View Poll Results: Should Ghostcrawler be replaced as Lead Systems Designer?

Voters
2314. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    526 22.73%
  • No

    1,788 77.27%
Page 23 of 28 FirstFirst ...
13
21
22
23
24
25
... LastLast
  1. #441
    Titan apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    12,622
    No, if he would have lost his job, he would have already lost it by now.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  2. #442
    Titan Winter Blossom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    "Winter is coming"
    Posts
    11,703
    I think WoW needs some new faces. I don't want him fired, just to step down in the current area that he is in.

    We need a little change, IMO.

  3. #443
    The Patient kenshinag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    327
    I don't think he will lose his job and I don't think he needs to. This expac was the most risk they've ever taken and I think it worked out.
    My Shaman! <~ Old Main
    My Warlock! <~ New Main

  4. #444
    Ghostcrawler is the biggest fucking idiot at Blizzard. His narcissism never fades no matter how many times he is wrong. I don't like when people rewrite history and make it as if WoW's precipitous decline in subs was inevitable. It was far from inevitable. People left Cataclysm and MOP for different reasons. Those of you who remember the bleeding with cata started when the powers that be determined that dungeons in wrath were too easy and decided to fill cata dungeons with one shot mechanics. The outcome was queues of 1hr+ that ended up disbanding because someone could not avoid a one shot mechanic. Blizzard also changed healing styles from Wrath substantially which made healers mad at that time too. GC in his infinite wisdom decided to post "dungeons are supposed to be hard" http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/2053469#blog (GC's greatness on full display for those who want to travel down memory lane). That is when serious diving in subs began. Unification of 10 and 25 brackets was the right thing to do but executed horribly in Cata. 10 man normals were too hard for people who were used to going far in ICC @30% on normal. The end result was that casuals really had no content for them. Dungeons were horrible and raids were inaccessible. Mediocre players had their faces rubbed "in it" when it came to illustrating their poor play. One of the many reasons WOTLK was the pinnacle of WoW experience was that everyone had content for them. People who were bad could still go into ICC @30% and take out a few bosses, those who wanted heroic challenges killed LK on 25 heroic before the buff got to 30%. Everyone could have fun without being insulted. Cata started off on the wrong foot big time. It took desperate measures (Annual pass and Scroll of Resurrection) to prevent an absolute collapse in subscriptions. Blizzard saw the issues and decided to make an expansion about an April fool's joke. A Seinfeld expansion, an expansion about nothing.

    MOP brought about completely different problems. Blizzard saw the light and decided to make heroic dungeons once again accessible. LFR continued from Dragon Soul was intended to let people see content without doing anything really. GC in his infinite wisdom decided to nuke talent trees. He also thought that reputations were being achieved too fast and that instead of a tried and true system of tabards, people would gain rep through dailies only(real exciting). There was nothing wrong with the tabard system. Reputations are simply a nuisance to most people and should be disposed of in short order. GC's stupid way had to be changed and he implemented a system whereby a character at a certain level could purchase a book and accelerate reputation gains on all characters on the account for that particular faction. Subsequently even that proved to be inadequate and people could gain rep from dungeons/scenarios in a limited way. GC could have simply kept the old system but it was too complex for him to leave something that was obviously working intact.

    The most fundamental reason why MOP is bleeding subscribers is that Blizzard is desperately trying to provide as little real content as possible. There have not been a single new dungeon since launch of MOP. The emphasis is on daillies(and more dailies), scenarios, heroic scenarios, challenges, brawler's guild, pet battles, proving grounds instead of dungeons. Blizzard is doing everything it can to not provide more dungeons because they take valuable developer time. Problem is, Blizzard is making its cash cow approach to WoW way too obvious and people resent that. So if you take an expansion with a lame lore direction, over reliance on dailies for everything and least amount of dungeons ever, you can see where MOP is falling short.

  5. #445
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Healing was more boring before Cata revamps, so GC was right on that. At least for priest and shaman classes that I have experience of. Simply disagreeing with him isn't valid reason for anybody to get fired.
    It's why I don't like him personally, and why I think he made the game less fun for me. If I could fire him, I would. I don't have the data to say if it's his fault if the game performs worse than Blizzard would like.

    MOP brought about completely different problems. Blizzard saw the light and decided to make heroic dungeons once again accessible. LFR continued from Dragon Soul was intended to let people see content without doing anything really. GC in his infinite wisdom decided to nuke talent trees. He also thought that reputations were being achieved too fast and that instead of a tried and true system of tabards, people would gain rep through dailies only(real exciting). There was nothing wrong with the tabard system. Reputations are simply a nuisance to most people and should be disposed of in short order. GC's stupid way had to be changed and he implemented a system whereby a character at a certain level could purchase a book and accelerate reputation gains on all characters on the account for that particular faction. Subsequently even that proved to be inadequate and people could gain rep from dungeons/scenarios in a limited way. GC could have simply kept the old system but it was too complex for him to leave something that was obviously working intact.
    I wonder why they never tried the more "middle ground" approach for rep (seen in BC and to a lesser extent vanilla) where you could get rep in dungeons but you had to go to certain zone's dungeons for certain reps (like heroic Hellfire instances for HH/Thrallmar) rather than chain farm the fastest one. If they had to make it more annoying in some way.
    Last edited by rebecca191; 2013-08-16 at 05:47 AM.

  6. #446
    Scarab Lord Mokoshne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    getting a coffee
    Posts
    4,489
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    Ghostcrawler is the biggest fucking idiot at Blizzard. His narcissism never fades no matter how many times he is wrong. I don't like when people rewrite history and make it as if WoW's precipitous decline in subs was inevitable. It was far from inevitable. People left Cataclysm and MOP for different reasons.
    Just because you disagree with some of his ideas, reasons and the way he presents himself doesn't make him an idiot. Far from it. He is pretty intelligent. You really think Blizzard would put an idiot in his position? It's a bitch of a job and someone has to do it.

    You're entitled to your opinion, as am i, and I think he's a top bloke and i'd like to buy him a beer.
    My weekly podcast can be downloaded here this week we discuss Bill Cosby

  7. #447
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    Ghostcrawler is the biggest fucking idiot at Blizzard...
    this describes my views about GC pretty much.

  8. #448
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Just because you disagree with some of his ideas, reasons and the way he presents himself doesn't make him an idiot. Far from it. He is pretty intelligent. You really think Blizzard would put an idiot in his position? It's a bitch of a job and someone has to do it.

    You're entitled to your opinion, as am i, and I think he's a top bloke and i'd like to buy him a beer.
    Men in much more important positions than lead systems designer were morons throughout history. That is not really an argument to assume that just because a person occupies a post, that person is qualified to occupy that post. When your subscriptions go from all time high of 12,500,000 to 7,700,000 you have to be responsible. Blaming player fatigue is lame and masks the real issue. Cataclysm could have been a lot worse if not for annual pass and scroll of resurrection. Those were desperate measures and allowed Blizzard to stop the bleeding temporarily until MOP arrived. When people got a taste of MOP the bleeding continued and accelerated.

    Even as far as player relations go, GC is horrible. His tweets mocking this thread underscore it even more.

  9. #449
    The Lightbringer Tharkkun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Minnesnowta
    Posts
    3,449
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    Men in much more important positions than lead systems designer were morons throughout history. That is not really an argument to assume that just because a person occupies a post, that person is qualified to occupy that post. When your subscriptions go from all time high of 12,500,000 to 7,700,000 you have to be responsible. Blaming player fatigue is lame and masks the real issue. Cataclysm could have been a lot worse if not for annual pass and scroll of resurrection. Those were desperate measures and allowed Blizzard to stop the bleeding temporarily until MOP arrived. When people got a taste of MOP the bleeding continued and accelerated.

    Even as far as player relations go, GC is horrible. His tweets mocking this thread underscore it even more.
    I disagree. Class balance is closer than it ever was prior to him joining the development team. He does class and tradeskills and has *input* on other areas. Just like we have input.

    If you don't want to be mocked by GC then maybe you shouldn't troll him in a public forum. You get so invested in this game you get the idea that you control how it's developed. Let's see any other game that has more than 1 million paying subscribers. You will find 0. Show me a game with 500k active accounts after 5 years. You will still find 0. We're approaching 9 years will close to 8 million paying subs. There's no prior history to follow on what WoW should or shouldn't do because no one has been at this point.

    By gaming standards WoW should have become a ghost town 5+ years ago. Yet we're still here.

  10. #450
    Elemental Lord Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    8,523
    Quote Originally Posted by Meldar View Post
    this describes my views about GC pretty much.
    Why.

    He hasn't even made half the decisions you probably dislike with the game.

    Did you or the guy you're quoting even read the other responses in the thread, or did you just find a need to come into the thread with no actual knowledge on how the development team works and spew unaligned hatred?
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  11. #451
    Quote Originally Posted by Tharkkun View Post
    I disagree. Class balance is closer than it ever was prior to him joining the development team. He does class and tradeskills and has *input* on other areas. Just like we have input.

    If you don't want to be mocked by GC then maybe you shouldn't troll him in a public forum. You get so invested in this game you get the idea that you control how it's developed. Let's see any other game that has more than 1 million paying subscribers. You will find 0. Show me a game with 500k active accounts after 5 years. You will still find 0. We're approaching 9 years will close to 8 million paying subs. There's no prior history to follow on what WoW should or shouldn't do because no one has been at this point.

    By gaming standards WoW should have become a ghost town 5+ years ago. Yet we're still here.
    WoW became a great game and industry leader well before GC showed up on the scene. Comparing it to other games is moot. Industry leader should not have collapsing subscriptions it is that simple. Blizzard made other mistakes as well which are beyond GC's control. If I am a new player and want to get started I have to buy Classic+BC+Wotlk Battle Chest and Stack Cata+MOP on top of it. That is for a "9 year old game" as you say. Blizzard resisted merging servers for the longest time and even now is getting ready to do it in its own way. Blizzard never wanted to merge servers not because of any technical problems (numerous other games managed it just fine) but because merging servers would have sent the signal that the game is in trouble. Well the game is in trouble.

    N.B I would have never gotten my TLPD in Wrath or Grey Camel in Cata had CRZ's been implemented back then.

  12. #452
    Elemental Lord Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    8,523
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    Men in much more important positions than lead systems designer were morons throughout history. That is not really an argument to assume that just because a person occupies a post, that person is qualified to occupy that post. When your subscriptions go from all time high of 12,500,000 to 7,700,000 you have to be responsible. Blaming player fatigue is lame and masks the real issue. Cataclysm could have been a lot worse if not for annual pass and scroll of resurrection. Those were desperate measures and allowed Blizzard to stop the bleeding temporarily until MOP arrived. When people got a taste of MOP the bleeding continued and accelerated.

    Even as far as player relations go, GC is horrible. His tweets mocking this thread underscore it even more.
    When the game goes from 12,500,000 it isn't a single man's fault.

    It can also not even be any person's fault.

    Why do so many of you forget this game is 9 years old?

    Look at Everquest. It's not where near as successful as it used to be.

    Everything wears down with time. Why is that such a hard fact to accept.

    Why do so many people find a need to put a name to their disdain that has no actual aim?

    You're just blaming GC because you don't like the game you don't play anymore.

    It's not even his fault. If you want the game to be around 1 million subscribers, find someone to take his and the other developer positions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  13. #453
    Warchief theWocky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    2,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Oh well well, not intended sir. My humble apologize. *bow*
    He He, it's ok.
    ★ twitter @WockyCC ★ blog wockycc.tumblr.comyou-tube: Wocky GAMING
    Recent Video ★ Enter the Wocky: an introduction
    Partner/Member of the CURSE "Union for Gamers" YouTube Gaming Network | ★ Wocky's Computer Specs: HERE
    #WOCKSTER Gaming CommunitySteam Games List"


  14. #454
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Why.

    He hasn't even made half the decisions you probably dislike with the game.

    Did you or the guy you're quoting even read the other responses in the thread, or did you just find a need to come into the thread with no actual knowledge on how the development team works and spew unaligned hatred?
    I read the whole thread, every single page and every single post. It is not "unaligned hatred", it is documented instances when GC had to reverse his smug self after his ideas blew up in his face.

  15. #455
    Elemental Lord Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    8,523
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    WoW became a great game and industry leader well before GC showed up on the scene. Comparing it to other games is moot. Industry leader should not have collapsing subscriptions it is that simple. Blizzard made other mistakes as well which are beyond GC's control. If I am a new player and want to get started I have to buy Classic+BC+Wotlk Battle Chest and Stack Cata+MOP on top of it. That is for a "9 year old game" as you say. Blizzard resisted merging servers for the longest time and even now is getting ready to do it in its own way. Blizzard never wanted to merge servers not because of any technical problems (numerous other games managed it just fine) but because merging servers would have sent the signal that the game is in trouble. Well the game is in trouble.

    N.B I would have never gotten my TLPD in Wrath or Grey Camel in Cata had CRZ's been implemented back then.
    GC joined in BC when your golden years of WoW existed.

    The guy before GC is also back in the team for the next expansion and they both have similar philosophies.

    You are one of the few who still think the type of game from back in the day (Vanilla, BC) is a better game.

    And, sure, that's your opinion on it. Having that kind of mentality as a developer and moving backwards instead of FORWARDS as the market shifts is just idiocy.

    That is a bad developer.

    If you want a developer with that kind of mindset, by all means for GC. You'll see WoW dead within a year.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    I read the whole thread, every single page and every single post. It is not "unaligned hatred", it is documented instances when GC had to reverse his smug self after his ideas blew up in his face.
    Yes, it kind of is because GC doesn't make half the decisions that happen to the game. He's one of the leads, but by no means does that mean he decides on everything.

    Name a few ideas that blew up in his face.

    If any of your examples include LFR, LFD, etc, don't even respond to my post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  16. #456
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    When the game goes from 12,500,000 it isn't a single man's fault.

    It can also not even be any person's fault.

    Why do so many of you forget this game is 9 years old?

    Look at Everquest. It's not where near as successful as it used to be.

    Everything wears down with time. Why is that such a hard fact to accept.

    Why do so many people find a need to put a name to their disdain that has no actual aim?

    You're just blaming GC because you don't like the game you don't play anymore.

    It's not even his fault. If you want the game to be around 1 million subscribers, find someone to take his and the other developer positions.
    Who said I don't play anymore? I do play, even before that I paid off my annual pass. My contempt for MOP has not changed though. I consider it to be a failed expansion on many different levels and can't wait to see if another expansion can actually be interesting lore wise.

  17. #457
    Elemental Lord Destil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Kanda's House
    Posts
    8,523
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    Who said I don't play anymore? I do play, even before that I paid off my annual pass. My contempt for MOP has not changed though. I consider it to be a failed expansion on many different levels and can't wait to see if another expansion can actually be interesting lore wise.
    Why is it failed. Because it slowed the subscriber loss after Cataclysm?

    Honestly, the subscriber loss after Wrath was always coming. Wrath was the peak for the game. Blizzard fucked up royally during Cata and they lost more subscribers than they should have.

    This is where opinions differ, but when it comes to lore and MoP I think most people who hold contempt for Mists just hold it because they can't look past the Pandaren.

    Mists' story is some of the best story telling that has been implemented in the game since Wrath. I haven't been this interested since I first stepped foot into Borean Tundra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    Mike Morhaine's definitely been using his body to sell copies of WoW.
    Writer and journalist for Adventures In Poor Taste (http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/)

  18. #458
    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    GC joined in BC when your golden years of WoW existed.

    The guy before GC is also back in the team for the next expansion and they both have similar philosophies.

    You are one of the few who still think the type of game from back in the day (Vanilla, BC) is a better game.

    And, sure, that's your opinion on it. Having that kind of mentality as a developer and moving backwards instead of FORWARDS as the market shifts is just idiocy.

    That is a bad developer.

    If you want a developer with that kind of mindset, by all means for GC. You'll see WoW dead within a year.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Yes, it kind of is because GC doesn't make half the decisions that happen to the game. He's one of the leads, but by no means does that mean he decides on everything.

    Name a few ideas that blew up in his face.

    If any of your examples include LFR, LFD, etc, don't even respond to my post.
    Off the top of my head:
    1. "Dungeons are supposed to be hard"
    2. MOP rep system where it had to go back to a bastardized way of getting rep through instances
    3. Talent system where Optimum talents still persisted. Most recently they made one of the shammy talents baseline because there was no reason to take anything else in that tier for a shammy healer.

  19. #459
    ROAR! Hulk Angry! Hulk not accept change in Hulk favorite Video Game! Hulk need scape goat! Hulk Blame front man! Hulk smash Ghost Crawler! Hulk smash Puny game man!! Hulk Angry!!! Hulk smash Crab Man! ROAR!!!! - Hulk goes into a Nerd Rage (the most deadly form of anger known to man!) and explodes in a planet shattering Gamma fueled mushroom cloud!

  20. #460
    Quote Originally Posted by kenshinag View Post
    I don't think he will lose his job and I don't think he needs to. This expac was the most risk they've ever taken and I think it worked out.
    lolol

    It did NOT work out.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •