View Poll Results: Should Ghostcrawler be replaced as Lead Systems Designer?

Voters
2314. This poll is closed
  • Yes

526 22.73%
  • No

1,788 77.27%
Page 9 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I admire him for sticking it out and dealing with crap like this thread from the WoW community. I also admire him for not caving to everysingle whiner in the community and ruining the game even more.

He's done good things to this game, not eveything he's done has been good, but without him I don't think WoW would have even half the sub numbers it does now and would probably have gone F2P.

What super terrible bad things has he done? next question.... if the things he's done are so super terribad...why are you still playing this game?

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Has he made mistakes? Yes. But who hasn't? Let he who has never sinned throw the first stone.

I don't always agree with the choices of his team, but I have always found him reasonable.

Looks like not many people here know exactly what a Systems Designer does, and would rather blame him for everything that happens to the game. I guess it's easier to cut the one head that sticks out... but he's just another Blizzard employee. Another one would take his place, and keep doing the same. He's not the one making most of the calls, but the one that executes them, and that voluntarily shares them with the community.

In some way, firing him would be like "killing the messenger". If you are unhappy with the direction of the game, you have to look further than that
    Last edited by Zardi; 2013-08-02 at 03:49 PM.

GC should man the f*ck up and do some drastic changes to outdated classes
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

He's got a lot thicker skin than probably anyone posting on this thread. He gets the majority of heat for any decision in the game, yet he remains transparent and communicates with players when able.

I don't like all of the things he does, but I find myself angrier at small changes (i.e. cosmetics, glyphs) than anything that is a core feature of the game. But to be honest, I can't blame anyone but myself for getting excited about X feature on the PTR, knowing it may not go live. We'd all do better to remember that.

I don't see why he solely gets blamed for things. He's the Lead Systems Designer for World of Warcraft, which means he doesn't have anything to do with a lot of what people blame him for.

Either way, I don't mind him, personally, and I hope he doesn't lose his job ever. I don't think he would anyway.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

No. Even when I've really really disagreed with the team's choices I've respected him and the reason behind his efforts.

The only thing he should lose is his twitter account. IMO, he frequently comes across as a condescending ass.

To be fair, he's frequently dealing with spoiled children, so I suppose condescension is only natural.

10+ Year Old Account
    If nothing else, he deserves all the respect for putting himself in the line of fire taking purposely every heat one can get from the people.
    And at the end of the day, he's proven right times and again. Almost all the criticism against him is unwarranted. Most ammo fired against him is based on personal opinion, rather than well reasoned criticism. More than often it's just outright insult thrown out because it's just trendy to hate on him.
    Give that man valid reasons, explain your views and provide solutions that aren't based on anecdotal evidence, and you'll likely have a pretty good conversation about it with him.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Fired? Idk. When he talks about class changes, beta/ptr issues, etc it's VERY obvious he does not know what he is talking about sometimes. To the point that I'm sitting here scratching my head saying, "Wtf? Does this guy play this game at all?". Then occasionally he'll say something that makes sense.

I don't think he's ignorant per se, just that his knowledge base of the game/technical issues is very very limited in certain areas and that is troubling for a man that has a relatively prominent position/is the PR face of Blizzard.

He needs to cut his Twitter time back and spend more time actually playing, his Sunday night raiding just isn't cutting it.

Only way they would replace GC is if he quits. Man has a really tedious and grueling job. You don't fire someone with that kind of fortitude.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    To be fair, Torchlight 2 is an indie game that doesn't have a ridiculously popular brand name. If it wasn't for the "Diablo" in Diablo 3 the game would not have sold well at all. Marketing a game with a highly respected brand name is a lot easier then a little known dungeon crawler. Also it doesn't hurt that the developer is also one of the popular in the world. Its why Bioware made an MMO about Star Wars and not Mass Effect.
    Except Diablo 3 has continued to sell well over a year later. A recognized name of a crappy game wouldn't continue selling after all the poor reviews. Torchlight 2 had lots of marketing as well as Steam but they missed the boat on releasing it on consoles again.

he cares about the game. i dont want him to loose his job.
    but i think he should address balacing problems that annoying alot players in the game which he doesnt do well

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post

The other thing is that Blizzard is a company which just wants to maximize profits, as all companies do.
    We are seeing a decline in subs and with this, in income for quite a while now.
    True, true and very false. Completely off topic, but do a little research before making claims. Blizzard income has not been dropping 'for quite a while now', in fact income is still increasing at ~5%

What THIS has to do with Greg Street and his job, is beyond me, however. Generally these issues are laid at the feet of those much higher in the food chain than him!

I actually like GC, always have. He's reasonable enough and pretty fair at explaining things.

Regardless, with the precipitous drop in subs... how does the lead designer keep his job?

It's not like there are killer mmo's leeching away at the base as competition...

So... pretty much if your "lead" anything in wow, you probably ought be let go.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    I actually like GC, always have. He's reasonable enough and pretty fair at explaining things.

Regardless, with the precipitous drop in subs... how does the lead designer keep his job?

It's not like there are killer mmo's leeching away at the base as competition...

So... pretty much if your "lead" anything in wow, you probably ought be let go.
    Because Blizz knows that WoW's day in the sun has passed. And they know that no matter what they do, they're going to lose subs. So getting rid of someone who is good at their job just because of sub loss isn't the wisest course of action.

I can remember one of the worst stuff he said considering healing balance at least.

it was something along these lines:
    You can't check the meters on who is the best performing healers, a lot of factors balance into this, f.ex. tranquility for resto druids (at the time the worse healer) is giving massive output while disc priest's (at the time the best performing healer, what meters showed at least.) PW: barrier is not showing on the meters.

I still don't get it, why would he use an example to make it so obvious how underbalanced druids were when tranquility was parts of their healing, and disc priests with a cooldown on par with tranquility or even better, could outperform the healing done by a resto druid even when resto druids have a major CD affect their healing done.

I would put part of the blame on metzen and chris for the lore. I'd get rid of all 3 of them.

I think WoW losing subs was inevitable, it's an old game.

The question is, are the changes Blizzard making slowing down the sub loss or speeding it up?

As long as he remains it's clear Blizzard thinks they are doing their best to slow the loss so they are pleased.

Whether or not that's true is debateable.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    If people think that GC and Blizzard are doing a bad job with WoW because of falling sub numbers, just look at what happened to SWTOR. That game was designed exactly like how some people here want WoW to be designed. No LFR, no shortcuts, grinding leveling, etc. That game came out and fell flat on its face.
    To be fair, most people I knew didn't mind the grinding and lack of automatic grouping. They hated the lack of end-game content, and to some extent some people got tired of the voice overs.