Why is my DPS bad?

I'm having trouble with my DPS. I feel that I'm doing everything I can to maximize it but I am unable to get any decent ranks despite having the gear to be able to. I'm wondering if anyone is able to help me out. Here is my log from tonights Durumu kill: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-74...?s=9300&e=9706

Armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...pbeep/advanced

One thing I think could be an issue is latency. I play from Australia with 300ms in a 25man raid and I can see it in WoL where I do back to back Arcane Shots and they are 1.2-1.4 seconds apart whereas top ranked logs generally have them around 0.95-1.05 seconds apart as seen here:

1.218 seconds
    [23:58:20.554] Beepjeepbeep casts Arcane Shot on Durumu the Forgotten
    [23:58:21.772] Beepjeepbeep casts Arcane Shot on Durumu the Forgotten

0.976 seconds
    [20:20:34.449] Snypee casts Arcane Shot on Durumu the Forgotten
    [20:20:35.425] Snypee casts Arcane Shot on Durumu the Forgotten

Obviously this is going to have some impact on the DPS I am able to do but I'm unsure if it would even be a noticeable difference or if there are other factors to it. Maybe I should look at playing a class that has more to maximizing DPS than mashing buttons as fast as possible (that was a completely serious statement, believe it or not).

10+ Year Old Account
    i know there are Australian players with 300+ latency out there that can rank on WoL so i am uncertain if the latency is a direct reason there. There must be other factors.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i know there are Australian players with 300+ latency out there that can rank on WoL so i am uncertain if the latency is a direct reason there. There must be other factors.
    It could depend on class. I'd imagine it would be worse with GCD capped classes like Hunters.

Deleted
    300 MS shouldn't cause 1 sec lag. But hmm, maybe you should try using a VPN tunnel?
    Anyways it looks like you're missing alot of KC's. KC has a CD of 6sec, you used it 55 times(55*6=330/60=5.5, This shows that if you used KC every time it went off CD the fight would have been 5.5min however,The fight was 404 sec, = 6.7min. which means you missed 74/6=12 KC's by not using it the instant it came off CD.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really play BM, but how come you didn't cast Kill Command once in your Durumu encounter? Unless I'm looking in the wrong place. o_O

Edit: Nevermind. :P
    Last edited by Xionyus; 2013-07-31 at 08:08 PM.

Comparing you with the top us parse: this is the link for your pets. Note: slightly better uptime for kill command (may be due to latency) and higher Crit percentage on kill command. Better procs on go for the throat. http://www.raidbots.com/comparebot/5...50001c5#damage

For the two of you: http://www.raidbots.com/comparebot/5...254e893f000308
    Notice the fight is one minute shorter for him. He spends more time on the boss less on ice walls. And takes glaive toss over barrage. Also more banner drops than your raid group. For the looks of it he keeps the main target as the boss during ice walls and multi shots from there (more multi shots but more focus on boss). Also more kill shots per minute.
    Last edited by Astheria; 2013-07-31 at 08:17 PM.

If you set your custom lag tolerance to compensate for that downtime, then it should be fine.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehstool View Post
    If you set your custom lag tolerance to compensate for that downtime, then it should be fine.
    Can you explain how to do this? It will be useful for all of us with latency issues

Quote Originally Posted by nicocba View Post
    Can you explain how to do this? It will be useful for all of us with latency issues
    Go to interface then combat then set the custom lag tolerance to compensate for it. If you set it up at 200 ms it would queue up a spell 200 ms before the one you have up finished casting.

Signature by Geekissexy Check out her Deviantart

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Go to interface then combat then set the custom lag tolerance to compensate for it. If you set it up at 200 ms it would queue up a spell 200 ms before the one you have up finished casting.
    Never saw that option! Thanks for enlightening me

This is actually a quite interesting topic.

As far as I understand it, the custom lag tolerance only works on abilities that have a cast time. It does not work on instant abilities that are limited only by the GCD. So yeah, I'd say hunters are greatly affected by lag. Because other ranged classes have far greater proportions of casting abilities in their rotations, while hunters only have steady/cobra shots.. and steady/cobra shots are rarely used one directly after another (to benefit the most from lag tolerance settings). so most of the time when hunters are casting arcane shots, signature shots, etc, the custom lag tolerance mechanism is not working. To make matter worse, hunters use focus as their resource, which is generated partly from steady/cobra shots, in other words, hunters suffer from lag not only by not casting abilities as fast, but also by not generating focus as fast.

The class that I think is the most lag-forgiving is rogue. The number of abilities a rogue can cast in a fixed time encounter is not limited by the GCD, but by the total energy generation (at least for assassination rogues, often times waiting several seconds in between ability casts for energy). While the energy is entirely self generated without any effect of lag.

Having said that, hunters do still have auto shots (just like melees with auto attacks) and pets, as a hunter playing from Australia, this is one of the few reasons stopping me from re-rolling another class.

Again, this is just from my personal understanding of the lag tolerance mechanism, I did not test anything on any class, nor did I build any mathematical model, I could be wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by qq521070308 View Post
    As far as I understand it, the custom lag tolerance only works on abilities that have a cast time. It does not work on instant abilities that are limited only by the GCD.
    Afaict, you can queue instants by casting them during the GCD.

i.e. w/ 400ms tolerance:
    0s Push Arcane Shot/AS is cast
    0.6s Push Arcane Shot
    1s Arcane Shot is cast
    1.6s Push AS
    2s AS is cast
    etc

But if you do:
    0s Push AS/AS is cast
    0.4s Push AS
    1s nothing happens

I've always had mine set to 250MS and I mash the shit out of my buttons when I press them. Still the massive delay on every GCD.

Raise your tolerance, you will queue instants if cast within the tolerance time.

I am in the same boat.. 300ms.. 25m, recently downgraded to 10m.. And BM is just the most annoying spec to play because of that.. mashing AS and having the next AS not go off once the GCD is over and just do that tease gcd activation and then reset back.. it's the most infuriating thing in the world..

If you're asking about durumu dps, then you're not optimizing wall dps (which most do for ranks).. First wall you peaked to 300k, second you barely touched 200k and dropped right away.. and the third you went ham.. procs have a lot to do with it too but main thing is to position your barrage and your pet for max coverage. (with barrage you can increase it's cone once you start the channel and tilt slightly)

KC is horrid when it comes to lag. Not sure what it is specifically about that ability, but there are times when I spam KC the exact same way I spam AS and absolutely nothing happens. No adds or anything, just the boss. Very annoying.

EDIT: Checked my own logs http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...+%3D+TYPE_CAST and it doesn't seem to be that prevalent. I have 300 ms outside raid, and yeah it goes up inside. Custom Lag Tolerance is set to 400, and I spam the crap out of my keys.
    Last edited by gulder; 2013-08-02 at 01:42 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gulder View Post
    KC is horrid when it comes to lag. Not sure what it is specifically about that ability, but there are times when I spam KC the exact same way I spam AS and absolutely nothing happens. No adds or anything, just the boss. Very annoying.

EDIT: Checked my own logs http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...+%3D+TYPE_CAST and it doesn't seem to be that prevalent. I have 300 ms outside raid, and yeah it goes up inside. Custom Lag Tolerance is set to 400, and I spam the crap out of my keys.
    Well, have you trie doing as I said? trying a VPN tunnel?

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmio View Post
    Well, have you trie doing as I said? trying a VPN tunnel?
    An actual VPN will get your account closed very quickly through your IP changing from 1 side of the world to another. It also won't really help latency because you still have to connect from your connection to the VPN.

If you just mean a tunnel service like Lowerping or Battleping they usually don't help, maybe go from 250 to 210ms and you also increase the likeliness of lag spikes by adding an extra variable on the path between your computer and the Blizzard servers.

Quote Originally Posted by JSorrentino View Post
    Raise your tolerance, you will queue instants if cast within the tolerance time.
    I really wasn't expecting to get anything out of doing that but holy shit. I raised my lag tolerance from 250 to 400 (despite only having 220ms on the night). Ranked 51 on Animus (no padding)

[00:03:30.771] Beepjeepbeep casts Arcane Shot on Anima Golem
    [00:03:31.722] Beepjeepbeep casts Arcane Shot on Anima Golem
    [00:03:32.706] Beepjeepbeep casts Arcane Shot on Anima Golem