Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Seefer View Post
    12 million down to 7.7 million in 2 expansions, and if it isn't making a dent I again point to the 600 lay offs in 2012......I bet that hurt those 600 people.
    But Blizzard doesn't operate just with one game.

I point out once more because people conviniently ignore the reality of:

-no sub based MMO has ever reached 12 million subs
    -no sub based game has ever kept almost 8 million subs after 8.5 years
    -in fact..no sub based game ever reached 8 million subs ever in their life span
    -no game (sub based or not) has kept growing or maintaining their player numbers over more than 8 years

Add to that Blizzard keeps pumping out other sucessful games like SC 2 and the Diablo franchise...and is working on the next gen MMO Titan....
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

I don't think they'd hit the break-even point until the subscription level hit around 2 million. And at the current rate, that'll be in about 4-5 years.
    Intel i5 2500K (4.5 GHz) | Asus Z77 Sabertooth | 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP 1600MHz | Gigabyte Windforcex3 HD 7950 | Crucial M4 128GB | Asus Xonar DGX | Samson SR 850 | Zalman ZM-Mic1 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Fractal Design Arc Midi | Corsair HX650

Tanking with the Blessing of Kings - The TankSpot Guide to the Protection Paladin - Updated for Patch 5.4!

Scarab Lord
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post

-no game (sub based or not) has kept growing or maintaining their player numbers over more than 8 years

Add to that Blizzard keeps pumping out other sucessful games like SC 2 and the Diablo franchise...and is working on the next gen MMO Titan....
    Also no game has the dev team that Blizz does, as has been shown on the previous page people have been laid off already.

If the game continues to lose subs then the dev team will continue to lose staff

Never. I mean They Are litteraly Going to do the Free to play Market's in game store, and still have a sub, as long as people buy From the in game store, They litteraly make more money then others games
    Last edited by ragemv; 2013-07-29 at 08:23 PM.
    (i am 20 and dyslexic so yes i suck at spelling)

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post

Diablo 3 was a piss poor game and I wouldn't really classify it as a success, and before that all they had was SC 2 and WoW......guess which they pump out the most content for, that's right...........WoW.

As for your 4th point Mario and Zelda say hello, as for your other points? Who cares what other MMOs have done when I am talking about the state of WoW as it is NOW...........oh and Titan is most likely not going to happen and if it does it looks like 2016.
    No child these days ever gets to hear those all-important, character building words: "You lost, Bobby! You lost, you're a loser, Bobby!" They miss out on that. You know what they tell a kid who lost these days? "You were the last winner." A lot of these kids never get to hear the truth about themselves until they're in their twenties. When their boss calls them in and says "Bobby, clean the shit out of your desk and get the fuck out of here, you're a loser."

My theory is that they all expected it and prepared for it. It wouldnt take a company with billions in annual revenue to predict that the Lich King story line would likely coincide with the games peak subscription rate. One in the business may also have predicted that as the game aged, more "higher-end" games would come around and take some of the market. Bottom line, Blizz has been around for a while and they probably had a reasonable expectation of how the game would age. They might not have been right about every little thing, but they have to have had the idea in their heads that the game would peak and then gradually decline.

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    Never. I mean They Are litteraly Going to do the Free to play Market's in game store, and still have a sub, as long as people buy From the in game store, They litteraly make more games then others
    They make 3 games..........Sony and Nintendo alone trump that shit.
    No child these days ever gets to hear those all-important, character building words: "You lost, Bobby! You lost, you're a loser, Bobby!" They miss out on that. You know what they tell a kid who lost these days? "You were the last winner." A lot of these kids never get to hear the truth about themselves until they're in their twenties. When their boss calls them in and says "Bobby, clean the shit out of your desk and get the fuck out of here, you're a loser."

Sub losses won't cause a problem for Blizzard's money supply until 1-2m subs. Any changes before then are just due to them scrambling to save more free money for themselves.
    "I realized it is the struggle itself that is the most important. We must strive to be more than we are. It does not matter that we will never reach our ultimate goal. The effort yields its own rewards." -Data

Diablo 3 was a piss poor game and I wouldn't really classify it as a success, and before that all they had was SC 2 and WoW......guess which they pump out the most content for, that's right...........WoW.

As for your 4th point Mario and Zelda say hello, as for your other points? Who cares what other MMOs have done when I am talking about the state of WoW as it is NOW...........oh and Titan is most likely not going to happen and if it does it looks like 2016.
    The Diablo franchise, even with D3, is still one of the most successful RPG franchise in history. D3 still has a massive population, and has made millions. It is a incredible success even if some people didn't like it.
    The SC franchise is considered one of the biggest e-sports in many countries, and is arguably the most successful RTS franchise in history.

His 4th point is taking about a single game, not a franchise. No Zelda or Mario game has kept (or grew) in player numbers over 8 years. Even OOT, which is considered to be one of the best games ever made did that.

I am not sure who cares? Who cares what you think who cares. So Diablo 3 was a piss poor game? So you think it wasn't a sucees? I guess Blizzard should be gald you are not somebody to decide what is a sucess and what is a failure.

It still sold over 10 million. To compare: Diablo 2 sold 4.5 million. It was considered a great game, yet LOD x-pac sold only 1.5 million. So...whatever you THINK of D3, what counts for Blizzard as a company is: how much money they made of it. And how piss poor or not it was, we shall see with the sale figures of the x- pac. If they are down 60% of the main game...well..they still sell more than the actuall D2 main game.

Fair enough that you talk about the stae of WoW today. You are still not willing to accept the points that are undeabteable. WoW is at a state that no other sub based game has been before after a running time of 8+ years.

So what if Titan happens after 2016. Blizzard does plan beyond that.

No idea why you sound like you take this all personal?

- - - Updated - - -

They make 3 games..........Sony and Nintendo alone trump that shit.
    Yes..and Microsoft trumps Apple in OS. Is this about who shits the biggest piles?
    One cause is a cognitive bias called projection bias. Essentially living inside your own head your entire life makes it exceedingly difficult to understand how others do not also live your same life, think your same thoughts, and hold your same beliefs. In many cases it's quite frustrating to try to empathize and understand why you yourself may not be the center of the universe, which generally results in one 'acting out' in various ways.
    So, in short: the internet.

WHEREVER I WANT AINT NO ONE GONNA DO NOTHIN ABOUT IT IMMA T-REX
    I'm sure it's plenty of hurt for Blizzard in the sense of lost revenue, but I also think that's the nature of the game aging, and I think it still has enough subs that they're doing quite well despite it.

As far as hurting the game itself, well that depends on how they handle dying servers. It looks like viritual realms may correct this so the game plays just as enjoyable with 6 million as with 13.
    AbathurSnuggles: Blizzard Alpha Videos

For Moderation Concerns, please contact a Global:
    TzivaDarsithisRaduxArleeSimcaElysiaZaelsino

I'm sure Blizz is smart enough to have plans for sub number decreases. They are not just sitting there and going "omg, I can't believe we had sub losses in WoW!" every quarter. They are a mature enough company where they are able to structure, and re-structure as needed to support a reducing playerbase.

Now, if you are asking what sub number is the bare minimum for Blizz to keep WoW going until they claim it dead.....well, we really can't make any kind of educated guess at that.

I liked Diablo 3.

A lot of other people like how Diablo 3 currently is, too.

It had its fair share of issues but Blizzard has been hellbent on tweaking it, and so they have.

Also considering how many units they sold of the game, yes, it was a success.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Transorcers, Warlords in disguise.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

Every subscription lost is like a dagger in Ghostcrawler's heart.
    I'm determined to someday make Med'an awesome. (MickyNeilson)
    ´So.. sorry to bring this up but..you know that .."thing" (Med'an).. is that "thing" cannon still?
    ...as much have some have wished otherwise, yes. (Loreology)

Losing subs hurts of course it does, and there is going to come a point that the amount of subs don't cover the running costs.

I remember an article in 2008 that said upkeep (all in) was about $50m a year, does that work out about 300k subs? (my Math is bad), inflation and all and I think the dev team is now bigger rather than smaller so maybe they need 500k subs?

This is all total utter pie in the sky of course, no one apart from the big wigs at blizzard actually know, but I can 100% guarantee you they do know.

I am not only looking at the losses in the last quarter but I am looking from the moment the first news of decline came. We where at 12.000.000 and from there we went to 7.7 million. So almost half of what it was and probably still declining. That is a lot of losses. There has to be some impact.

Also if we look at the only this year, the losses are quite huge, almost 2.000.000 losses in the first half.
    It is impossible that Blizzard is not trying to turn things around, because these kinds of losses will hurt not only Blizzard as a company but the game also.... less income means less money to spend!

Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Every subscription lost is like a dagger in Ghostcrawler's heart.
    I just got an image in my head of Ghostcrawler reading an unsub letter and shedding a tear. It was beautiful.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

WoW is still massively profitable for Blizzard so those who think the subscriber figures are killing the company are kidding themselves. I am 100% positive that MoP wasn't as successful as previous expansions and failed to lure back a lot of players who unsubscribed because of the whole Panda vibe and negative stigma that was quickly attached to it the moment it was announced, and if they reveal a Burning Legion-themed expansion this year and roll out new race models they'll regain a significant number of subscribers and sell more copies of expansion 5 than they sold with MoP.