Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Blizzard's Tribute to Deceased WoW Subscriber!

Hey everyone.
    I was alerted to this by a friend of mine and really had my breath taken away by this story.
    Yes, I was aware that Blizzard does this periodically, but the manner in which it happened here is pretty cool.
    Long story short, the man died around New Years, and Blizzard was selfless enough to add a tribute to him to patch 5.2 which we know came out March 5, just a few months after.
    It is significant today, as it is the deceased man's 30th birth anniversary. Far too young to be taken from this world.
    The tribute is in the Seat of Knowledge, functioning as a Night Elf with the name of his character presumably. This may not seem like much to some one unassociated with the situation, but this quote wraps it ALL up for me:
    Needless to say I was absolutely floored when I was exploring the PTR and came across my husband standing there reading a map. Elloric my loving, goofy, never knows where he’s going in game husband!..
    I want to show you Elloric my love that I can visit until the servers fade for the last time. I am truly honored, humbled and my thanks transcend words.
    Seeing this type of thing in a game so big, where they have the power to do whatever they please...
    Honestly, brings a tear to my eyes.

More info can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grfnUmLKjlE
    Hope I was able to share a profound story with you all. No matter your level of interests or thoughts on same-sex marriage, I think we can ALL agree this was truly a heroic deed by Blizzard.

Deleted
    Thats why i love blizzard

Blizzard is awesome. You will never ever see something like this from most companies out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    They have done alot of tributes to players within WoW. Really amazing that they have.

I noticed that Night Elf a while ago and was like.. He doesn't fit in here.. So looked him up and read the story. Really a sad story.

And really shows that Blizzard has a caring side.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

That was very very nice of Blizzard.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Blizzard is awesome. You will never ever see something like this from most companies out there.
    Think I've seen two in total in my life time of Online games.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Awesome. This may be how other random npc's have come into the world for no at the time known reason.

i know theres a quest in mulgore that is about a tauren looking for his dog, the tauren is voiced by a kid that had cancer and died and used to love his dog

There's quite a few tributes in game, which really makes me smile. The dwarf in Dun Algaz (Hillsbrad) the Tauren, voiced by the dying child in Mulgore. Etc.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account
    what a lovely thing for blizz to do.

i wonder what the sub levels would be if people didn't die. +100,000 in 8 years?
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    They do noticed players as well as their staff.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's nice of blizzard to do this, even when they are losing subs they still haven't changed a bit.
    This isn't first time they did this. This is what makes Blizzard so awesome, Good Games, Good Employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?

10+ Year Old Account
    This is beautiful.
    Tiriél US-Stormrage

Signature by Shyama

10+ Year Old Account
    Stuff like this is why Blizzard is my favorite game company.

Thought I would ya'll know so that if you so choose you can add to it also. There's a FB page that people are posting screenshots they are taking in game at the NPC with a cake by him since today would be his birthday. Here's a link to the FB page: Facebook page

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfyre27 View Post
    Thought I would ya'll know so that if you so choose you can add to it also. There's a FB page that people are posting screenshots they are taking in game at the NPC with a cake by him since today would be his birthday. Here's a link to the FB page: Facebook page
    Thanks for your addition! That is really cool to see as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember in TBC when Blizzard gave the Ashes of A'lar to a sick kid. Sadly, he passed away afterwards.

http://wow.joystiq.com/2008/10/23/ez...n-passes-away/

Good guy Blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lime View Post
    I remember in TBC when Blizzard gave the Ashes of A'lar to a sick kid. Sadly, he passed away afterwards.
    Ya, its really quite spectacular that the people a lot of the players love to give crap have made such selfless decisions to include these things in their video game. That is a tremendous reason the community is what it is in this game.

There is an area in the Jade Forest in MoP that is http://www.wowpedia.org/Owen%27s_Wishing_Well and you can go there and flip a coin into the well, it gives you a buff called 'Made-a-Wish - You feel lucky!' and also the http://www.wowhead.com/item=85776 (Wodin's Mantid Shanker) drops on the corner of the well.

If nobody read the wowpedia link it is for a kid who did the made a wish foundation thing and met up with Blizzard for a while, he died from bone cancer a while ago at only 16

These are the coolest things Blizzard does imo.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blackhammer99 View Post
    Hey everyone.
    I was alerted to this by a friend of mine and really had my breath taken away by this story.
    Yes, I was aware that Blizzard does this periodically, but the manner in which it happened here is pretty cool.
    Long story short, the man died around New Years, and Blizzard was selfless enough to add a tribute to him to patch 5.2 which we know came out March 5, just a few months after.
    It is significant today, as it is the deceased man's 30th birth anniversary. Far too young to be taken from this world.
    The tribute is in the Seat of Knowledge, functioning as a Night Elf with the name of his character presumably. This may not seem like much to some one unassociated with the situation, but this quote wraps it ALL up for me:

Seeing this type of thing in a game so big, where they have the power to do whatever they please...
    Honestly, brings a tear to my eyes.

More info can be found here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grfnUmLKjlE
    Hope I was able to share a profound story with you all. No matter your level of interests or thoughts on same-sex marriage, I think we can ALL agree this was truly a heroic deed by Blizzard.

Why was this one person significant enough to warrant this?

I don't want to be offensive or anything, I just don't see why. I'm pretty sure there's more dead people that played WoW than him.

I mean it's sad that someone dies that early and all, but I see it as little more than a PR stunt from Blizzard.