Question non gaming build

Hi mmo-c! My mom just opened her psiquiatric clinic and she was looking for a computer to write and save the medical records and do other searches. I dont think she need some powerful set up but a long-lived one that run smooth in a 22'' or so conventional monitor. No need for peripherals.

pros to consider:

- noiseless
    - easy to clean (doesn't catch a lot of dust, etc.)
    - small size
    - stable and durable

If you think of a laptop that can work out it would also be ok. About the budget, it doesn't matter actually, she's been looking 400€ laptops and i suspect she could save 100 or 200€ by building it :P Thank you in advance, greetings

10+ Year Old Account
    I think you need to clarify for a second here because what i'm gathering is this thing will be storing medical records in which case I would trust nothing less than a raid 5 setup. However you then say she is looking at laptops... so i'm confused but if she is looking at the low end spectrum chances are prebuilt will be better than self built simply due to windows licences.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

Deleted
    I think the most important part is going to be data safety. Something like RAID1 + weekly backups to external device and strong encryption. Any dualcore PC which can handle the raid will be more than sufficient.

17" laptop would probably be cheapest way to get what she needs since monitor and OS will cost whole lot less than on anything you can build yourself. For data security external USB HDD for daily backups is enough for small business. Especially if you carry the external disc to home at the end of the day so that the backup and the laptop arent in same location 24/7.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    17" laptop would probably be cheapest way to get what she needs since monitor and OS will cost whole lot less than on anything you can build yourself. For data security external USB HDD for daily backups is enough for small business. Especially if you carry the external disc to home at the end of the day so that the backup and the laptop arent in same location 24/7.
    Chances are she's not a tech wizard and will probably forget to backup after a month.

Quote Originally Posted by Prixie View Post
    Chances are she's not a tech wizard and will probably forget to backup after a month.
    Some cloud based service then should fix it, set up once and never need to worry about. Probably dont need much upload bandwidth.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dropbox and done. Backs up to her computer at home, or whatever.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    You are suggesting to store medical records on cloud service? Might not please tech savvy patients in midst of the news about NSA sniffing around.

Quote Originally Posted by samthing View Post
    You are suggesting to store medical records on cloud service? Might not please tech savvy patients in midst of the news about NSA sniffing around.
    Having the computer physically stolen is bigger security risk than using some cloud backup service. Besides NSA can get any records they want from any hospital directly.
    Trolling should be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by samthing View Post
    First... when was the last time you asked your doctor how they back up files and keep your information both safe, and private? Nobody does.

Second... what's easier to steal/access? Data on a computer at the office and at home... or an External drive from a purse or left in the car? I'm all for off-site backup, but I would never, ever use a flash drive or external drive that physically leaves the office and is transported elsewhere every day, unless it was their job (i.e. locked case that gets transported to safe location. Not home.) to do specifically that.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Thank you all for the answers. RAID software is too much i think, the data protection agency in my country (Spain) clearly states how, for how long and what data to save so as long as we comply with the law should be ok, no need to become paranoid :P (As a note, the clinic is within the parcel of house, so if she were to backup data in a SSD this would be safe.)

Then i think i'll tell her to buy a cute laptop and done, ty ^^