Page 1 of 12
... LastLast

Ghostcrawler Interview

Patch 5.4 - Ghostcrawler Interview
    Ghostcrawler was in Asia last week and QQ was able to sit down with him for an interview. Keep in mind that things are often lost in translation or mistranslated! Thanks to ngacnlcq for the translation.

Originally Posted by MMO-Champion
    Tencent: How will you deal with bigger and bigger numbers in the next expansion? I think it is time to do something with it.
    Ghostcrawler: We have considered this problem and we will reduce players' stats in the next expansion.

Tencent: You mentioned that class design will possibly break the traditional pattern of "tank, healer and damage dealer". Does it mean that new class will be a new type, or you will redesign current pattern?
    Ghostcrawler: We are considering a new class type that provides buffs to other players.

Tencent: It is a good idea to add pets in vanilla raids, but we want to run these old raids with others, will you design a new LFR where item levels will be reduced to proper levels when players queue for these old raids.
    Ghostcrawler: Yes, adding pet drops is really cool. The mode you mentioned is a good idea, we may consider it, since it is feasible technically.

Tencent: When will we have Defense of the Alehouse?
    Ghostcrawler: Although it is in the PTR client already, but you will not have this battleground in Patch 5.4, we don't have a release date for it so far.

Tencent: Phase technology has achieved a great success, then is it possible to implement a larger one on the existing basis.
    Marco Koegler: Our team is committed to make epic games. Phase technology has made great progress from the earliest phase to current farm in these years. You can feel these changes. Yes, we hope to make contents related with larger phase technology.

Tencent: The graphics of World of Warcraft has been improved continuously these years. How did you do it? Do you have a plan to do major changes to the graphics to make a qualitative leap?
    Marco Koegler: As mentioned before, our team is working on constant changes and game engine improvement. We certainly hope it to be more beautiful in the future.

Tencent: Recently, mobile auction house got into some troubles in security issues. Will Blizzard continue to increase investment on mobile softwares, or just stay conservative? When will we have mobile pet battles?
    Marco Koegler: We will make greater efforts on security issues to avoid accounts being stolen. As for the mobile pet battles, I don't want to make comments on any rumors.

Tencent: Players often complain about class balance, group-making problems in Wrath of the Lich King expansion. You have solved many problems after taking office, but players' complaints was not reduced, have you considered its reason?
    Ghostcrawler: Players are always complaining(laugh). In fact, our changes in these years make the game much more balanced than before.

Tencent: Do you have a more detailed plan to add Hearthstone in World of Warcraft? Will players in World of Warcraft be able to fight with others of PC version and iPad version?
    Ghostcrawler: Add a Hearthstone chessboard in the game client is just to display the model that NPCs are playing. We have no play to add Hearthstone in World of Warcraft currently and it is impossible to let World of Warcraft players fight with others of different version.

Tencent: Upcoming ingame store is a cautious attempt, since you only sell experience potions and Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. Is it used for gathering experience for "Titan"? What items will you add in the future? Does it affect game balance? Why do you test it in Asia first?
    Ghostcrawler: Yes, it is cautious. This store is designed to make convenience for players. You can buy some items such as transmogrification, mounts and pets in the future without logging out the game.
    Marco Koegler: These experience items are designed to make convenience for players to leveling their alts. As for the Lesser Charms of Good Fortune, we want to make convenience for those who don't have time to do daily quests, but also want to get items via Lesser Charms of Good Fortune to catch up their friends(Ghostcrawler added: For example, I don't have time due to the business trip to China this week). That is to say, these items are designed to save players' time, but items that increase players stats will not appear in the store forever.

Tencent: I think Patch 5.4 is the last patch in this expansion. Have you started next expansion? Will it be announced in this year's BlizzCon?
    Ghostcrawler: Patch 5.4 is the last content patch, but we will release some bug fixes and balancing patchs after that. We will also release a preview content patch before new expansion. BlizzCon is a good time to tell something about that.

Tencent: Last question. Will the bill that allows Shamans to cast Hearthstone instantly be passed? New icons and Totem models don't satisfy Shamans!
    Ghostcrawler: (Laugh)Shaman will get a lot of love in Patch 5.4. Expect it!
    Last edited by chaud; 2013-07-30 at 01:00 PM.

Wow, item squish confirmed ...
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    T

Tencent: You mentioned that class design will possibly break the traditional pattern of "tank, healer and damage dealer". Does it mean that new class will be a new type, or you will redesign current pattern?

Ghostcrawler: We are considering a new class type that provides buffs to other players.
    So it wasn't a fake. They are really considering a supporter.

10+ Year Old Account
    I really like the item squish question, hope it turns out right.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by masteryuri View Post

Hope also existing 'hybrid' (*cough, cough*) specs will also get some of the buffs they had in the past back. I really like to support others with my shaman or paladin, but that was quite diminished since Classic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    So a stat squish is on it's way. Can't say I'm too surprised.
    Let's see if they'll do it right or if it causes odd situations.

You can't reduce numbers across the board since the increase is so exponential.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

I like the sound of the item squish.

And notice how they completely evaded the Titan part.

Quote Originally Posted by masteryuri View Post
    I want to see how leveling a supporter turn out

I hope if they do item squish, they will also reduce HP of all of the bosses in all older raids!

And support class incoming!

Is this just not a compilation of points from that questionable interview ?
    Did anyone actually get an official confirmation that it was genuine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Note how he said new class type and not a new class. Seems to me they are thinking of adding that fourth spec to some classes.

But adding a whole new role and game type...it's a big undertaking. In fact it probably means a big rejigging of those classes as abilities are reassigned and rebalanced.

A roundabout way of pruning some clutter?

10+ Year Old Account
    oh yes! item Squish! i hope they do go through with it!
    dragonmaw - EU

Surprisingly the item squish seems to be coming...... wasn't expecting that.

And we're not getting the Demon Hunter..... a buff class.... bard?
    Last edited by Synstir; 2013-07-30 at 11:32 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    i also like the fact that he quite categorically states that stat enhancing items will never be available in the cash shop. Hopefully that will quieten some of the doomsayers, but somehow I doubt it.
    I don't know the recipe for success, but I know that the recipe for failure is trying to please everyone.

Forum stupidity at its finest:
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just because a word is in the dictionary doesn't mean it's true IRL.
    Allatar - EU Aszune | Allatar - D3 Career

It's surprising how far things have gone since I quit playing WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like mop is my last expansion. I'm not going for item squish.

What's the source of the interview?

Quote Originally Posted by El Plastico View Post
    Why's that?

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I will never understand why people think we need an item squish. It's an RPG, my character is meant to get stronger and stronger when defeating bigger and badder enemies. Isn't that kind of the point to an RPG? Or have I been playing them incorrectly for the last 20 years?
    Because when your character has 540500090 health and armor has +234900 agility it looks pretty silly and getting and upgrade with +254900 agility is a lot less satisfying than going from an armor piece with +235 agility to one with +255.

Quote Originally Posted by El Plastico View Post

I don't think it's a big deal either way.

I mean, everything will remain the same way. Only the numbers will be smaller. Personally, I like the huge numbers, but eh -- it changes nothing. I would've preferred keeping the numbers like this but many people are asking for it.

I don't even get why it's such a big deal that it NEEDS to be done for some people, but eh.. whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I will never understand why people think we need an item squish. It's an RPG, my character is meant to get stronger and stronger when defeating bigger and badder enemies. Isn't that kind of the point to an RPG? Or have I been playing them incorrectly for the last 20 years?

Indeed. It's like some people think the item squish is more than it is. It just changes the look of the numbers, that's all. Everything else will (if Blizzard does it correctly) remain the exact same. I don't see the use in wasting time to do the item squish myself and why there is such a huge fuss about it being a necessity.

Deleted
    If this interview is legit, then this is very good news. To be honest I'm quite tired of seeing the healthpool and damage numbers increase: time for a squish! Also the idea of a support class seems interesting, not sure how it would work with leveling and all, but knowing Blizzard they'll make it work.