Question Elemental. Few questions?

Hello, I've been playing elemental since early firelands when the set bonus for our elemental was "broken". Since then I've always managed to pull competitive dps staying marginally higher than the few guys I play with. I'm not gonna brag and say im better than them, but I normally blow them out the water when it comes to keeping uptime/activity and sustaining higher damage on the bosses.

They/we all started back in MoP kinda late, in the middle of Throne Of Thunder actually. All my friends (boomkin/mage) all had a nice set of gear to start in when I was just getting out of heroics. Since then I've never really been able to catch up in item level at all. My problem is this expansion imstruggling to come even close to them; I normally can overcome gear-score with basic up-time/activity count and still stay close to them easily.

What im wondering is how strong is scaling this expansion, should I be worried that they are blowing me out the water on fights with like 15item level higher?
    If I had to guess, Id think trinkets are the issue they both are in at least ToT raid-finder trinkets or higher. Im still wearing two 476 trinkets with one upgraded. |
    I wish I had a World of Logs file to share but I don't just yet. I'm normally pretty good with the rotation.. try keeping up flame-shock on three targets when possible, chain lighting when it can bounce.
    FS(>3),LvB>EB>ES(<6s)>LB 100%uptime on searing and I manage fire ele and ascendance so I get to use them as much as possible during the fight.

If you can see any notable problems from my gear or have any idea why my damage is so low compared to them, please help. I'm not gonna say I'm the best player in the world. But I'm normally good when it comes to up time and activity; I'm always casting.

Really stressing me out that I cant be competitive this expansion thus far. Hoping it has to do with gear and not be missing out on something. Gears just not dropping for me yet.

wow-heroes com/character/us/Turalyon/Pugnut/ glyphs and talents might be out of whack for brawlers guild. I use elementalblast and the elemental totem glyph

wow-heroes com/character/us/Turalyon/drula/ boomkin buddy
    wow-heroes com/character/us/Turalyon/netrom/ mage buddy

well the druid has 22 ilvl more than you so it is no wonder that he does much more damage than you. your mage buddy has only 7ilvl more than you. however he has 2 set bonus and 2 tot ppm trinkets. so yes I think it is based on gear that your can't catch up. you have a low ilvl and no set bonus, no tot trinket. that sums up.

messing up can only be checked with logs

Kill skull. Imo go for PE. I havent use EB the last 3 weeks but then I am at another lvl aswell with shorter fights and more movement etc.

I spam LvB and LBs most of the time. Never stop a cast or hesitate. Just spam buttons and stack CDs not use em 1 by 1 when they go off.

I've read to use primal at higher gear levels only. Around the same time you swap out int gems for mastery gems. That could be wrong. This rotation is so unbelievably boring with elemental blast, will be a downer to have to drop that also.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugnut View Post
    I wish I had a World of Logs file to share but I don't just yet. I'm normally pretty good with the rotation.. try keeping up flame-shock on three targets when possible, chain lighting when it can bounce.
    FS(>3),LvB>EB>ES(<6s)>LB 100%uptime on searing and I manage fire ele and ascendance so I get to use them as much as possible during the fight.
    I haven't actually tested this myself, but the Elemental guide in these forums suggest that Flame Shocking multiple targets is a loss in damage. I don't know that it will account for you being "blown out of the water" as you say, but every little bit will help.

I don't see how that's possible though. The amount of lava-burst that are generated through spreading flame shock seems ridiculously high. And with lava-burst being 50%+ of our damage and all.....?

Only doing it if the mob I cast the multiple flame shocks on will last the full duration, (Magthera and council) not just any random low hp adds.

Tbh, this entire doing DPS as ele is so different from every aspect. I use to inspect all the top shamans(including analyzing myself) and it differs a lot.

As of me I am going full haste almost and I feel good about it. I can put insane numbers from now and then. IT all comes down to RNG and what feels best for u. Tbh FS on 2 targets is the best.

I cant link my logs either but if u Check out Sanitas Frostwhisper EU and have a look at Megaera and Twin consort ranks(where I am attending) that I got my analyze tells me that 2 FS targets is the most optimal and not 3. Its to hard to keep uptime.

Quote Originally Posted by Pugnut View Post
    I don't see how that's possible though. The amount of lava-burst that are generated through spreading flame shock seems ridiculously high. And with lava-burst being 50%+ of our damage and all.....?

Only doing it if the mob I cast the multiple flame shocks on will last the full duration, (Magthera and council) not just any random low hp adds.
    Because you're spending more time casting Flame Shock and less time spamming Chain Lightning and Earth Shock.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus
    It is not worth using Flame Shock on additional targets if you're facing 2-3 targets. This is because the damage output of Earth Shock at 7 charges is roughly the same as Flame Shock & Lava Burst, and when using Chain Lightning to cleave you'll be generating more Lightning Shield charges than normal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulkovius View Post
    Tbh, this entire doing DPS as ele is so different from every aspect. I use to inspect all the top shamans(including analyzing myself) and it differs a lot.

As of me I am going full haste almost and I feel good about it. I can put insane numbers from now and then. IT all comes down to RNG and what feels best for u. Tbh FS on 2 targets is the best.

I cant link my logs either but if u Check out Sanitas Frostwhisper EU and have a look at Megaera and Twin consort ranks(where I am attending) that I got my analyze tells me that 2 FS targets is the most optimal and not 3. Its to hard to keep uptime.
    Pretty much this, if you just scroll through say 10-20 of the top ele shamans you will see every kind of build. There are heavy mastery builds, heavy haste builds your standard intellect builds and everything inbetween. I have played full haste and full int in 10 man and I enjoy both and now have just chosen to sit in the middle and just aimed for a FS haste breakpoint that would leave me some room for a bit more spellpower.

I am pretty sure depending on how high your ILVL is (I am only 534) every build has its advantages.

Quote Originally Posted by Skygoneblue View Post
    Because you're spending more time casting Flame Shock and less time spamming Chain Lightning and Earth Shock.
    binkenstein, who is co author of the guide, changed the multi target paragraph cause of the change to LvB

Multitarget
    Two to Five Targets

Single Target Focus: (One target needs to die)
    - Single target rotation & cast Flame Shock on 1 additional target. This is a net 4k DPS gain on your main target. Additional targets do not increase single target damage.

Spread Cleaving: (Multiple targets need to die)
    - Single target rotation with the following modifications:
    -- Over-ride rotation with Chain Lightning when 3 (or more, if glyphed) targets can be hit
    -- Substitute Chain Lightning (either glyphed or unglyphed) in place of Lightning Bolt any time two targets can be hit.
    -- Cast Flame Shock on all available targets if they will survive for longer than 25 seconds. Only use Earth Shock if you do not need to cast Flame Shock again before the cooldown would expire.

AoE
    - Cast Chain Lightning (either glyphed or unglyphed) on the highest target.

Six or more targets
    - Cast Magma Totem before the AoE phase begins or of there are 7+ targets. If you have Totemic Projection, use it to reposition the totem for maximum effect
    - Cast Earthquake targets
    - Cast Chain Lightning
    http://www.totemspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6829