Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

Paying the in-game shop to make a character level 90

I saw a posts on the blizzard forums about this, and thought it may be worth bringing up here - with blizzard likely selling xp potions soon in the in game store (which isn't for sure of course, but it does look like there's a good chance this will happen), do you think it would be a good idea for them to sell making your toon max level for a fee? It may sound silly now but then again, faction changes were unheard of back in the day and now we see them in alive and well (and leaving many servers extremely lop sided).

Pros:

- A lot of people find leveling boring, but content at max level fun
    - "Why would you care what goes on with someone else's character"
    - People too busy to level

Cons:

- May make the game weird, and introduce buying other stuff down the road such as gear
    - People may not learn to properly play their class and get frustrated
    - No, just no!

Post your thoughts!

Deleted
    It's merely a matter of time. I'll give it a few years till they start selling pre-made characters though. $80

I'd pay for max level 90 toons, but I'm not sure my value and Blizzards value with that function would line up.

Deleted
    Well, I will guess it will come. Blizzard money hungery have not seen to amaze me. The ACTUALLY freaking ingame store was what broke the "wall" for me, I pretty sure it will come, just as a honor/justice Points boost(100-200% more for an hour or day) Buy mogu runes(or at that time the currensy for the raid finder at that time) Probaly increase Weekly cap of valor and conquest points

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really think this will ever happen, nor the purchasing of gear, as this would basically make World of Warcraft a pay-to-win game. It is comfirmed, however, that they will sell experience gain boosters in the form of the Potion of Wisdom I think it was called. Personally, I like this potion because to be completely honest with you I seriously dislike leveling, and will definitely purchase an item like that the moment it goes live in order to alleviate the 80-90 grind for some of my alts.

In regards to con mentioned by the OP about "making the game weird". Can you please elaborate on that? In what ways would it make it weird?

As for the con where "people may not learn to properly play their class and get frustrated". I'm gonna tell ya something. I didn't learn to play my class while leveling. I didn't even learn to play it after reading tons of guides and participating in theorycrafting on websites. I learned after lots of hours of raiding and practicing in different situations because my cup of tea is PvE content. I think the same could go for a PvP'er that would learn by participating in RBGs, dueling people and running arenas. It is very rare to see a person that as a fresh 90, knows everything there is to learn about his/her class. You also have to consider the Proving Grounds coming next patch, which will also help people get used to their class' mechanics in different situations.

As a final thought, the day WoW becomes a pay-to-win game will be the day I unsub, and I think many players feel the same. That's why I don't think power purchases are ever going to make it to the game. I could be wrong, though, and that would signify an extra $15 I could spend every month on other video games.

I'm ok with experience boosts, but not free 90's.

I know, it's a little strange, but you gotta draw the line somewhere.

anyone who isn't brain dead or some sort of sub-human mutant can learn a new class at 90 in about 15 minutes or less. i've done it on the ptr, lots of people do it on the ptr. so the crying and bitching about learning to play ain't got shit on this. leveling didn't teach me a damn thing anyway. i learned more once i got to max.

I'm not really okay with paying for a level 90 character, and I would never pay for one either. Leveling and questing is a part of the game after all.

Surprised it hasn't happened already.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcstunner View Post
    anyone who isn't brain dead or some sort of sub-human mutant can learn a new class at 90 in about 15 minutes or less. i've done it on the ptr, lots of people do it on the ptr. so the crying and bitching about learning to play ain't got shit on this. leveling didn't teach me a damn thing anyway. i learned more once i got to max.
    I will say, I have the same opinion here, I honestly think for the most part, leveling doesn't teach you much about your class. My brewmaster tank for example, leveling, dungeons, and even dungeons at 90 had almost nothing in common with something like raiding. Ditto with a lot of other classes, in particular healing classes.

Deleted
    I wouldn't buy it. I'd rather level a character and l2p than hitting 90 and having no fucking clue how half the abilities should be used.

I'd buy XP boosts, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Castochi View Post
    I don't really think this will ever happen, nor the purchasing of gear, as this would basically make World of Warcraft a pay-to-win game. It is comfirmed, however, that they will sell experience gain boosters in the form of the Potion of Wisdom I think it was called.
    Hmm... where do you draw the line between experience boosters and something that gives you max level? Also, I know recruit a friend, for a while (it may still) give you a level 80 toon with greens - was that pay to win as well? Definitely seems like big changes are on the horizon, time will tell though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Potentio View Post
    It's merely a matter of time. I'll give it a few years till they start selling pre-made characters though. $80
    I would pay that.
    @Ghostcrawler:Some advice: [My pet issue] is why there were sub losses is one of the weaker arguments players use. Players don't have that data.

If they added this the price would be the only thing keeping me from doing it

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pay-to-Win.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Exploring selling an XP boost to Asian markets =/= Free 90's for US/EU players.

Deleted
    At this point I think most people who are against it are too tired to care anymore.

Leveling doesnt teach you anything and the game mechanics vs zone plot continuity is so out of sync that NPC might as well inform you about Ludonarrative Dissonance when your quests turn gray.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    At this point I think most people who are against it are too tired to care anymore.

Leveling doesnt teach you anything and the game mechanics vs zone plot continuity is so out of sync that NPC might as well inform you about Ludonarrative Dissonance when your quests turn gray.
    Disagree. Leveling doesn't teach you how to heal, or how to tank, or how to not be a douche.... but it does teach you how you play the class.

If you could just skip to 90, everybody would be clicking their horribly laid-out buttons.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

If they're going to sell max level characters, they might as well make the game not have levels anymore and make the entire game content in such a way that everyone can do any of it at any point they wish. This means people won't be able to solo old content, but it also means players who never got to do that content would get to experience it like it was in the days it was fresh. But what would be the incentive? Each new tier brings new and better gear. Why would players do Molten Core if they already have gear from Throne of Thunder? Other than a repair bill, the only thing they might get out of it is the enjoyment of doing the content, which really doesn't go far.

Paying for a max level toon would give players with cash an unfair advantage, and this is precisely why Blizzard condemns gold sellers. There are enough horrible players in the game that had 90 levels to learn to play their character. I can't imagine what it would mean for us if a player were to hit 90 and not have a clue what any of their buttons do but they decide to jump into a dungeon anyway and see if they can learn on the fly.

What about new expansions? Does this mean players who pay to hit 95+ would automatically get it on the first day without any reason to do the quests in each zone? Why even have Realm First max level achievements at that point?
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

Considering this gives you no end game advantage at all, I don't see the problem. Nor do I see any sensible reason why they shouldn't, just a lot of stupid ones like:

- No, because levelling is part of the game (stupid because it's Blizzard's game and if they're not restricting the levelling process to you they can do as they please with other people's gaming experience)

- No, because you *have to* learn to play as you level (stupid because no player is obligated to be good for your sake)

- It will lead to them selling end-game gear (which is simply a non-sequiter - just because you can't tell the difference between levelling and gearing up doesn't mean Blizzard can't)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    Disagree. Leveling doesn't teach you how to heal, or how to tank, or how to not be a douche.... but it does teach you how you play the class.

If you could just skip to 90, everybody would be clicking their horribly laid-out buttons.
    So what? No one is obligated to be good. And if I'm wrong then Blizzard certanily does a terrible job enforcing it.