Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Well ok I'll give you that heh, though java has it's own issues too :P

As a side note, I just run my server from my work ESX box, I find having more memory available to the Ubuntu VM is obviously much more important than processor power so I give it 4GB and just 1 physical core on a Quad Xeon. Runs as good as it can for the most part.
    Oh, I know I'd never write any sort of server in java. Clients is all well and good, especially if you're after portability. But not servers. There are way better options for that.

Honestly, processor speed would probably give you more gains than anything else. Since it's single-threaded, being able to run through the operations more quickly should give you some small gains. More memory does help, but only because the game is a huge resource hog.

Then again, it's a game based on a fixed-length tick loop, meaning you can only gain so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Torq View Post
    Oh, I know I'd never write any sort of server in java.
    That's what we use

Edit: I lied, I meant the app the runs on the server.

Sounds like the greatest randomly generated borefest of all time. Like Skyrim, but even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    That's what we use

Edit: I lied, I meant the app the runs on the server.
    That's what I meant by server, in that context. The server-side portion of whatever application is sometimes just generically referred to as the "server."

Oh, I know I'd never write any sort of server in java. Clients is all well and good, especially if you're after portability. But not servers. There are way better options for that.

Honestly, processor speed would probably give you more gains than anything else. Since it's single-threaded, being able to run through the operations more quickly should give you some small gains. More memory does help, but only because the game is a huge resource hog.

Then again, it's a game based on a fixed-length tick loop, meaning you can only gain so far.
    Yeah I found that the difference between performance of my old Q6600 I ran it on at home and the Xeon I use at work was pretty minimal, the extra memory and faster hdd did more than my crappy home server whitebox did. Especially after getting things like Tekkit and Hexxit running.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Yeah I found that the difference between performance of my old Q6600 I ran it on at home and the Xeon I use at work was pretty minimal, the extra memory and faster hdd did more than my crappy home server whitebox did. Especially after getting things like Tekkit and Hexxit running.
    Yeah, I can't speak to the various mods, and how they work. I should hope some of the better ones leverage multi-threaded capabilities wherever possible, but I suppose that's going to heavily depend on how they integrate with the server.

In other words, I hope they use multiple threads, but I don't even know if that's possible.
    Last edited by Torq; 2013-07-31 at 08:08 PM.

That's what I meant by server, in that context. The server-side portion of whatever application is sometimes just generically referred to as the "server."
    Well there's a lower level server software that we use to run our server-side Java app. I don't know what that part is coded in as that's another app team.

Yeah, I can't speak to the various mods, and how they work. I should hope some of the better ones leverage multi-threaded capabilities wherever possible, but I suppose that's going to heavily depend on how they integrate with the server.

In other words, I hope they use multiple thread, but I don't even know if that's possible.
    Most seem to just be a wrapper, it's still the standard minecraft server at the core D:
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.