Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do your characters have a backstory?

Whether or not you RP, do you create a backstory/lore for the characters you play? Do you name them and transmog them according to the story you've created for them? What is your story for your character? How important are they in the events in WoW for you? For me, I don't RP at all since I'm on a PvE realm, but I still like to create stories for them.

I recently made a Pandaren Shadow Priest, which I rationalized by saying they are afflicted by the Sha. I gave my Pandaren shaman the title "of the Four Winds", saying to myself that not only is he a Shaman, but his ancestors came from the valley of four winds. My mage, Arcanagosa, is a blue dragon that takes the form of a Highborne sorceress to keep an eye on the mortals.

Tell us your stories!
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Deleted
    My goblin warrior was an ordinary bruiser on Kezan...But now he is slayer of dragons!

i used to have one... but then i faction changed and my blood elf assassin transformed first in a night elf, then a worgen, then human and now pandaren so... i don't know who she is anymore

Sort of, I kinda think of my main character as basically jumping between each of the games I play that allow me to make my own character
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Yes, but its way to NSFW to post it

Not one I've written down or anything but yes, my Shaman and Priest have their own back stories in my head.

Deleted
    I don't roll a character unless there is a compelling backstory to justify them. Each and every one.

10+ Year Old Account
    A little bit for each one, yeah. Not too involved and nothing I've taken the liberty to write out. I just want Grimtotem facepaint for my Druid.

Quote Originally Posted by composemail View Post
    I don't roll a character unless there is a compelling backstory to justify them. Each and every one.
    I'm the same way. I can't really get into a character unless they have an actual background.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quite the same as you, OP. Not on an RP server, but still like to think of my character's background and motivation. Where'd they come from? What do they think of the situations as they unfold?

It helps with immersion, which is completely possible in this game unless you're an uptight grimdark nancy.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Destinas View Post
    Whether or not you RP, do you create a backstory/lore for the characters you play? Do you name them and transmog them according to the story you've created for them? What is your story for your character? How important are they in the events in WoW for you? For me, I don't RP at all since I'm on a PvE realm, but I still like to create stories for them.

I recently made a Pandaren Shadow Priest, which I rationalized by saying they are afflicted by the Sha. I gave my Pandaren shaman the title "of the Four Winds", saying to myself that not only is he a Shaman, but his ancestors came from the valley of four winds. My mage, Arcanagosa, is a blue dragon that takes the form of a Highborne sorceress to keep an eye on the mortals.

Tell us your stories!
    I RP, so yes, every one of my characters has a story. It'd take me all day to go through them all, but my personal favorite RPwise, though I haven't gotten around to leveling her 85-90 yet, is my Draenei shaman. She's a former paladin who lost her ability to speak due to an old war injury, lost her faith, and spent several years wandering the world before hearing the call of the elements.
    When asked about the role of women in video games, Samus Aran said, "..." - and then she blew up the planet. AGAIN.

Sort of, it's too overpowered to be used in an RP scenary, but my Goblin Shaman - Falular, is a master Alchemist / Engineer (these are his proffs ingame), that uses his gadgets and capabillities in tweaking his totems to exploit the elements and enhanc his lightning capacity for extra burst.
    He's also loyal to the Horde, while maintaining close relationships with his neutral comrades of the steamwheedle cartle (he is not loyal to his racial leader).

It kinda translates in my transmog choice, I almost always mog one of my many goggles, only mog a non goggle headpiece for PvP.
    I try mogging Lightning / fire themed gear when i'm in elemental specc (which is my main). but don't bother changing it for my OS (resto).

I also got back stories for all my alts to some extent - I really enjoy the Warcraft lore, and I find giving my chars a backstory to be a positive thing.
    Last edited by Falu; 2013-07-29 at 12:01 PM.

Let see Cladriah was a mage apprentice in elwynn forest till the lust for more power eventually turned him into a warlock. Cladriah spent his time as a warlock till an agent of the Argus Wake gave him an offer he couldn't refused. This led to some immoral, horrific, and traumatizing incidents. He fled in the night, and eventually joined the Alliance army. Of course, they do not know the full story.
    I do have a full story.

Most of my character have a detailed background. I'm not on a RP server, but I use several RP specific addons to give my character extra flavor when I play them. My wife also does this with her characters. Eventually, when we get the money, we hope to get statuettes of our characters (about 8 in total) from the FigurePrints site. We're quite attached to our characters...

10+ Year Old Account
    My character was born, now she fights.

That is my story.

Quote Originally Posted by Falu View Post
    Sort of, it's too overpowered to be used in an RP scenary, but my Goblin Shaman - Falular, is a master Alchemist / Engineer (these are his proffs ingame), that uses his gadgets and capabillities in tweaking his totems to exploit the elements and enhanc his lightning capacity for extra burst.
    He's also loyal to the Horde, while maintaining close relationships with his neutral comrades of the steamwheedle cartle (he is not loyal to his racial leader).

It kinda translates in my transmog choice, I almost always mog one of my many goggles, only mog a non goggle headpiece for PvP.
    I try mogging Lightning / fire themed gear when i'm in elemental specc (which is my main). but don't bother changing it for my OS (resto).

I also got back stories for all my alts to some extent - I really enjoy the Warcraft lore, and I find giving my chars a backstory to be a positive thing.
    I find Goblins to be simple and fun characters to write about. They're an awesome race, with a lot of potential. My Goblin Warlock, in my mind, isn't even a warlock. He simply hires demons with a binding contract, and uses flamethrowers. Plus, engineering-looking transmog is always fun to use when it makes sense.

15+ Year Old Account
    I originally had one back in Vanilla but it kinda got lost over time. So I just say her past was too painful and that is why she became a whirlwind of reckoning and retribution.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Yes I do. I have for many years for many of my characters.
    I try to write them down because they do mean a lot to me, and its pretty decent stories too.

All of my main characters have an Origin story which shows how they became who they are. I haven't gotten around to write it all down yet though.

Right now I'm more focused on a 4 part series which features a Forsaken, blood elf, human and worgen. The first storyline taking part during the forsaken-gilnean war, second in the Forsaken-Alliance war of Andorhal, Third in Felwood and the last in various timelines as the Lead (the forsaken) infiltrates the caverns of time.

I never RP in game though, but I do like to have a backstory. Its what keeps me interested

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Having a backstory for a character in WoW is essentially pointless because nobody cares, except on a RP-realm.