View Poll Results: Do you like underwater levels.

Voters
537. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

287 53.45%
  • No

250 46.55%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Brewmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    This just in: your anecdotal observations do not constitute a larger reality
    You are saying that if I , with my eyes problems , can play perfectly well in a water environment .. normal people cant do it ?

Seems a l2p issue to me.

PS: I'm talking about gameplay mechanics that do not differ that much from ground fight apart from those few skills like heroic leap. I never
    said that since I like it then everyone must like it too. So please don't try to use that against me .
    Last edited by Justforthis123; 2013-07-31 at 03:30 PM.

I really don't get how so many people had so much trouble in this place as a melee. No, really, I do not understand how it was difficult for you. Warriors had Charge, Paladins have Judgement to get the mobs to come to them, Rogues have Shadowstep to get in range or Throw to get the mobs to come to them, Druids had Faerie Fire or Kitty/Bear Charge, Death Knights have Death Grip and ranged spells to get the mobs to come to them, and Monks have the ability to make mobs rush them as a tank or ranged attacks to get the mob to come to them. If I recall, Shamans also have the ability to make things come to them, so not a big deal.

Looting was hard? How was looting hard? If you were fighting something as melee, it's corpse is RIGHT THERE BESIDE YOU, FLOATING WHERE YOU KILLED IT. Or, in the cases where they didn't float, they just dropped straight down where you could pick it up in two seconds. The swimming didn't feel slow because you had Sea Legs which boosted things significantly, and the Sea Horse didn't take that long at all to get so you were zipping around at faster than maximum flight speeds.

It looked awesome, it had a lot of great quests, and yes some of the places for mobs, drops, or NPCs were a bit awkward to find, but I never really minded that much since I tended to remember after the first or second time. And if it happened again? It was probably because I was zoning out and not paying attention, in which case I can't really blame anyone but myself.

Yes, it was also impossible to use AoE spells in the middle of the water, but if you don't like that, then you have the option in a lot of areas to stick to the floor of something and attack mobs that way. How was casting a pain? I don't get it at all. I loved Vash'jr and found it a lot more interesting than Hyjal, and leveled far more alts underwater than above it.

My deviantART

Proably most easiest melee to use in Vashj'ir is the frost dk. All you need is to tab target and spam howling blast, collecting the loot is more a task than this.

So, if you ever got even a slight problem in Vashj'ir, use a frost dk.

If you used a frost mage with frost nova down there, its bad. But its something that the developers of this game must handle more effeciently, the idea of the zone itself was excellent. It added a ton of atmosphere to an aged mmo, that couldn't provide anymore, since we first stepped into elwynn forest in vanilla and looked around.

Pandaland provided absolutely nothing on this agenda all i saw was a lot of boring zones with the only exception of Island of Thunder added in patch5.2, and back there in vanilla mop, it was the first time i wanted to get to the max level asap. Heck it even had only 1 starting zone with only green terrain...if thats not a big step backwards in comparission to wotlk and cata what is? I am surprised people did accept this that easily.

I only regret, that Vashj'ir was just a low level zone and blizz did skip the planned neptulon raid.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2013-07-31 at 07:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    Casters have to move just as far, unless there is some loot from distance spell I missed out on. Stop crying over something that isn't even there.
    I'm talking about combat, not how far you have to move to get shinies. Having an entire expansion based around piss-poor mechanics (Hint, underwater combat) is not something that should ever be done unless underwater combat is completely revamped.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

I liked Vashj'ir, and for those who complains about the speed, you had a 400% speed underwater mount if I recall correctly.

The scenery was nice and the quests were good, got alot of knowledge about Naga lore.

Quote Originally Posted by This Guy View Post
    I liked Vashj'ir, and for those who complains about the speed, you had a 400% speed underwater mount if I recall correctly.

The scenery was nice and the quests were good, got alot of knowledge about Naga lore.
    Again, it's not the speed under water or having to swim to loot shinies. It's the speed you swam at in combat. For Melee, it's akin to being perma slowed. Ever tried PvP? It's like being a Ret paladin before they were given Emancipation.
    "Reason is not automatic. Those who deny it cannot be conquered by it." - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Thassarian View Post
    Again, it's not the speed under water or having to swim to loot shinies. It's the speed you swam at in combat. For Melee, it's akin to being perma slowed. Ever tried PvP? It's like being a Ret paladin before they were given Emancipation.
    Have you even played Vashj'ir? Movement was awesome there, it was fast and quick after you got the buff like doing the 2nd quest there. You had a %480 speed mount. And combat as a melee was very very engaging. I played a feral druid, fury warrior, Retribution paladin, Frost Death Knight all through vashj'ir.

You might not like the underwater zones, and thats ok. But Vashj'ir and 1k Needles both give you huge movespeed bonuses underwater. So dont complain about speed.

Mechagnome
    The idea behind it, and from a distance, it's really neat. The scenery is beautiful, too. However, when you're actually down there questing and in combat, it feels like you're on the moon. I'm sure it can be smoothed out, but the darker and dingier zones make it stale for me.

Because World of Warcraft does not have underwater depth perception.

though really its not a bad thing that people hate vashj'ir

it just means less people visit it, and that can play into your interests. i wouldn't count on getting reins of poseidus, but there are a lot of advantages to people just generally disliking Vashj'ir, and I am perfectly fine with that.

it is difficult to quest in hyjal on a pvp server because of cross realm sometimes

almost no one will even bother you out in vashj'ir
    they say that doors open up soon as you find the missing key
    that’s probably why I’m in this bitch shining
    jump up in the sky and put the stars into alignment
    I rep the ATF in case you need to be reminded
    and the bandwagon's full but you can try an' run behind it

I don't get it. I went through here as melee. No problems at all. Vash is far and away my favorite zone in the game. It's not even that difficult to navigate.

I truly don't understand peoples issues with perception on mob location and quest locations. I mean the quest one I sort of get because people are used to having their hand held from A-B, but the mob one is senseless. Just look at it and move towards it, from one melee to another, it's not that hard.

Vashj'ir was my favourite zone in all of Cata. Not because of the 3D movement (which I didn't mind at all, but was also not the thing that made me love it), but because of the story, the creatures, the design, the music, etc.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Holy Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Most would disagree with you.
    Actually, according to the poll in this thread, so far most would AGREE with him lol.

I personally loved Vashj'ir (as I mentioned in the other 10 million threads about this same exact topic) and would love for them to make more zones like it. Hell, we have a mount that ONLY functions in that one zone, and that really sucks. (Ok, the AQ bugs only function in the instance, I get that. But EVERYONE gets the seahorse in Vashj'ir just doing the quests, and it can only be used out there. I really want more seahorse action!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .

I'm not against Underwater zones.

I just don't think Blizzard did it correctly. It -works- from a game engine stand point, but I feel that it could be better and better. Mechanically, objectively, on plot wise.

I feel the same about Flying in game, and how some Vehicle-based quests work.

Despite being an advanced Warcraft 3 Game Engine, I understand it's an old engine and there are issues when creating new engine code to get things to work, but these types of things don't seem to be that much of a hassle compared to other Engine coded they've added and tested through out this expansion and last expansion.

TL;DR Version: They half-a**ing it.

I grew up playing Mario and Sonic and water stages bring me back bad memories.

not sure why the hate. any zone where you have to be underwater for a LARGE part of time, you get some sort of mechanic where you can run along the sea floor or a swim speed buff. 1000 needles was awesome after the revamp. Vash'jir was the absolute best zone in cataclysm (except maybe uldum). So i have no idea.
    "You are not prep--" *ROGUE BURNS PREPARATION* "Aw shit."

Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    I love when the encounter moves to 3D. It immediately separates the keybinders from the clickers.
    The problem is not keybinding, but lack of depth perception on a 2D screen. You literally can't tell where in 3D space your character actually is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Dunno. Vashj'ir is one of my favorite zones.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Water combat is horrible, especially as a melee. It's all fine and dandy being able to cast at a target ~somewhere~ in front of you, try moving towards it, and then the right height, and then oh nvm the target moved. 3D sucks.
    While I agree that those things can be annoying to deal with I never found them so annoying that I despise underwater levels/zones. I will say, however, that most game designers are absolutely horrible at creating underwater levels/zones(I still dread that TMNT Dam level on the NES).

Controls seem clunky underwater.

Plus bad memories from the water temple in Ocarina of Time.

Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Water combat is horrible, especially as a melee. It's all fine and dandy being able to cast at a target ~somewhere~ in front of you, try moving towards it, and then the right height, and then oh nvm the target moved. 3D sucks.

Vashj'ir was made well, but Water is just not fun to fight in. I've only ever done that place once - for guild rep - never will I go back.
    Melee combat is Vashj'ir was fine... if you were a rogue with Shadowstep.
    Since 9/11 the NSA has spent at least $70,000,000,000 while lying about their own effectiveness. Even if we sweep aside the extensive lawbreaking, ethical problems, economic damage, and abuse of power, the fact remains that the NSA makes us all less secure, running useless mass surveillance, with a handful of successes in other questionably legal programs.