View Poll Results: When will the TM show up?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • August 2 (Today)!

    3 6.82%
  • This week.

    4 9.09%
  • Later in August.

    12 27.27%
  • September.

    6 13.64%
  • October.

    3 6.82%
  • November.

    16 36.36%
Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Herald of the Titans Mojo Risin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,740

    Trademark Watch - 2 August & Onwards

    What ho, folks.

    Today could be the day.

    The magical trademark day.

    While there's a good chance Blizzard completely changed their trademark routine recently, there's also the possibility that they're sticking with the trend set by 50% of their expansions. Namely, WotLK and MoP were both filed on July 27 and discovered on August 2.

    Cataclysm was a different affair. It was filed on June 26 and discovered on July 1. This was due to the fact that an Australian website held a relevant domain up until then (wowcataclysm.com). As soon as it expired / Blizzard got hold of it, though, they filed the Cataclysm trademark. So had it not been for the immediate urgency to 'get it done' and claim the domain at that time, Cataclysm might also have been a July 28 / August 2 trademark.

    The Burning Crusade was such an early expansion, they probably hadn't even figured out their own routines by then. I hesitate to even include it in the statistics.

    So yeah. Again. Keep your eyes glued to the trademark website!
    '"Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it.'

    The Trophy System
    WarCrafting 2.0
    Mount 2.0
    World Enhancement Patch 1.0

  2. #2
    Scarab Lord Viridiancity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    AFK in Lunarfall
    Posts
    4,534
    It's likely hidden. They did just as much with Hearthstone, filing a patent in a small country with no searchable online database of copyrights to keep it secret-- nobody noticed Hearthstone being patented, yet they were able to get international copyrights by... Rite of expedience or something like that >.> I don't know patent law.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by wowcrendor View Post
    lawlz, I like ur sig
    Does this make me internet famous?

  3. #3
    I think you are forgetting about how the trademarked their most recent game, Hearthstone.

  4. #4
    As already said, it will be hidden on some other country, just like they did with Hearthstone.

    We only will know a couple weeks before Blizzcon, at best.

  5. #5
    Herald of the Titans Mojo Risin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,740
    I'm not forgetting the Hearthstone scenario. I mention it clearly in the OP.

    However, we do not know for certain that this also applies to WoW expansions. The speculation following the trademark is probably good publicity, and raises people's interest in the game and what Blizzard have to say in the months to come. More articles written, more talk, and more live stream tickets sold for Blizzcon.
    '"Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it.'

    The Trophy System
    WarCrafting 2.0
    Mount 2.0
    World Enhancement Patch 1.0

  6. #6
    Good luck finding out the patent info if they patent it in an obscure country like Swaziland again.

  7. #7
    Scarab Lord Viridiancity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    AFK in Lunarfall
    Posts
    4,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    I'm not forgetting the Hearthstone scenario. I mention it clearly in the OP.

    However, we do not know for certain that this also applies to WoW expansions. The speculation following the trademark is probably good publicity, and raises people's interest in the game and what Blizzard have to say in the months to come. More articles written, more talk, and more live stream tickets sold for Blizzcon.
    It would be admittedly pretty stupid of them to not 'leak' something soon, considering declining interest and apparent community backlash towards their most recent decisions.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.
    Quote Originally Posted by wowcrendor View Post
    lawlz, I like ur sig
    Does this make me internet famous?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    I'm not forgetting the Hearthstone scenario. I mention it clearly in the OP.

    However, we do not know for certain that this also applies to WoW expansions. The speculation following the trademark is probably good publicity, and raises people's interest in the game and what Blizzard have to say in the months to come. More articles written, more talk, and more live stream tickets sold for Blizzcon.
    Remember these guys?



    The mongolian pandaren that people wanted to be the Horde counterpart for the Alliance pandaren? Those were made up from speculation and artworks. When Blizzard anounced that the standard chinese pandaren would be a neutral race for both factions, those who expected more were disappointed, and those who expected that weren't surprised.

    Speculating from the trademark is fun, but it also creates fan-made expectations that Blizzard has to compete against when making the official announcement.

    If they don't reveal anything until Blizzcon, they don't have that problem. Besides, people are already speculating about the theme, they don't need any real information to get hyped.

  9. #9
    Herald of the Titans Mojo Risin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Remember these guys?



    The mongolian pandaren that people wanted to be the Horde counterpart for the Alliance pandaren? Those were made up from speculation and artworks. When Blizzard anounced that the standard chinese pandaren would be a neutral race for both factions, those who expected more were disappointed, and those who expected that weren't surprised.

    Speculating from the trademark is fun, but it also creates fan-made expectations that Blizzard has to compete against when making the official announcement.

    If they don't reveal anything until Blizzcon, they don't have that problem. Besides, people are already speculating about the theme, they don't need any real information to get hyped.
    I remember, and it's a good point. But then again, they are likely to have a badass Legion expansion for us this time. People were disappointed cause... Pandaren. Not because their ideas of the Pandaren were necessarily that much different from what we got.
    '"Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it.'

    The Trophy System
    WarCrafting 2.0
    Mount 2.0
    World Enhancement Patch 1.0

  10. #10
    The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Dota 2 24/7 / Dark Souls II
    Posts
    21,558
    Quote Originally Posted by Mojo Risin View Post
    I remember, and it's a good point. But then again, they are likely to have a badass Legion expansion for us this time. People were disappointed cause... Pandaren. Not because their ideas of the Pandaren were necessarily that much different from what we got.
    So obvious too I mean the falling meteors was enough when Wrathion shows it to you lol

  11. #11
    Herald of the Titans Mojo Risin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by I make people mad View Post
    So obvious too I mean the falling meteors was enough when Wrathion shows it to you lol
    Yeah. That, and personally Metzen convinced me when he responded to my tweet by saying that we're gonna need Turalyon and Alleria for what's next. Such an obvious giveaway.
    '"Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it.'

    The Trophy System
    WarCrafting 2.0
    Mount 2.0
    World Enhancement Patch 1.0

  12. #12
    Where is the trademark???
    It's august 3

  13. #13
    Dreadlord vmagik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Acherus
    Posts
    861
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Rider View Post
    Where is the trademark???
    It's august 3
    WoW: Cute but Deadly.

    Forget what it says about merchandise and suchlike, it'll actually be an expansion based around Gurky's attempts to take over the world!

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post

    Speculating from the trademark is fun, but it also creates fan-made expectations that Blizzard has to compete against when making the official announcement.

    If they don't reveal anything until Blizzcon, they don't have that problem. Besides, people are already speculating about the theme, they don't need any real information to get hyped.
    Honestly, I don't recall any strong uproar about "mongolian" pandaren. I just know people fantasized about the pandaren and that was it. Not a big deal. It always happens. It will happen this time, too, irrespective of the leak date.

    No, no don't wanna be a hipster but a big star
    And I wanna see my name tattooed where your tits are

  15. #15
    When is Blizzcon? That's when we'll find out.

  16. #16
    Dreadlord Tarx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    787
    I bet we will have news at blizzcon or on september.

  17. #17
    Herald of the Titans Mojo Risin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    2,740
    I'm a bit sadface today. :<

    But hey, I heard someone mention the other week that the Trademark office only release new TMs on Tuesdays and Thursdays?

    Both WotLK and MoP hit the news on Thursdays, if memory serves.

    So maybe it was registered, but won't be visible until Tuesday the 6th of August?
    '"Good morning!" said Bilbo, and he meant it.'

    The Trophy System
    WarCrafting 2.0
    Mount 2.0
    World Enhancement Patch 1.0

  18. #18
    Field Marshal Shiino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    93
    WoW : everqeust next

  19. #19
    Warchief
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Behind you
    Posts
    2,104
    Imo not before blizzcon.

  20. #20

    it stopped loading, now gone

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •