Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you keybind every single ability?

A quick question for those who made the jump from clicker to keybinder, do you keybind every single ability on your spell book or just some? I personally keybind my full dps and aoe rotaiton and some of my major personal and raidwide cds, but for example dps cooldowns that have 3-5 minute cds I dont feel the need to keybind them cause Im probably just using them 2-3 times on a fight so I just click them.

Deleted
    i use from:
    F1-F4
    1-5
    Q-T (Minus W)
    F-G
    Z-V
    Feels like i have coved the most importen and are not to far away

As a PvPer, it's pretty rare for me to not have something bound. There are a few exceptions (i.e. shaman far sight), but if the ability has use in a fight I don't want to click it. That includes food/water, bandages, mount, and potions/consumables. There was a time where I played the same as you, but for me it was really just a transition phase between clicking and full keybinds. If you're interested in full binds I'm sure you'll get there as you become more comfortable with it. You just have to sit down one day and work out some new keys.

I'm using a Razer Naga and I'm able to reach 1-9 without any issues, so my binds are:
    1-9
    Shift 1-9
    Ctrl 1-9
    Alt 1-9
    Q, E, R, T
    S, F, G
    < (Nordic keyboard), Z, X, C

I don't bind my professions or my HS, for the rest I'm using binds/macros.

Deleted
    I have every skill on my bars, usually keybind everything. Some "non-combat" skills and macros may be unbound. Food/drink are usually unbound too, as i never bother to use them anyway.

Deleted
    Not every single ability, but if the ability will be used at all in PvE or solo'ing, questing, etc, I have it bound to a key. Mind you: I never PvP.

I use 1-4, Shift 1-4, Shift-E/A/F and regular A on my keyboard (aside from movement keys). The rest go on my Logitech G600 mouse where all 12 buttons are bound to F1->F12, of which I use F1->F9 for regular keybinds and Shift F1->F9 for extra keybinds. My actionbar layout also reflects this and I tend to bind similar skills across different characters on the same key (for example F5 is interrupt, Shift F5 is secondary interrupt, etc).

Aside from that I use the Opie addon to bind mounts, buffs, tradeskills, useful items, stances, pet summons, teleports/portals, to E, F10->F12 and Shift F10->F12. The wheel interface makes it perfect for those abilities/items that you never use in combat but frequently use out of combat (like a mount or a buff).

Occasionally I also 'bind' keys to Clique, like on my Warrior alt I use a shift-left-click on friendly frames to Intervene and a shift-right-click to use Vigilance.

As an example (since I'm logged in on him now), on my Warrior alt (as Fury) the only skills that don't have a keybind are Sunder Armor, Hamstring and Mocking Banner. Sure, those skills have their uses, I just hardly ever use them.

I have tried using Ctrl and Alt modifiers multiple times, but they never really work except on Healers with a Clique/Healbot/whatever healing interface. I find those too clumsy, personally.
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2013-07-30 at 03:40 PM.

1-5 and Shift 1-5
    Q, E, R, T, F, G, C, X, Z and their respective Shifts

Anything I have to use quick or on the move is bound, but far from everything. I pretty much only use 1 through 6, shift 1 through 5, shift F, shift C, the enter and + sign on the number pad, my two side mouse buttons, and those two with shift. I know I could easily use some of the other keys that are assigned to something else by default, but I never had the need.

Not everything, but I bind the important stuff. I don't bind stuff like mounts, consumables (although Mogu strength potions and such are put in my "blow shit up" macro, which is bound). I bind all of my important/frequently used abilities though.

I also use a lot of macros because I've been playing a warrior since the class had its "you need approximately one billion macros to be doing it right" days and am still in that habit, so quite a bit of the stuff I _don't_ have bound is swept up in some macro that is bound.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good god, I'm definitely not keybinding every ability. Why should I keybind something like heroism or mana tide? Stuff that you only use 1-3 times during a boss fight depending on its length. I don't even have my major healing cds keybound because in most cases they're planned to be hit at an exact moment. And I know where it's sitting on my bars and can just move my mouse there while my previous cast is finishing or while I'm sitting in the GCD.

Deleted
    I sort of have the feeling that there is an open and active thread about this very subject already.. but I will give the same answer.

As any good player I keybind 98% and click 2%.

No better way to do it.
    Last edited by mmoce0e8933f3d; 2013-07-30 at 04:13 PM.

I have a good mix of keybinds and click abilities. Of course all of my normal rotation and utility spells are easily within reach on the keyboard, but I usually keep my major CDs like Shield Wall and Ascendance unbound to click, I don't want to accidentally waste them by hitting a wrong button.

Anything can be harmful when taken to an extreme. Even moderation.

Suffice it to say, I don't have Mind Vision keybound, no.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, mounts and professions are click for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have almost all my abilities bound, except things such as poisons. I use qwe to move and use a regular keyboard/mouse with shift and a few alt mods

10+ Year Old Account
    most of them i keybind , but all classes got stuff thats not worth wasting keybind on , like far sight or eye of kilrog, also never bothered to keybind hearthstone or mounts

I have all combat relevant abilities bound, but not support stuff like teleport/portal spells, conjured items, buffs that I hit once and forget about for a while, etc.

Click for bigger image.

I was bored, that's pretty much my binds. ;p Oh and yeah I realised after that's not an English keyboard. >.>
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2013-07-30 at 04:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, there's no need to do so. I only bind spells I use frequently.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    No, there's no need to do so.
    Arguably.

I have everything I use bound beside professions and hearthstone.
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle