View Poll Results: Should Ghostcrawler be replaced as Lead Systems Designer?

Voters
2314. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    526 22.73%
  • No

    1,788 77.27%
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ...
15
23
24
25
26
27
... LastLast
  1. #481
    The problem isn't the Systems, it's the entire direction of the game, including the lore.

  2. #482
    I would love to know how many people who voted "no" has someone paying their subscription for them and how many that voted "yes" pays for their own subscription.
    Overall there have been great ideas in the last few expansions and there have been a lot of disappointment. I don't know what the right answer is but I miss a certain maturity, intelligence and sense of community that was the atmosphere of vanilla. The current content appeals to the instant gratification crowd. I don't think there's longevity in that direction.
    I think changes are going to happen and GC will be a part of that change.

  3. #483
    Nah, he's gonna stay.
    The man is a legend.
    No Envy, No Fear


  4. #484
    Quote Originally Posted by Inokungfu View Post
    I would love to know how many people who voted "no" has someone paying their subscription for them and how many that voted "yes" pays for their own subscription.
    What sort of question is this? I imagine most people pay their own subs. But shockingly we all have different opinions! I know, crazy isn't it?

  5. #485
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadstone View Post
    Nope, didn't say that. However, it's a huge indicator of a problem in a company when almost half of your customers take their business elsewhere.
    so... your idea of fixing this problem is to fire one of the guys who has had a minimal effort in the changes throughout WoW?

    i hope the majority of you realize that the sub loss has nothing to even do with the balance of the game in terms of class/races.

    Most people unsub because they no longer have the time/money to play. This is actually how it has always been, fun fact.

    The difference between NOW and BEFORE (Vanilla/TBC/WoTLK) was that there was a constant INFLUX of players, as time moved forward this influx deteriorated because of various reasons involving age of the product, competing products, differentiating products. Video gaming has largely moved away from RPGs and into FPS gaming and then into MOBA gaming.

    Saying that WoW is dead because of the design team is the most halfwitted thing I have ever read. The majority of the players couldn't understand class balance if it shot them in the face with a fucking cannon. Most idiots simply look at "nerfs? OMG MY CLASS SUCKS NOW." The majority of players don't even fucking do dungeons or heroics or even raids. They just level up, then unsub. That's how it's ALWAYS been.


    i'd honestly like to meet the various people who unsub due to class balance and compare them to the people who just generally lost interest in the game.

  6. #486
    just returned to assure everyone that I still believe GC is a retard with a big paycheck, sack the fucker already...

    Infracted
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-08-22 at 06:29 PM.

  7. #487
    If Wow continues to decline, Activision BLizzard will start scapegoating people, especially if the next expansion does poorly.

    How many heads will roll before his, I don't know.

    I don't like Ghostcrawler, but I don't play any more, so not that relevant.

  8. #488
    The Patient kenshinag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Hawaii
    Posts
    345
    Quote Originally Posted by gee View Post
    lolol

    It did NOT work out.
    Good thing I added that "I think" before my opinion or you would have confused me with stating my opinions as facts.

  9. #489
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    This is faulty logic. There is absolutely no reason why WoW couldn't have kept 12mil+ subs for the next 10 or 20 years. People are still playing mmos; there's an MMO with more than 20 million players in the East atm. Why couldn't WoW have been that MMO? Look at a company like Apple, who reinvented itself after dominating the market in the 80s/90s and today remains a leading supplier of computers, along with ipads and ipods and tablets,etc.

    Bottom line is that WoW is losing subs because it failed to adapt itself to a changing market. So now that competitors are here offering other genres of games to play/other MMOs, people are choosing to play those games instead.

    Blizzard could still make a comeback and turn around the subscription loss, but they're going to have to innovate/change things up a lot for that to happen.
    What on earth are you talking about? You do realize those 12 million subscribers weren't all the same people right? In fact Blizzard has stated more than once that there are at minimum at least 20 million people who have played Wow at one point or another. Wow has had substantial subscriber churn for its entire run and yes that includes the sacred and holy TBC that can do no wrong. Wow was the first and only mmo so far to actually hit market saturation and it was clear as day it wasn't going to be sustainable. Wrath launched with 11.5 million subscribers and stagnated for more than 2 years and only hit 12 million because of Wrath's launch in China shortly before Cata was released in NA/EU regions. The only reason subscriptions kept rising or at least stayed somewhat stable is because there were more people coming to the game than leaving it. That's it. Nothing more nothing less. It doesn't mean TBC was the holy grail of gaming any more than Wrath was. Both expansions saw many many many many different people coming and going despite both expansions being polar opposites of each other.

    There is absolutely nothing Blizzard could have done to prevent subscriber loss. They can't make people stay and they certainly can't get more customers because those are limited by the fact mmo gaming is a very niche market. It isn't like they are Mcdonalds and can post up a new commercial and create new customers. It just doesn't work that way. Anyone who was going to play Wow has played Wow. The game is old, the market has changed and more importantly the players have changed.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jax View Post
    Will he be? Doubtful.
    Should he be? Absolutely.

    The game has seen a huge decline under his watch.

    You can and I see are arguing that he is not solely responsible and true it may have lost people anyway cause of age etc... but those are not the points and do not matter. Someone has to take hit for the free fall the game is in and he has been put out there as the front man.
    Either by his own doing or by Blizzard, GC is "the man" and when you are "the man" you get the glory or you get the shit.

    It does not help that he is a complete asshole and has no concept of customer service or how to talk to consumers. That IMO is Blizzard's fault, (that they didn't pick someone that knows even the most basic aspects of communication) and they have and are paying for it.

    Its like a quarterback, he controls 1 aspect out of 30 of the game but if the team is loosing he takes 99% of the blame.
    He controls NOTHING. He reports directly to Chilten and Morhaime who are his superiors. Nothing gets done in Wow without their go ahead.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by jax View Post
    Maybe you should stop looking up Latin terms and try a bit of reading comprehension. No where did I blame him and say... "therefore its his fault."
    I said he was the front man and like all front men he is tied to the success or failure of the situation in question.



    No one said he was the quarterback... it was an analogy...

    analogy [(uh- nal -uh-jee)]

    A comparison of two different things that are alike in some way.

    See how that works... again spend more time in English class instead of looking up old terms to appear smart and you may have figured it out.
    Different: Lead designer and quarterback
    Same in some way: Take the brunt of the blame even though its not solely their fault

    I realize these are the forums but try just a bit harder to not be an ass and try comprehend at least the basics of what people are saying instead of just spitting out unintelligible tripe because you saw it on a web site and thought the saying was cool.
    Ok pumpkin?
    Oh I think we all get what people are saying in these forums and in this thread specifically. That doesn't change the fact most of them are some of the most uneducated, spiteful, hateful whiny condescending jackasses I have ever seen on the internet in my entire 20 years I have been online. No matter how much bile and vitriol you people spew it doesn't change the fact that GC can only do what the GAME DIRECTOR tells him to do. You do know what a game director is don't you? GC's boss. Really not a hard concept to grasp.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by diamount View Post
    He deserves neither of those things. People don't leave MMO's because of a meme dislike paraded in forums, which a fraction of the subscription base even post in. The reasons for WoW's decline has been discussed ad nauseam, and it's why EVE is the only western sub MMO to grow since it's launch 10 years ago.
    That is all well and good except for the fact these forums and the official forums have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that many players quit for a huge variety of reasons, many of them contradicting each other. There is no clear cut consensus on what is "wrong" with the game nor is there a consensus on how to "fix" the game. People need to just accept they aren't going to get away with pinning their pet issues on a single Blizzard employee without being called out for the ignorant blowhards they are.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Ghostcrawler is doing fine, but having 2 lead designers wouldn't hurt either x)
    Well good thing there are several lead designers already. Ghostcrawler is simply the lead systems designer with other employees heading up other aspects of the game.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucarocks92 View Post
    GC's first raid he brought to wow when he was lead designer was ToC need i say any more. Take into consideration the previous raid before he took over was Ulduar which is definitely in the top 5 raids of all time. The game has been going down hill since the day he took over, he would have been gone mid way through Cata if i was his boss.
    Again good thing GC is lead systems designer. He has nothing to do with developing raids. Good job in spotlighting how ignorant this player base is though. I don't think anyone who can't comprehend what his actual job is should even attempt discussing whether he is doing a good job or not.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadstone View Post
    The main argument in defense of GC is that he isn't responsible for the loss of subs? If the environment you do business in changes and your product becomes less attractive because of said changes, then to continue to be successful you need to modify your product to remain relevant. It's conjecture, but different decisions could have seen WoW continue to grow rather than decline. Sometimes the odds are against you, and you can still triumph. Fanboys act as if GC is defending the ALAMO.

    1. If Cata hadn't forced out players with less time/skill with overtuned heroics wouldn't we be in a different world right now?
    2. If MoP hadn't gated everything behind rep and taken away catch up gear wouldn't we be in a different world right now?
    3. If WoW's aging had been addressed with a migration to WoW2 wouldn't we be in a different world right now?

    People in positions of influence are supposed to get there on merit and stay there on merit, and when things stop working it's time to ~PACK IT UP~. It's nothing personal, it's just how life is. You cannot excuse those in control of a declining product/service/whatever. There's no excuse that you can make for repeated failures in business. You lose your job.
    Stating what GC's actual position is and what his actual responsibilities are isn't fanboyism. It is reality. Get over yourself. Wow is wildly successful even despite heavy subscription losses and has proven to shareholders it is sustainable long into the future. No one is going to get fired over sub losses. Sorry.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadstone View Post
    We're agreed that he isn't the only one to be held accountable. I wouldn't agree that there are "many" deciding the overall direction of the game. Being one of a handful of people responsible for decision making doesn't excuse him any more than the idea that WoW's decline was somehow inescapable.
    So why is all the hate and vitriol directed at Ghostcrawler? And don't even try claiming it is because he is the "face" of Blizzard and Wow because his superiors Chilten and Morhaime are just as well known as he is if not more so and they are actually far more responsible for the direction of the game than any lead designer. The simple fact of the matter is most of the people who bitch and whine about this game have no god damn idea what they are talking about and just attack any employee they see regardless of what their job function is in relation to whatever their complaint is.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadstone View Post
    I'd be happy to hear of a broad shake up of decision makers behind WoW. If WoW lost more subs as a result of bringing in a fresh team, then it'd be more like euthanasia than suicide, right? Seeing as WoW's current trend is toward demise.
    I know the haters can't wait for the day Blizzard falls to its knees in financial ruin for daring slight those who worship TBC as a religion but that day won't be coming anytime soon. Wow is going to be around for at least another decade if not longer.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadstone View Post
    GC/Blizz apologists out in full force.
    Sorry stating reality doesn't make anyone an apologist anymore than it makes them fanboys. Get the fuck over yourself.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    Well, I don't want him to be fired. Its just like he should not develop games at all. His knowledge of his own freaking game is miserable; and, though he of course is not only one dev in Blizz, he is obviously one of the people who make decisions. And face the truth: the decisions are horrible. Game is nowhere near balanced. Class favouritism is at the highest level. Overpowered class stacking went over Sunwell level. PvP is shit. Couple this with the crap he's pumping at people in his freaking Twitter - and it becomes obvious that he should go.
    And I'm not blaming him for "not his" mistakes. Class balance is clearly his job.
    Blizzard is hiring. Why don't you apply and show them how its done? Sadly most of you armchair developers probably aren't even qualified to be janitors for Blizzard much less develop games for them. I don't have a problem with those who disagree with GC but to claim he doesn't understand the game or any aspect of classes is incredibly arrogant to say and simply untrue.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadstone View Post
    I've seen GC use that very tactic, i.e. accusing players who question the direction of the game of having a selfish view. Considering the unequivocal decline of World of Warcraft I don't think it's fair to dismiss dissenting voices on the basis that they're jerks who simply want their own way.
    It absolutely is fair. Complaints on these forums and the official forums are constantly contradicting each other and have been ever since the day Wow went live. There is just no such thing as a consensus on what should be changed in this game and trying to invoke a majority just shows how weakly some people believe in their own opinions. If players can't let their opinions stand on their own merits why should anyone at Blizzard take them seriously?

  10. #490
    "Oh I think we all get what people are saying in these forums and in this thread specifically. That doesn't change the fact most of them are some of the most uneducated, spiteful, hateful whiny condescending jackasses I have ever seen on the internet in my entire 20 years I have been online."

    And despite the hatred that so many here direct at GC, his approval rating, at this time, is more than 3-1 in favor. In the US, no politician of either political party has anywhere NEAR those kinds of numbers. This poll has spoken: Good job Ghostcrawler

  11. #491
    Quote Originally Posted by twistedsista View Post
    i agree, his comments were rather crass.
    His comments were fine. He is a developer and it isn't his job to hold your hand and pander to you. When he posts in forums or on Twitter he is doing it for the purpose of gathering feedback and sometimes that process involves shutting down idiotic lines of thought. In fact most of the time when people accuse GC of being "arrogant" and "condescending" it is because they can't comprehend the fact that some of his questions and comments are phrased in such a way to get very specific targeted feedback and rather than provide that they fly off the handle and start carrying on like a spoiled brat. It is disgusting.

  12. #492
    No he isn't going to lose his position. What a stupid thread. MMO-C forums are so desperate for negativity these days.

  13. #493
    Quote Originally Posted by rebecca191 View Post
    For me it was the whole "you guys are just mad because we made healing harder" during Cata beta/live. Um. No. You just made healing "harder" in a stupid way (making heals very small and expensive while having raid bosses smack the raid with unavoidable AOE without giving any interesting mechanics for managing mana).
    He was right though. Maybe if healers had actually contributed more than whiny temper tantrums he would have had more to say and more importantly he would have possibly listened.

  14. #494
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    What on earth are you talking about? You do realize those 12 million subscribers weren't all the same people right? In fact Blizzard has stated more than once that there are at minimum at least 20 million people who have played Wow at one point or another. Wow has had substantial subscriber churn for its entire run and yes that includes the sacred and holy TBC that can do no wrong. Wow was the first and only mmo so far to actually hit market saturation and it was clear as day it wasn't going to be sustainable. Wrath launched with 11.5 million subscribers and stagnated for more than 2 years and only hit 12 million because of Wrath's launch in China shortly before Cata was released in NA/EU regions. The only reason subscriptions kept rising or at least stayed somewhat stable is because there were more people coming to the game than leaving it. That's it. Nothing more nothing less. It doesn't mean TBC was the holy grail of gaming any more than Wrath was. Both expansions saw many many many many different people coming and going despite both expansions being polar opposites of each other.

    There is absolutely nothing Blizzard could have done to prevent subscriber loss. They can't make people stay and they certainly can't get more customers because those are limited by the fact mmo gaming is a very niche market. It isn't like they are Mcdonalds and can post up a new commercial and create new customers. It just doesn't work that way. Anyone who was going to play Wow has played Wow. The game is old, the market has changed and more importantly the players have changed.

    - - - Updated - - -



    He controls NOTHING. He reports directly to Chilten and Morhaime who are his superiors. Nothing gets done in Wow without their go ahead.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Oh I think we all get what people are saying in these forums and in this thread specifically. That doesn't change the fact most of them are some of the most uneducated, spiteful, hateful whiny condescending jackasses I have ever seen on the internet in my entire 20 years I have been online. No matter how much bile and vitriol you people spew it doesn't change the fact that GC can only do what the GAME DIRECTOR tells him to do. You do know what a game director is don't you? GC's boss. Really not a hard concept to grasp.

    - - - Updated - - -



    That is all well and good except for the fact these forums and the official forums have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that many players quit for a huge variety of reasons, many of them contradicting each other. There is no clear cut consensus on what is "wrong" with the game nor is there a consensus on how to "fix" the game. People need to just accept they aren't going to get away with pinning their pet issues on a single Blizzard employee without being called out for the ignorant blowhards they are.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Well good thing there are several lead designers already. Ghostcrawler is simply the lead systems designer with other employees heading up other aspects of the game.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Again good thing GC is lead systems designer. He has nothing to do with developing raids. Good job in spotlighting how ignorant this player base is though. I don't think anyone who can't comprehend what his actual job is should even attempt discussing whether he is doing a good job or not.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Stating what GC's actual position is and what his actual responsibilities are isn't fanboyism. It is reality. Get over yourself. Wow is wildly successful even despite heavy subscription losses and has proven to shareholders it is sustainable long into the future. No one is going to get fired over sub losses. Sorry.

    - - - Updated - - -



    So why is all the hate and vitriol directed at Ghostcrawler? And don't even try claiming it is because he is the "face" of Blizzard and Wow because his superiors Chilten and Morhaime are just as well known as he is if not more so and they are actually far more responsible for the direction of the game than any lead designer. The simple fact of the matter is most of the people who bitch and whine about this game have no god damn idea what they are talking about and just attack any employee they see regardless of what their job function is in relation to whatever their complaint is.

    - - - Updated - - -



    I know the haters can't wait for the day Blizzard falls to its knees in financial ruin for daring slight those who worship TBC as a religion but that day won't be coming anytime soon. Wow is going to be around for at least another decade if not longer.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Sorry stating reality doesn't make anyone an apologist anymore than it makes them fanboys. Get the fuck over yourself.

    - - - Updated - - -



    Blizzard is hiring. Why don't you apply and show them how its done? Sadly most of you armchair developers probably aren't even qualified to be janitors for Blizzard much less develop games for them. I don't have a problem with those who disagree with GC but to claim he doesn't understand the game or any aspect of classes is incredibly arrogant to say and simply untrue.
    So then. The decline is sub is nothing to do with Blizzard policies or design its purely because the game is old. There is no point in advertising - its just doesn't work that way. There was no way of Blizzard to keep people or at least slow the loss by making a product rewarding and interesting because people have changed.
    You'd better ring Blizzard quick and tell them they are wasting their time.

    You bias is so bad you have resorted to posting utter nonsense.

  15. #495
    Quote Originally Posted by jbombard View Post
    Jay Wilson didn't have misfortune, that implies bad luck. Jay Wilson acted like a child and made inappropriate statements about someone in a public venue.
    And he didn't even get fired or disciplined in any way.

    GC on the other hand hasn't really done anything wrong. Sure the game seems to be making bad decision after bad decision after bad decision, but that isn't on GC. It is a team effort and we only see a teeny tiny fraction of the process. GC just gets a lot of hate because his comments are a little too honest for some people to handle.
    Actually the impetus of his comment about Brevik was the fact Brevik threw his own former employees under the bus and trashed them over D3. It had nothing to do with Jay Wilson himself being insulted it was the fact many D2 devs who worked on D3 were insulted. What Brevik did was far more unprofessional and uncalled for. In fact I'm certain the only reason Brevik did it was to hype up his new game because it wasn't getting enough attention on its own. Rather sickening really and I can't help but wonder if maybe Brevik and his Blizzard North crew fostered the terrible community D3 has now.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by glycerethe View Post
    He won't, you can tell from how cocky he is, I voted yes, but he won't. Never liked him, I hope nobodys at his bed when he dies.
    He isn't remotely cocky. I think you are projecting. And really? What the fuck is wrong with you? How does ANY game design decision warrant that kind of response?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    That's not how business works, you don't pat them on the back and say "oh well, you'll get it right next time" after they have lost a company hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue.

    I do agree with people who say that GC isn't at fault for a variety of things he is blamed for. It's hard to pinpoint who is making the bad decisions, but it is more than just one person.
    ATVI has been posting huge profits each and every quarter there have been subscriber losses. Shareholders are quite happy thank you very much. No one is getting fired.

  16. #496
    Well, for all I know, WoW is nowadays in better shape than, pretty much, always. Yeah, classic and TBC lovers, I mean it. And it also has the most features it has always had.

    And Flex is actually needed for the game. There is a huge gap between LFR and Normal that too many people can't cross. Flex will do what LFR was suposed to, but failed... Be the replacement for popular 10 man raiding from WOLK era. Meaning, easier and relaxed guild and organized raiding. LFR is not guildy or organized and Normal is not easy or relaxed.

    So I don't see why anyone should be fired. For amking the game the best it has always been? Oh, please.

  17. #497
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    Men in much more important positions than lead systems designer were morons throughout history. That is not really an argument to assume that just because a person occupies a post, that person is qualified to occupy that post. When your subscriptions go from all time high of 12,500,000 to 7,700,000 you have to be responsible. Blaming player fatigue is lame and masks the real issue. Cataclysm could have been a lot worse if not for annual pass and scroll of resurrection. Those were desperate measures and allowed Blizzard to stop the bleeding temporarily until MOP arrived. When people got a taste of MOP the bleeding continued and accelerated.

    Even as far as player relations go, GC is horrible. His tweets mocking this thread underscore it even more.
    I like how people accuse GC of being arrogant and then say moronic crap like this. Hypocrite much? If GC mocks player it is because they deserve it. If Blizzard was unhappy with ANY of his comments he would stop making them. They are clearly 100% supporting him and everything he does and says. Let the implications of that sink in a little bit.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    WoW became a great game and industry leader well before GC showed up on the scene. Comparing it to other games is moot. Industry leader should not have collapsing subscriptions it is that simple. Blizzard made other mistakes as well which are beyond GC's control. If I am a new player and want to get started I have to buy Classic+BC+Wotlk Battle Chest and Stack Cata+MOP on top of it. That is for a "9 year old game" as you say. Blizzard resisted merging servers for the longest time and even now is getting ready to do it in its own way. Blizzard never wanted to merge servers not because of any technical problems (numerous other games managed it just fine) but because merging servers would have sent the signal that the game is in trouble. Well the game is in trouble.

    N.B I would have never gotten my TLPD in Wrath or Grey Camel in Cata had CRZ's been implemented back then.
    Blah blah blah blah blah. Do you people ever have anything new and original to say? As far as cross realm zones go, Wow is an mmo and players being around you is intended just as competition is intended. Get over it. More importantly what does this have to do with GC? Are you implying he had anything to do with its development?

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    I read the whole thread, every single page and every single post. It is not "unaligned hatred", it is documented instances when GC had to reverse his smug self after his ideas blew up in his face.
    I might give a fuck if you weren't being smug yourself.

  18. #498
    insipid topic is insipid.

    Whats with a lot of topics recently?

    might as well make topics like "how badly shall blizzard go bankrupt?" "how horrible will be the riots when titan bombs?" "how many blackholes will rip through reality when WoW goes FTP?" "will blizz medically compensate us for the trauma of the next awful expansion?"

  19. #499
    Quote Originally Posted by NigelGurney View Post
    So then. The decline is sub is nothing to do with Blizzard policies or design its purely because the game is old. There is no point in advertising - its just doesn't work that way. There was no way of Blizzard to keep people or at least slow the loss by making a product rewarding and interesting because people have changed.
    You'd better ring Blizzard quick and tell them they are wasting their time.

    You bias is so bad you have resorted to posting utter nonsense.
    It's not really crazy to look at everything and think that "if the just do x, y and z..." isn't going to bring subscriber levels back to anywhere near where they were at their peak.

  20. #500
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBalkoth View Post
    Who said I don't play anymore? I do play, even before that I paid off my annual pass. My contempt for MOP has not changed though. I consider it to be a failed expansion on many different levels and can't wait to see if another expansion can actually be interesting lore wise.
    Why can't you people quit the game and move on? There is ZERO reason to continue playing a game when you yourself have said you have contempt for it. Most of you whiners have completely lost touch with reality.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Why is it failed. Because it slowed the subscriber loss after Cataclysm?

    Honestly, the subscriber loss after Wrath was always coming. Wrath was the peak for the game. Blizzard fucked up royally during Cata and they lost more subscribers than they should have.

    This is where opinions differ, but when it comes to lore and MoP I think most people who hold contempt for Mists just hold it because they can't look past the Pandaren.

    Mists' story is some of the best story telling that has been implemented in the game since Wrath. I haven't been this interested since I first stepped foot into Borean Tundra.
    Anyone who was paying attention and noticed the 2 year stagnation of subscriptions during Wrath knew huge losses were coming. It should never have come as a surprise to anyone.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Trogie View Post
    But Cata dungeons were never hard. Only people who are terrible at the game think they were. Which sadly is a large portion of the player base.

    I can't bring my self to do dungeons anymore. They are too easy and boring and content like that make me stop playing.
    LFD couldn't guarantee the appropriate group composition nor could they even guarantee those classes even having the right spec to handle those dungeons. It wasn't that players were bad it was the fact those dungeons were designed for premade groups not pugs.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Toadstone View Post
    That is really interesting. I don't know that it's possible to bully Ghostcrawler. If anything, I think GC has done his own share of bullying, especially when he has the opportunity to feel intellectually superior. So you'll have to excuse me if I don't feel sorry for him. However, I do agree that in a lot of cases the abuse of video game developers goes much too far. Vesseblah, I think you're a supporter of Ghostcrawler and a more challenging version of WoW? It's important to remember that it was fan "bullying" that caused the successful Wrath model to be abandoned.
    GC has bullied no one. Again his job is to develop the game not hold your hand. If you wants certain feedback and notices certain lines of thought are preventing that he is going to shut it down immediately and get things back on track. People need to stop being butthurt over it and learn respect is a two way street. None of the harassment, insults and death threats against GC is justified and trying to defend it speaks volume about your own lack of character.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Vulcanasm View Post
    Although I agree strongly that GC gets lots of harassment -- and I've been trying not to scapegoat him, these days, for that reason -- he's volleyed some pretty barbed insults at players who pointed out inconsistencies in design policy. The most notorious example is referenced on this page: His post defending Cataclysm dungeon difficulty (this was roughly when I left Cata, i.e. Jan 2011). It was a thinly veiled "learn to play" dismissal at a player who said LFG was too hard -- and a pretty sad one, considering Cata dungeons were tuned so poorly in 4.0 that a single idiot could wreck them with 4 good players compensating.

    (edit) To be clear, I'm not trying to justify the harassment he gets. I am trying to say that no one should claim he's totally innocent of insulting and/or bad behavior.
    The thing is though he isn't inconsistent or at least not to the extent people claim. Case in point someone whined that the Readiness nerf for hunters made them feel less effective in certain situations and GC had to point out and remind them that was the entire point of the change. Maybe if players put a little thought into what GC says he would seem less "inconsistent". In all honesty many of the people attempting to discuss class balance with GC have extremely limited understanding of the issues involved and probably shouldn't even attempt to contribute because all they do is muddy the waters and perpetuate ignorance and misinformation. Again case in point, all the hunter QQ on the PTR forums.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    It most certainly did not and my hope is that the developers come to this conclusion as well. I remember towards the end of cataclysm just before mists came out their was a podcast interview with ghostcrawler where he basically spent the entire interview trash talking cataclysm and maintaining that "they got it" now and mists was the result of them "getting it". Mists is a COLOSSAL failure.
    Disliking design decisions doesn't make anything a failure. Mop addressed much of what people have complained about for years. Sorry you are still so butthurt over it.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Inokungfu View Post
    I would love to know how many people who voted "no" has someone paying their subscription for them and how many that voted "yes" pays for their own subscription.
    Overall there have been great ideas in the last few expansions and there have been a lot of disappointment. I don't know what the right answer is but I miss a certain maturity, intelligence and sense of community that was the atmosphere of vanilla. The current content appeals to the instant gratification crowd. I don't think there's longevity in that direction.
    I think changes are going to happen and GC will be a part of that change.
    It is none of your fucking god damn business. Are you seriously implying only people who pay for their own subscription are the only ones who opinion matters? Who the fuck do you think you are? If this community has declined it is because of people like YOU.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •