Poll: Do you like underwater levels.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Personally I think it was a fantastic idea. It a different dynamic on movement having to consider what could be above, below, in front, behind, to the left or the right adds more depth to situational awareness.

Also the scenery was awesome. Much better than the same ol' trees and grass. All the underwater caves, and monsters which had never before been seen by the land dwellers.

Even the music was great.

Of coarse this is my opinion of it. I regularly see the opposite opinion on these forums though.

Tell me why you do or do not like underwater battles.

Simply saying, "because they are dumb" is not constructive. Give actual reasons please.
    Totally agree. I loved Vashj'ir. I would not build entirely an expansion on underwater zones but to have one like Vashj'ir. Besides that, water should have a great role within the game. I understand it can break the immersion to find the invisible borders while traveling at sea in game but I think the oceans could have more gameplay around them.

Simply saying, "because they are dumb" is not constructive. Give actual reasons please.
    Vashj'ir sucked mainly for two reasons:

1) Being unable to estimate distances in three dimensions with cartoony artstyle. Especially with oversized terrain and plants you could never really say for sure how far or close things are that are above or below you. This makes PvE hard when you can't estimate what is or isn't in range of aoe stuff, pulling, aggroing or touching.

2) Points of interest in three dimensions. Things that appear on minimap and you hover right where it should be isn't there... Is it up or down or bug? Nobody knows... Leads into minutes, sometimes hours of hide and seek with quest mobs, questgivers, and other fluff you're looking for. Also the terrain features easily hides sparkly quest items you need to click if you're approaching from wrong angle, which is something that almost never happens in normal 2D maps.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Water combat is horrible, especially as a melee. It's all fine and dandy being able to cast at a target ~somewhere~ in front of you, try moving towards it, and then the right height, and then oh nvm the target moved. 3D sucks.

Vashj'ir was made well, but Water is just not fun to fight in. I've only ever done that place once - for guild rep - never will I go back.
    Perfect explanation here. Even as a caster it wasn't a lot of fun, looting targets/items that were floating felt rather awful.

The combat wasn't that bad if you stuck to the sea floor. Which is where most of the quest mobs were located. And seeing as how they follow you, kiting one to a solid ground wouldn't be hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Treelife View Post
    Water combat is horrible, especially as a melee. It's all fine and dandy being able to cast at a target ~somewhere~ in front of you, try moving towards it, and then the right height, and then oh nvm the target moved. 3D sucks.

Vashj'ir was made well, but Water is just not fun to fight in. I've only ever done that place once - for guild rep - never will I go back.
    This sums up my feelings, though I play a warlock so no real combat bothers me. Ranged DPS and Healers shouldn't really care one way or the other due to how easy it is to fly/swim while performing your role. However being a tank/melee is significantly more challenging imo. Personally I find that regardless of your role it isn't hard but I can see why tanks and melee especially hate underwater/flying.

Also looting sucked a bit but with aoe looting even looting isn't annoying.

It can be interesting if done right but can't do too much of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've hated under water levels in every single game I've played.. except wow. Giving us seahorse, and the ability to run fast on the zone's floor were really cool. I think the underwater zone in wow was really nice. Done better than any other game I have played.

10+ Year Old Account
    I enjoyed Vagina Ear and wouldn't mind a patch centered around that sort of thing. I get where melee are coming from though, that had to be annoying.

I also share the sense that movement was slower somehow, but that was fleeting.

My main problem with Vash'jir (though I liked it, more or less) was that it sorely affected my depth perception. I could never tell if the mob was too high above me, too far below me, whatever. I'd spend entire quests cursing to myself as I tried to line myself up with whatever I was supposed to be interacting with. I play primarily melee toons. It made fights infuriating.
    The Devil Wears Transmog
    World of Warcraft Fashion for the Discerning Adventurer

Vashjir looked great, and I enjoyed it more than I expected too... the problem is movement restriction, its just a pain in the ass...thats the only problem I have, but for me its a big problem. Everytime I was in Vashjir and I entered a cavern or a huge turtle shell where I was back on land it felt so nice that I didn't want to go back into the water... the experience felt negative.

because i'm not playing Aquaman: the Game

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomservo View Post
    because i'm not playing Aquaman: the Game
    And i'm not playing Kung Fu Panda: The Game.

But you know what, it was done well and people like it. Don't be a jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Most would disagree with you. And I believe that blizzard said the feedback on the zone was not great. I would not expect it.

After seeing the zone once and never finishing the quests there I never went back on ANY alt characters.
    If you're a fresh melee from Northrend that doesn't have any LK raid armor, you're life in Vashjr would be a living hell compared to a Laser Chicken under the same circumstances. That zone made me want to quit Cata until I tried Hyjal, which was much friendlier.

The Vashjr quests were 50/50 (cool story stuff, annoying mobs and locations), while finding certain zones was a pain in the ass. Deepholm and Uldum were pretty neat.

And i'm not playing Kung Fu Panda: The Game.

But you know what, it was done well and people like it. Don't be a jerk.
    Sheesh, calm down. Vasjhr was a shitty zone.
    Last edited by Orkwuzhere; 2013-07-30 at 06:19 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orkwuzhere View Post
    If you're a fresh melee from Northrend that doesn't have any LK raid armor, you're life in Vashjr would be a living hell compared to a Laser Chicken under the same circumstances. That zone made me want to quit Cata until I tried Hyjal, which was much friendlier.

The Vashjr quests were 50/50 (cool story stuff, annoying mobs and locations), while finding certain zones was a pain in the ass. Deepholm and Uldum were pretty neat.
    Funny enough, My main is a Moonkin and my 1st Alt is a Warrior. Moonkin was a cake walk since we have underwater speed right from the start. Plus being ranged made life much easier.

The Warrior wasn't bad though. Again, I had it easy since I could charge at my target. but charging doesn't help you when you are bombarded by a patrol that came up on you with out you noticing. Even with that said, it really wasn't that bad. Maybe I fought KT too many times and got used to flying around.

Sheesh, calm down. Vasjhr was a shitty zone.
    I'm quite calm = ) damn text not displaying the tone of a comment.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would have loved to see an underwater dungeon or *dreams* raid...

More depth, lovely scenery, you nailed it, OP.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    I would have loved to see an underwater dungeon or *dreams* raid...

More depth, lovely scenery, you nailed it, OP.
    I would feel sea sick.

No but seriously the mechanics in this game just don't go well with 3D movement in water.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    I disagree. And this is coming from someone who has levelled all of his characters trough Vashj'ir instead of Hyjal. But the reason isn't that I just like Vashj'ir so much but rather Hyjal is a ganking Mecca on a high pop PvP realm.
    I just went to vashj'ir to gank people of your attidue, while i am used to gank in Hyjal, but i like underwater corpses and people suffering the horrors of beeing killed in an underwater zone they don't enjoy and like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Whitepaw View Post
    Vashj'ir was amazing. Loved that zone, wish they had added a raid to it. The story/quests, the environment, the 5 man instance at the end - simply amazing!
    well the kraken and the big white shark stories in addition to all the old god business with the nagas made this really lovely when it comes to lore.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drknife View Post
    Completed vash'jir for the first time this week. 150~ quests. It was one of the worst (non other player induced) experiences I've had in wow.
    1. The constant blue starts to make you go crazy.
    2. It really feels as if blizzard had stopped caring towards the end of the quest chain. I kept encountering bugged enemies, bugged quests (erunak's final quest n throne of the tides has a huge bug), and overall the diversity of quests just tapers off.
    3. Underwater combat is awful as melee.
    4. Quest hub design is dreadful for alliance. The final hub in abyssal depths takes 5-10 mins ride on seahorse to get back to.
    5. Vash'jir is the biggest zone in the game and it is full of nothing.
    6. No battle pets in the zone. None.
    How ridiculous, dude.

1. what do you even mean?
    2. it was bugged at the release but patched and hotfixed long ago, you play on a private server, or what?
    3. Its not, otherwise proove what you claim here. I played exclusively melees in Vashj'ir, aoe spells might be hard to use, but melees combat is fine.
    4. Loving it, but well hard to find people that do not like the seahorse. Amazing game expierence.
    5. I was sad it ended at some point and it was full of awesome and beauty other zones desperatly lack.
    6. No pet battles? Thats another plus.*lol* why the freak should anyone care about pokemon? You deal with a dark place contestet by neptulon and old god forces, no room for cute pet battles, but you might catch a ghostcrawler.
    Last edited by Tyrannica; 2013-07-30 at 10:59 PM.

Its not too bad as a ranged class but its really terrible as melee. I also hate how you have to swim around so much to actually loot what you just killed because the depth perception in the game isnt very good. If they put another one in, I wouldnt cry about it unless you had to go there a lot for like dailies or farming. Underwater dungeons or raids? No ty, flying would be ok though since gravity would still cause your loot to drop to the floor. You also seem to move slower underwater.

I wonder if the last quest is still bugged or not. I was never able to finish it due to said bug and it hadn't been fixed through much of Cataclysm.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Many people don't really like to fight in a full 3D environment. It's not just underwater. It's any fight where stuff can come at you from any direction other than front-side-back.
    I WoW it think it has more to do with clickers running into a brick wall. And the clicker gamers take up a huge chunk of the playerbase.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Its not too bad as a ranged class but its really terrible as melee. I also hate how you have to swim around so much to actually loot what you just killed because the depth perception in the game isnt very good. If they put another one in, I wouldnt cry about it unless you had to go there a lot for like dailies or farming. Underwater dungeons or raids? No ty, flying would be ok though since gravity would still cause your loot to drop to the floor. You also seem to move slower underwater.
    It's the same f*ckin thing for a caster as for a melee. The only not idiotic argument is the looting part.