View Poll Results: Should Ghostcrawler be replaced as Lead Systems Designer?

Voters
2314. This poll is closed
  • Yes

526 22.73%
  • No

1,788 77.27%
Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    He should be fired. The state of PVP is actually disgusting right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malgru View Post
    He should be fired. The state of PVP is actually disgusting right now.
    You didn't read any of the posts in this thread, right? Or just the negative ones, selectively?
    GC doesn't do PvP - they have other dudes for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post
    You didn't read any of the posts in this thread, right? Or just the negative ones, selectively?
    Well, he DOES head the team that does stats and talents and class design, which definitely does affect PvP.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

PvP dudes need to get cracking though...there's so many things Blizzard can do with wow pvp that haven't even been tapped into yet, some sort of bounty system on pvp servers being just one of those things.

10+ Year Old Account
    Over the years I've been pretty critical of him. This said however I will say that aside from a few individual spats with him, I prefer to take a longer view of the game. The game is greater than any individual and while I dislike concepts like CRZ I can see why they were implemented. Most of the things he does and says are well reasoned, and he has the guts to tell off people who are being stupid to not be stupid. For this and his efforts at Class Balance which are almost ALWAYS taken out of context by mouthbreathers "Leveraging for nerfs / buffs" as Tseric would of said, I think he's doing well.

The real problem is that people rage that he isn't a servile whimpering yes-man that does what they want, rather than what the game needs and so like broken records, they make "FIRE GC!11!!" Threads, never realizing that in the end. They are expendable. People like Xanzul who behave as attack dogs do him a disservice, as they make him appear to be an authoritarian asshole, and having met him IRL at one point. He's far from that.

Maybe some will say WoW's decline is his doing, and maybe it is to a point. Yet the petulant dip-shits will quit regardless, and blame him. More and more will come in and the cycle will repeat. So it goes.

The end of the discussion though is the Game is almost a Decade old, and the community sucks. So kudos to him for staying sane.
    Last edited by The Penguin; 2013-08-06 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    GC isn't responsible for everything in game

Stop bashing him for everything wrong with the game
    thats right. gc isnt the one to blame. its KALGAN who is to blame for messing everything up! get rid of him and watch everything get better again over time.

- - - Updated - - -

yes and the pvptard is kalgan. fool dont know how to code or balance.

Whoever will lose his position doesn't matter for as long as it will fix at least some of WoW problems.
    The game is greater than any individual and while I dislike concepts like CRZ I can see why they were implemented.
    Even though I heavily dislike GC, but CRZ has nothing to do with him. It was financial department, who pointed out easy savings on expenses (as CRZ allows to cut expenses on hardware by around 80% - that's quite significant cut). It was more than obvious that CRZ wouldn't benefit any player. In this case GC was just messenger and nothing depended from him.
    People like Xanzul who behave as attack dogs do him a disservice, as they make him appear to be an authoritarian asshole, and having met him IRL at one point.
    There are rumors flying around that Xanzul is GC in disguise.
    Last edited by Ferocity; 2013-08-07 at 05:44 AM.

I rather like how open GC is and how he explains why they do such and such things. As an interface with players, I think he's quite good.
    I also tend to feel for him when he's facing knee-jerk reactions from many in the community, and that much of the hostility he's confronted to is misplaced.

But I think he fails hard when it comes to making the game "good". I'm not sure if it's because of "him" or because he's been instructed to follow bad guidelines, but since he's been lead designer, the game has consistently went in the wrong direction.

He also lost my respect considerably with his flip-flopping, making a big deal of things and defining them as core design philosophy point, just to make a 180° in short order. This made him look very insincere and unreliable.
    Additionnally, he felt very out of touch with the real state of the game (I'll remember all my gaming life how he tried to argue that WotLK "heroics" were not facerolls at the beginning, despite people clearing them in quest greens, and how AoE weren't overpowered and "you could not AoE Vezaxx trash before overgearing the instance", despite even non-HM guilds doing just that at the time.

As such, as "lead designer", the guy in charge of giving the game direction, he's in my eyes a complete failure, and should be replaced.
    Last edited by Akka; 2013-08-07 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Akka View Post
    I rather like how open GC is and how he explains why they do such and such things. As an interface with players, I think he's quite good.
    I also tend to feel for him when he's facing knee-jerk reactions from many in the community, and that much of the hostility he's confronted to is misplaced.

But I think he fails hard when it comes to making the game "good". I'm not sure if it's because of "him" or because he's been instructed to follow bad guidelines, but since he's been lead designer, the game has consistently went in the wrong direction.

He also lost my respect considerably with his flip-flopping, making a big deal of things and defining them as core design philosophy point, just to make a 180° in short order. This made him look very insincere and unreliable.
    Additionnally, he felt very out of touch with the real state of the game (I'll remember all my gaming life how he tried to argue that WotLK "heroics" were not facerolls at the beginning, despite people clearing them in quest greens, and how AoE weren't overpowered and "you could not AoE Vezaxx trash before overgearing the instance", despite even non-HM guilds doing just that at the time.

As such, as "lead designer", the guy in charge of giving the game direction, he's in my eyes a complete failure, and should be replaced.

If he was a complete failure the game wouldn't have made it as far as it has under his rule.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    What is there really to say? People who dislike whatever change will blame him. Regardless whether that change was a benefit for other players or not.
    No matter who's the lead designer, no matter what the WoW team does, there will be players raging at him or her for "leading the game in the wrong direction"

The only difference is whether YOU agrees with the change or not. If GC does something YOU agree with, there will still be angry mobs on his twitter. Difference being, YOU are now silent.

"If you're doing things right, people will think you've done nothing at all."
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

10+ Year Old Account
    Greg is doing a terrific job of being Blizzards scarecrow.
    I don't think he will go anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by tehdef View Post
    Holy shit, look at what it is. An opinion being presented as solid fact.

Please, tell me how you manage to be such a self important fool that you would take presumptions and try to shove them off as empirical data and evidence? Please, I would like to know the secrets so I can also behave in such a manner in the future.
    A post begins with: "This kind of thread is, in my opinion..." And what you get out of it is that it's an opinion presented as fact. I honestly don't know if you are taking the piss, or just fail so miserably at reading comprehension. Or maybe it's just typical bad manners from yet another "keyboard warrior" searching frantically for an excuse to unleash his "digital wrath." If that is the case I hope you at least let some steam out.
    Last edited by Drithien; 2013-08-07 at 11:21 AM.

Deleted
    He's too shit to lose his position. Bad things don't happen to bad people.

LOL at thread.
    Seriously you should never wish any man ever to loose his job regardless how much you hate them.
    Should be privileged that the game is still going otherwise you would be on a different mmo forum wishing some other lead dev be sacked....
    Personally id like to meet the whole team maybe have a pint with em shake some hands, see how its all put together at the main HQ.
    However shit you may think the game is....your all still logging on!!
    Hats off to them all.

Without the changes WoW would now be at 4 million subs or less. The game is VERY OLD and it's a miracle that millions still play it. LFR and other changes made that possible. Why do all people think WoW would be better if they did not change it? Loot at other MMOs in the past that did not change - their subs dropped in 1-2 years 80%!
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

Game is old and there are lots of other games out there. No matter what changes are made it's gradually going to lose subs... That's just the way it is. Whoever they hired the game would lose subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Wokopoly View Post
    If he was a complete failure the game wouldn't have made it as far as it has under his rule.
    Frank Pearce and Tom Chilton are the guys who make big decisions like "make it easier", GC is just one of the guys who does what their bosses ask for, and is the semi-official PR guy for the development team (not whole company).
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Fullmetal89 View Post
    This isn't a thread to bash the guy, for better or worse I think he's done a great job. Its just that for the last two expansions the game has been bleeding subs by the millions. Now I know that WoW is aging and people are just not that interested in it anymore but in the world of business all that matters is how much profit you can make for the company. So way I see it, those last two expansions are like poor performance reviews for GC. He seems to be out of touch with the game as of late. The stuff he said about hunter utility I found to be kind of ridiculous and the inclusion of Flex Raiding seems like a cop out for lack of catch-up content. I don't think they would or should flat out fire the guy but I do think its time for someone else to take the lead. Let GC work below this person advising them. I would argue the same thing about Chris Metzen. Seems the guy can't be reasoned with and everything he says goes, lore-wise.

EDIT: I never wrote that he has the sole responsibility of the game therefore sub losses are all his fault. Apparently I wasn't clear enough, what I am trying to say is that he has a leadership position therefore if the game performs badly he is partly to blame. Of course he isn't in charge of everything but the truth is that companies always look at who's in charge whenever they are losing money. Of course this can be applied to Tom Chilton or anybody else in Blizzard. Also he isn't infallible he's adapted a lot of poorly developed ideas into the game over the years which have eventually been either completely removed or broken other aspects of the game.
    Except that revenues and profits are still high and growing so whether or not players like him are moot. Until they start losing money I believe his job is safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Wokopoly View Post
    Two answers to that :

1) I see him as a complete failure on the gaming fun point of view, not the marketting crap. Even if WoW had 25 millions subscribers today instead of less than a third of that, it would still be a pile of steaming shit compared to what it was before GC.

2) In any case, the game doesn't look it's going great right now even when it comes to subscriptions, so even for that my case still stands.

OK, so it was Rob Pardo speaking in an interview for WoW's fifth anniversary when he said that the total subscriber base was between 2 and 3 times the current subscriber base (11.5 million).

So there we have it, somewhere close to 30 million total subscriber base in November 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Don't confuse depth with complexity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI4Gs9Gt2Iw
    You're right, I meant complexity.
    AND depth.
    I guess I lumped those into the same category on accident.

Sunwell is great example because people it's also often repeated here that it was the best raid ever. There were plenty of things wrong with it that people tend to gloss over with nostalgia goggles, like for example the chain potting and the farming requirements to support it.
    But how would the average whiner know about those things if less than 1% of the playerbase actual raided SWP during its relevance?
    I know every player on this forum says they did, but I have to believe the actual number is much, much lower.
    Last edited by Destruktion; 2013-08-07 at 02:07 PM.