Protection Paladins, I need your opinions and suggestions.

As of recent, I picked up playing a paladin. I've played just about every other class and spec there is but they have not kept my interest like a paladin can. I'm one of those individuals whose always been into the sword and board play style.

I know retribution is the way to go in pvp for the most part but my question is, is it possible to run arenas and battle grounds as protection or should I just continue to learn retribution? Or what do you guys think about protection warriors in pvp?

Deleted
    Protection + PvP = False

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Protection + PvP = False
    So it's that bad eh?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragaflask View Post
    So it's that bad eh?
    Yes because you don't get vengeance in BG's and no tank will hit for any good amount without vengeance. Sometimes you may be able to use a tank spec for a flag carrier or something like that but paladins don't do that as well as some of the other tanks. Learn this - if you want to pvp as a paladin to a decent level, go holy. Ret is nice and can get you to a mid level but you won't get high as it unless you're in an extremely tiny minority.

That's how it used to be anyway, I can imagine it hasn't changed much.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    Yes because you don't get vengeance in BG's and no tank will hit for any good amount without vengeance. Sometimes you may be able to use a tank spec for a flag carrier or something like that but paladins don't do that as well as some of the other tanks. Learn this - if you want to pvp as a paladin to a decent level, go holy. Ret is nice and can get you to a mid level but you won't get high as it unless you're in an extremely tiny minority.

That's how it used to be anyway, I can imagine it hasn't changed much.
    I might to consider my other alts then to main because I've tried healing, not one of my strong points. Also, what would be considered the toughest plate wearing melee dps especially when it comes to survivability?
    Last edited by Ragaflask; 2013-07-30 at 11:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I might to consider my other alts then to main because I've tried healing, not one of my strong points. Also, what would be considered the toughest plate wearing melee dps especially when it comes to survivability?
    Unfortunately I can't answer that question and will struggle to answer any more pvp questions I did random BG's as ret to get Battlemaster (my achi tab says in 2009 but I swear I got it in cata) and then never went back as I'm not the worlds biggest pvp fan. Never got into arenas or RBG unfortunately. Good luck finding an answer though I know Warriors were in a good spot due to Second Wind but then you only hear stuff if there's something both good and bad about the spec. I don't remember hearing a single thing about DK's so they can't be in too rough a spot.
    http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...nicus/advanced
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    Also a vegetable is a person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I dont care if they [gays] are allowed to donate [blood], but I think we should have an option to refuse gay blood if we need to receive blood.

Prot hasn't been useful as anything more than a minor nuisance since ATC got V nerfed back in the day. Plus, with the 50% dmg debuff in RBGs, ALL prot specs are dead in competitive team PVP. And tanks in arena, other than lol-BDK teams for trolling, are nonexistant.

Honestly, with the changes to Holy next patch, as well as the multitude of love that Ret has seen, Ret > Holy in 5.3+ PVP. Don't expect it to stay like that, as it never does, but it appears to be going live that way unless things change DRASTICALLY.

If you don't like to heal, Ret is a good option (with lots of "outs" via bubble, self heals, and team support). To get the most out of a Ret, you need to play with 1-2 other people, though, and use all of our toolkit. Played well, we can support a small attack force quite well, as they usually complement our missing tools.
    If you just want to mongo-tunnel-lolswifty people, and it has to be plate, Warrior is going to make a strong showing next patch, with the reversion of the Def Stance nerf, allowing for a good amount of rambo-style.
    If you just want to troll random-BGs and be nigh-unkillable, blood DK is an option. Roiling blood and CS procs mean you can just roll dots on the entire team and face-tank people to victory. The further buffs to Conversion make UH/Frost a little less squishy, but in competitve play, FDK's are glass cannons and both UH and F are forced to play in Blood most of the time to prevent gibs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Thank you both for your replies it's been helpful indeed, as always I guess in the end really I have to see which will be more fun for me since there is a constant balance issue.