View Poll Results: Should Ghostcrawler be replaced as Lead Systems Designer?

Voters
2314. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

526 22.73%
  • No

1,788 77.27%
Page 15 of 28 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    There is also the fact that 30+ million people played and left during the span of Vanilla/TBC/WoTLK too. So overall player retention was still quite poor in the oh-so-amazing Vanilla/TBC era when you look at the numbers. So the people that use the argument you quoted are making an even worse argument than they realise.
    Where did you get 30+ million? Seems exorbitant.
    If I recall correctly, sometime during WotLK it was publicly announced that more players had played and left WoW than were currently playing WoW, which I gather was around 10-12 million.

Quote Originally Posted by Lolercaust View Post
    If I recall correctly, sometime during WotLK it was publicly announced that more players had played and left WoW than were currently playing WoW, which I gather was around 10-12 million.
    I don't remember who at Blizzard said it, maybe Morhaime, but it was certainly mentioned to be 30 million and more. I'll see if I can find it...

Sometimes updated...

Where did you get 30+ million?
    Random Number Generation.

The expertise of every MMO-Champion member when discussing something.

Definitely no.Why would he?He is doing his best to balance fulfilling player's wishes and doing his job,not matter what people say.Unlike other developers,he actually communicates with the community about the game.People will always complain,no matter what.And he is generally awesome.So no.

Maybe the trade-off is worth it for some people i.e. depth at the expense of convenience.
    Don't confuse depth with complexity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4Gs9Gt2Iw

Sunwell is a poor example though, because as is oft-repeated around here, something like less than 1% of the playerbase experienced that content.
    Sunwell is great example because people it's also often repeated here that it was the best raid ever. There were plenty of things wrong with it that people tend to gloss over with nostalgia goggles, like for example the chain potting and the farming requirements to support it.

Morhaime said it in some interview or investor call, late Cata IIRC. During WLK it was already twice as much had played than were currently subbed.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-08-06 at 08:31 PM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    I don't remember who at Blizzard said it, maybe Morhaime, but it was certainly mentioned to be 30 million and more. I'll see if I can find it...
    I believe 30 million was the total number that had ever played, not the total number of ex-players. Still, ex-players outnumber current players by a factor of several.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

He saw this thread, Idk if it's posted yet

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>MMOC forums let me keep my job again. Whew.</p>&mdash; Greg Street (@Ghostcrawler) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ghostcrawler/statuses/363187762016423938">August 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I find this pool offensive and childish...

but i'll take the bait!
    I believe he does an awesome job and that the community asks all from him/blizzard, and even more. They ask Yes and No at the same time! they ask them to paint stuff Blue and Red and white and black and green, eetc all at the same time!

Quote Originally Posted by Dekadez View Post
    Random Number Generation.

The expertise of every MMO-Champion member when discussing something.
    Yeah, not a number I made up at all, actually. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I believe 30 million was the total number that had ever played, not the total number of ex-players. Still, ex-players outnumber current players by a factor of several.
    I knew it was 30 million something ^_^ Still, that's 18 million people that had played at some point during Vanilla/TBC/WoTLK and then left.

Sometimes updated...

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Don't confuse depth with complexity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4Gs9Gt2Iw
    I love extra credit, the guy knows what the hell he's talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by Murdos View Post
    If X is % better then Y, Y is bad. I hate that concept with the searing, burning unfathomable energy of a collapsing supergiant.

Dreadlord
    If anything, that guy will get a promotion as he is the most famous person in all of Blizzard Entertainment now.
    Much love to Indicate for creating. Eis' work

He should be fired. The state of PVP is actually disgusting right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    He should be fired. The state of PVP is actually disgusting right now.
    You didn't read any of the posts in this thread, right? Or just the negative ones, selectively?
    GC doesn't do PvP - they have other dudes for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    You didn't read any of the posts in this thread, right? Or just the negative ones, selectively?
    Well, he DOES head the team that does stats and talents and class design, which definitely does affect PvP.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "Almost every time I have gotten to know a critic personally, they keep up with the criticism but lose the venom." -- Ghostcrawler
    I hate these casual Fridays ruining it for real Fridays.

PvP dudes need to get cracking though...there's so many things Blizzard can do with wow pvp that haven't even been tapped into yet, some sort of bounty system on pvp servers being just one of those things.

I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head-- Wait no I'm not. Kek.
    Over the years I've been pretty critical of him. This said however I will say that aside from a few individual spats with him, I prefer to take a longer view of the game. The game is greater than any individual and while I dislike concepts like CRZ I can see why they were implemented. Most of the things he does and says are well reasoned, and he has the guts to tell off people who are being stupid to not be stupid. For this and his efforts at Class Balance which are almost ALWAYS taken out of context by mouthbreathers "Leveraging for nerfs / buffs" as Tseric would of said, I think he's doing well.

The real problem is that people rage that he isn't a servile whimpering yes-man that does what they want, rather than what the game needs and so like broken records, they make "FIRE GC!11!!" Threads, never realizing that in the end. They are expendable. People like Xanzul who behave as attack dogs do him a disservice, as they make him appear to be an authoritarian asshole, and having met him IRL at one point. He's far from that.

Maybe some will say WoW's decline is his doing, and maybe it is to a point. Yet the petulant dip-shits will quit regardless, and blame him. More and more will come in and the cycle will repeat. So it goes.

The end of the discussion though is the Game is almost a Decade old, and the community sucks. So kudos to him for staying sane.
    Last edited by The Penguin; 2013-08-06 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    GC isn't responsible for everything in game

Stop bashing him for everything wrong with the game
    thats right. gc isnt the one to blame. its KALGAN who is to blame for messing everything up! get rid of him and watch everything get better again over time.

- - - Updated - - -

yes and the pvptard is kalgan. fool dont know how to code or balance.

Whoever will lose his position doesn't matter for as long as it will fix at least some of WoW problems.
    The game is greater than any individual and while I dislike concepts like CRZ I can see why they were implemented.
    Even though I heavily dislike GC, but CRZ has nothing to do with him. It was financial department, who pointed out easy savings on expenses (as CRZ allows to cut expenses on hardware by around 80% - that's quite significant cut). It was more than obvious that CRZ wouldn't benefit any player. In this case GC was just messenger and nothing depended from him.
    People like Xanzul who behave as attack dogs do him a disservice, as they make him appear to be an authoritarian asshole, and having met him IRL at one point.
    There are rumors flying around that Xanzul is GC in disguise.
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2013-08-07 at 05:44 AM.

I rather like how open GC is and how he explains why they do such and such things. As an interface with players, I think he's quite good.
    I also tend to feel for him when he's facing knee-jerk reactions from many in the community, and that much of the hostility he's confronted to is misplaced.

But I think he fails hard when it comes to making the game "good". I'm not sure if it's because of "him" or because he's been instructed to follow bad guidelines, but since he's been lead designer, the game has consistently went in the wrong direction.

He also lost my respect considerably with his flip-flopping, making a big deal of things and defining them as core design philosophy point, just to make a 180° in short order. This made him look very insincere and unreliable.
    Additionnally, he felt very out of touch with the real state of the game (I'll remember all my gaming life how he tried to argue that WotLK "heroics" were not facerolls at the beginning, despite people clearing them in quest greens, and how AoE weren't overpowered and "you could not AoE Vezaxx trash before overgearing the instance", despite even non-HM guilds doing just that at the time.

As such, as "lead designer", the guy in charge of giving the game direction, he's in my eyes a complete failure, and should be replaced.
    Last edited by Akka; 2013-08-07 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I rather like how open GC is and how he explains why they do such and such things. As an interface with players, I think he's quite good.
    I also tend to feel for him when he's facing knee-jerk reactions from many in the community, and that much of the hostility he's confronted to is misplaced.

But I think he fails hard when it comes to making the game "good". I'm not sure if it's because of "him" or because he's been instructed to follow bad guidelines, but since he's been lead designer, the game has consistently went in the wrong direction.

He also lost my respect considerably with his flip-flopping, making a big deal of things and defining them as core design philosophy point, just to make a 180° in short order. This made him look very insincere and unreliable.
    Additionnally, he felt very out of touch with the real state of the game (I'll remember all my gaming life how he tried to argue that WotLK "heroics" were not facerolls at the beginning, despite people clearing them in quest greens, and how AoE weren't overpowered and "you could not AoE Vezaxx trash before overgearing the instance", despite even non-HM guilds doing just that at the time.

As such, as "lead designer", the guy in charge of giving the game direction, he's in my eyes a complete failure, and should be replaced.

If he was a complete failure the game wouldn't have made it as far as it has under his rule.