Deleted

haste healing priest, who wants to get better (disc)

am i the only person who stacks haste as disc? it just seems to work for me.
    i know its not just about healing meters, but obviously the higher the better, but i find myself topping the meters on most fights, but i want to get better & really push myself, as i feel i can do (& possibly should do) much more with my gear. i have tried a mainly crit heavy spec, but that was when i was 505ish ilvl & felt haste spec was better for me.
    my current ilvl is 525 & i'm going to be seriously slated i know, but here is my armoury...
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...edsista/simple.
    should i stay haste, or go for more more crit & mastery?

I would never recommend anyone to go haste build as a disc, it really doesn't do much for you. I seriously recommend going mastery or crit build, What I do on my priest is reforge any haste I have to crit, but keep mastery unreforged, Because it is still a really good stat. I gem straight crit for yellow, and spir/crit for blue or int/spir for blue, and for red int/spir

Deleted
    Amusingly, I healed with a haste reforge yesterday (~9k haste rating and rather low crit/mastery thanks to many pieces in my healing set normally being in my shadow MS) with a disc who is crit. He did vastly better than me, and I don't think it was only because he has ~15 ilvls and more practice. With less haste, you also need less spirit so there's more room for throughput increase with more int/crit/mastery gems. But I think it depends on what you do and who you heal with as well. I could certainly see haste being useful if you're mostly stuck with tank healing and need reliable over random but higher output.

If you raid 25man, I can see haste being a little bit more valuable when patch 5.4 hits, but currently I try to avoid it at all costs. Haste only helps to snipe heals. Disc is probably the best "farm" content healer because absorbs get stronger and that gives other healers less of a window to heal, haste helps with this because you're getting more absorbs out. If your intentions are to raid regulars, haste is a perfectly viable stat, you can pretty much get away with whatever you like best now that your item level is higher. However, if you intend on doing some heroic progression, crit theoretically (mastery aside) doubles your HPM while haste just makes things go faster.

If you enjoy the playstyle, stick with it. For raiding LFR and normal modes, it really won't matter for you. If you plan on getting any more serious about your raiding, then yes, you will need to drop the haste build. Dropping the haste will allow you to drop a lot of your spirit to pick up more useful stats.

Also, get rid of that PoM glyph....it's a big loss.

Actually, if you use Prayer of Mending on cooldown, the glyph isn't bad in fights which have low AoE damage. If your PoM is not getting all of it's jump, the glyphed version is better. Since there aren't many disc priest throughput glyphs, this one isn't a bad idea, just make sure you have tomes with you, just in case.

Maximum jumps:
    100% -> 120% ->120% -> 120% -> 120% | PoM (with 2 set) 580% total (much better)
    160% -> 120% -> 120% -> 120% | PoM Glyphed (with 2 set) 520% total

4 or less Jumps:
    100% -> 120% ->120% -> 120% | PoM (with 2 set) 460% total
    160% -> 120% -> 120% -> 120% | PoM Glyphed (with 2 set) 520% total (much better)

Without the 2 set it's a 40% less healing if PoM got all it's jumps and still 60% more healing if it did not get all of it's jumps. I use it for most, if not all, heroic encounters because, as a disc priest, our bubbles slow down the rate which they jump making it more likely that it will come off cooldown before the it gets the chance to get it's last jump or two.
    Last edited by vanityking; 2013-07-31 at 10:59 PM. Reason: I corrected it as I totally forgot the tier isn't additive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vanityking View Post
    Actually, if you use Prayer of Mending on cooldown, the glyph isn't bad in fights which have low AoE damage. If your PoM is not getting all of it's jump, the glyphed version is better. Since there aren't many disc priest throughput glyphs, this one isn't a bad idea, just make sure you have tomes with you, just in case.

Maximum jumps:
    100% -> 120% ->120% -> 120% -> 120% | PoM (with 2 set) 580% total (much better)
    160% -> 120% -> 120% -> 120% | PoM Glyphed (with 2 set) 520% total

4 or less Jumps:
    100% -> 120% ->120% -> 120% | PoM (with 2 set) 460% total
    160% -> 120% -> 120% -> 120% | PoM Glyphed (with 2 set) 520% total (much better)

Without the 2 set it's a 40% less healing if PoM got all it's jumps and still 60% more healing if it did not get all of it's jumps. I use it for most, if not all, heroic encounters because, as a disc priest, our bubbles slow down the rate which they jump making it more likely that it will come off cooldown before the it gets the chance to get it's last jump or two.
    That is wrong. Our bubbles do not really affect the PoM jump as they are quickly absorbed.

Your calculation is also not correct,PoM with two set heals as follows: 100% , 110%, 121%, 133%, 146%

Glyphed PoM (more heals as you go down)

Unglyphed PoM

If you have one full used PoM and one that heals only 3 times, you have 6.1+3.3 = 9.4 with glyphed PoM or 5.241+3.91 = 9.151 with glyphed PoM.

The glyph with the 2set does not just cost you 40% of a heal it costs you 86% of a heal. The majority of fights in ToT have ticking damage, which makes PoM jump (with or without absorbs). So generally when you get a 4 heal average per PoM that includes a significant proportion of 5 heals, which immediately drops 86% of a heal. That means in order for the glyph to not make a negative contribution for every 5 heal PoM you need 1.25 PoMs with less than 5 heals.

- - - Updated - - -

The idea behind a haste build currently is that the legendary meta scaling with haste covers the gap in mana. Haste is still the strongest throughput stat, but it is much less effective than crit/mastery at boosting aegis, PWS and spirit shell.

You need to stack haste hard for that to happen though.
    Last edited by mmoc58baca37e6; 2013-08-01 at 12:29 AM.

Fun Fact: PoM heals 6 times, not 5. Makes the last unglyphed heal 161% w/ 2pc. I wouldn't advise losing that last jump for the glyph.

I think was vanityking was trying to note is that the current 2-set does not make POM w/ the glyph heal harder, the second hit (after the first jump) is only healing for the original heal minus the 60% bonus + 10% for the tier set.

I dont see any valid excuse for using this glyph at all in pve this tier, because (as havoc noted) its actually quiet a large lose in efficiency and output when combined with tier. I've heard some people mention 'oh i used it because i was the one in charge of healing the tank' which also doesn't make too much sense since disc really isn't efficient at heavy healing tanking duty to begin with.

It is true that Pom can get 'stuck' on shields and absorbs, regardless it doesn't mean that you should be early refreshing with the thought in mind, i have nothing else to be doing.