notes:

• Adjustments have been made to Mists of Pandaria faction quartermasters.
      • Epic quality (purple) Valor items sold by the Shado-Pan Assault now have their reputation requirements reduced to Friendly or below, and have their Valor Point cost reduced by 34%.
      • Epic quality (purple) Valor items sold by all other Mists of Pandaria faction quartermasters no longer have reputation requirements, and will now cost Justice Points instead of Valor.
      • Rare quality (blue) items have their Justice Point cost reduced by 75%.
      • No changes for items that require an Exalted reputation.

From the Patch Notes:

• Adjustments have been made to Mists of Pandaria faction quartermasters.
      • No changes for items that require an Exalted reputation.
    I'm assuming this means Mounts and such....but I wonder if the Revered req recipes are lowered. Namely the August celestial ones (I hate those quests and can never force myself to get my enchanter to do them)