Poll: Do you like underwater levels.

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 12
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why all the Under Water Level Hate?

Personally I think it was a fantastic idea. It a different dynamic on movement having to consider what could be above, below, in front, behind, to the left or the right adds more depth to situational awareness.

Also the scenery was awesome. Much better than the same ol' trees and grass. All the underwater caves, and monsters which had never before been seen by the land dwellers.

Even the music was great.

Of coarse this is my opinion of it. I regularly see the opposite opinion on these forums though.

Tell me why you do or do not like underwater battles.

Simply saying, "because they are dumb" is not constructive. Give actual reasons please.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many people don't really like to fight in a full 3D environment. It's not just underwater. It's any fight where stuff can come at you from any direction other than front-side-back.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Personally I think it was a fantastic idea. It a different dynamic on movement having to consider what could be above, below, in front, behind, to the left or the right adds more depth to situational awareness.

Also the scenery was awesome. Much better than the same ol' trees and grass. All the underwater caves, and monsters which had never before been seen by the land dwellers.

Even the music was great.

Of coarse this is my opinion of it. I regularly see the opposite opinion on these forums though.

Tell me why you do or do not like underwater battles.

Simply saying, "because they are dumb" is not constructive. Give actual reasons please.
    I love when the encounter moves to 3D. It immediately separates the keybinders from the clickers.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Many people don't really like to fight in a full 3D environment. It's not just underwater. It's any fight where stuff can come at you from any direction other than front-side-back.
    This. Even flying to a target and getting exactly on that target is not 100% easy. I have to adjust my view around to make sure I am in the right spot. Especially if I am dropping from the air.

10+ Year Old Account
    Vashj'ir was an amazing questing zone imo. We need more.

I feel like I move slower than out of water, the controls are usually different and feel clunky, I don't like the 3D environment, and I actually have anxiety or some kind of mild paranoia about being underwater or in water and not being able to tell what's around me. Video games are especially bad about this, because water areas are often inherently dangerous. I would legitimately not be able to play an underwater zone like Vasjh'ir, so while I'd never say "Blizzard never add another one because I wouldn't like it," I have to say that I really hope Blizzard never adds one that is in any way required.

Vasjh'ir was beautiful, but I couldn't stand it.

Water combat is horrible, especially as a melee. It's all fine and dandy being able to cast at a target ~somewhere~ in front of you, try moving towards it, and then the right height, and then oh nvm the target moved. 3D sucks.

Vashj'ir was made well, but Water is just not fun to fight in. I've only ever done that place once - for guild rep - never will I go back.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    Vashj'ir was an amazing questing zone imo. We need more.
    Most would disagree with you. And I believe that blizzard said the feedback on the zone was not great. I would not expect it.

After seeing the zone once and never finishing the quests there I never went back on ANY alt characters.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Maybe because lots of class mechanics, usually the ones involving a reticle to place a spell on the ground, don't fucking work in a Z axis environment.

10+ Year Old Account
    There has never been a water level in a game that I liked or has been fun. Vash'jr is nice looking but thats about it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Most would disagree with you. And I believe that blizzard said the feedback on the zone was not great. I would not expect it.

After seeing the zone once and never finishing the quests there I never went back on ANY alt characters.
    Yeah, I realize that most seem to hate it unfortunately.

Oh well. Its something I can live without, but I'll remain hopeful.

Basically people don't like it because now they have to deal with mobs and enemy players coming from three axis (the Z axis) instead of just two (X and Y). I like it however, because of 1. it adds depth to gameplay and 2. it adds new battle strategies. Personally, I like it, and I think they should add aerial combat as well.

I really wanted to love Vash'jir. I like to look at it. But at the end of the day, I hated leveling through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    It was a nice change and a nice enviroment

But it really comes down to the fact that true 3D movement and feeling there of is so incredibly hard to replicate on a screen. Especially when you are in a third person perspective, where you don't have this feeling of complete control and situational awarness that is needed to coordinate yourself

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Underwater is tough to make work well due to 3D motion. Which is why any Azshara expansion will have a land-route and a sea-route.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

It would be pretty simple to do a 2d underwater zone in the Maelstrom. Simply state that the current of the Maelstrom is too strong for you to go much above the ground level, period end of sentence. That way they can have a pretty underwater zone, but it won't be a flying zone so you won't have z-axis issues or people skipping levelling quest content. Add in an 'underwater flying' book you can purchase at level 95 and you're set.

I adore underwater art and I loved the feel of Vash'jir. I love swimming around in the other underwater areas they've done. I hope they do more underwater zones. But I do realize that being able to fly above quest content and avoid obstacles gives you less immersion in the quest 'story'. Keeping you bound to the ocean floor would solve some of that.

I liked them alot, visually beatuful and introduced something new. But I can understand the argument for not liking them as a melee class.

A 2d screen is a terrible way to covey a 3d environment. That naga that looks in arms reach in front of me is actually well out of agro range and behind me. I have to spin my camera wildly to find the guy harpooning me. Plus the mini map has crude, at best, indicators of up/down.

It's just a very frustrating experience.

The zone, itself, was gorgeous.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like vashjir, was an awesome zone, great music, cool quests, makes you pay attention to the world

Swimming is too slow (in wow) for my taste...