View Poll Results: Should Ghostcrawler be replaced as Lead Systems Designer?

Voters
2314. This poll is closed
  • Yes

526 22.73%
  • No

1,788 77.27%
Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Huh...title to the thread and poll are different. No, I don't think he'll lose his position.

Damn people saying he should be fired.
    Tell me a single thing he did that was wrong for everyone.

I'm happy he doesn't listen to a bunch of whinny kids that are never happy.
    Like those angry pvp players crying h24 because they're bad and need to vent, tweeting him" how he sucks at designing the game and at balancing classes."
    Or those players complaining about "rep grind". Those guys have no idea what rep grind is.
    Vanilla , BC were ALL about grind , there was nothing else to do and it took a LOT of time compared to now. Yet they say vanilla and BC were better even though they apparently never played it.

Mop is great, content wise it s by far the best expansion . PvP was never that balanced and PvE has never been that good.
    There's 8m players in the damn world. Indeed he can't make everyone happy but he's doing a great job.
    So chill and give him a rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    Ghostcrawler is doing fine, but having 2 lead designers wouldn't hurt either x)
    GC is the lead designer of game mechanics related to classes, specs, races, talents, spells and all of that shit. Nothing more, nothing less. He has done his own job actually pretty well, as I douby anybody in his right mind would say the game balance is worse today than five years ago.

There are plenty of other lead designers for quests, instances, lore, art, sound etc. And there's at least two people above GC in hierarchy when it comes to decision making in WoW, Frank Pearce who is credited as Executive Producer and Tom Chilton (Game Director).
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    GC's first raid he brought to wow when he was lead designer was ToC need i say any more. Take into consideration the previous raid before he took over was Ulduar which is definitely in the top 5 raids of all time. The game has been going down hill since the day he took over, he would have been gone mid way through Cata if i was his boss.

Deleted
    I really hope he doesn't, always found him to be a very valuable member of the Wow team. Actually find this thread quite offending.

However, I have to say this, the game suffers immeasurably from the current talent tree, it's an abomination. The talent tree in vanilla was superb. Christ why did they take so many great things away? It's not nostalgia (why people miss vanilla) - it's that we loved the game so much then and were robbed of *features* that made the game great and were given new features that completely made the game worse and

we had no say in it?

WTF.

Blizzard. Stop. Killing. Game.

What I would love about vanilla,

Go into work 'hey I am going to swim up coast in x and see where i arrive, then see a group of players and hang out.'

My realm is dead. As Horde I saw an alliance player maybe once a week.

I play on a PVP server.

There is nothing PVP about a realm that has 97% horde.

Also, even if you balance realms and make this new change. We don't have any reason to go the world. you know, the title of the game, world of warcraft. You just sit in a city, push a button, lfd, lfr.. jesus.

Blizzard made a world that is up there with Game of Thrones, Tolkien, and we all know it, it's truly magical and strong lore, hence why the game is alive today but in last 3-4 years, Blizzard forget one thing:

We don't live in your new creations. We just push buttons mostly from capital cities you made in 2004. It's not us that are bathed in nostalgia, it's you forcing us to mc-donalds through your bad stuff.

BTW the collector's WOTLK was good. I didn't love that exp as we were made to stand in dala after and ignore the whole amazing land they made but jesus blizz, after wotlk stuff started to dive,

and you know what, if you are still reading, this is when Titan started.

And they dumped it and now we have the best blizzcon wow ever coming.

You will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucarocks92 View Post
    GC's first raid he brought to wow when he was lead designer was ToC need i say any more.
    Yes you need to say more because that's one of the more idiotic arguments in this thread.

GC does not design raids and never has. Not ToC nor anything else. He works on class balance, not instances.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

The problem here is that every player has their own opinion on the state of the game, ultimately it isn't Ghostcrawlers fault if some players hate the game, he is not responsible for everything which people need to understand.

People outright blaming him for their precious game being ruined are idiotic and trying to point the finger at someone because time has moved on and the MMO landscape has changed.

Personally I feel that most of GC's ideas are pretty solid. At least I'm assuming the ones he sometimes discusses on Twitter and in interviews are his, and not just him stating an opinion all the designers mull over together. Most of the problems I find in WOW aren't from changing class rotations or anything like that, but from different aspects of the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    MoP >> TBC.

Yeah, I said it.
    And I agreed. So shoot me.

If GC loses his job, with almost all certainty the game will bleed a lot more.

Deleted
    I hope he will, he is just too old and bold ... we don!t need grandpas for such a high position.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by ImogEs View Post
    I hope he will, he is just too old and bold ... we don!t need grandpas for such a high position.
    Too old, too bold, and, last but not least, too bald! Let's fire this ugly individual for the good of everything that is sweet and beautiful ! <3 <3 <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Too old, too bold, and, last but not least, too bald! Let's fire this ugly individual for the good of everything that is sweet and beautiful ! <3 <3 <3
    You cut theWocky deep.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Quote Originally Posted by theWocky View Post
    You cut theWocky deep.
    Oh well well, not intended sir. My humble apologize. *bow*
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    MoP >> TBC.

Yeah, I said it.
    I'm not sure I agree that MoP was overall better than BC, but I think it was overall better than Cata (surprise, surprise) and probably Wrath too. The world design in MoP was far better than anything since BC. Both Wrath and especially Cata felt rather hollow to me, like there were no more secrets, surprises, or even really much care put into designing the world. That said, I always understood that GC was more responsible for class design and mechanics, basically "the rules" of the game than setting, art, look and feel, etc.

And I class and game mechanics is one are where I can't say MoP was good. There are a few good things in there (I do love the warlock changes), but I loathe the gutted talent trees with a passion, and find very little else in the MoP changes to be insipiring. Under GC, we've seen how development keeps chopping out a stat here, a talent there until the gameplay of the game (not the setting, story, or art) is both different and (imnsho) less than it once was.
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Yap !_! must be fired and replaced with a hottie pinky pony .

Quote Originally Posted by ImogEs View Post
    Yap !_! must be fired and replaced with a hottie pinky pony .
    *waits patiently for someone to photoshop GC's head onto Pinkie Pie; or alternatively, random pictures of Putin riding a bear*

Deleted
    The main argument in defense of GC is that he isn't responsible for the loss of subs? If the environment you do business in changes and your product becomes less attractive because of said changes, then to continue to be successful you need to modify your product to remain relevant. It's conjecture, but different decisions could have seen WoW continue to grow rather than decline. Sometimes the odds are against you, and you can still triumph. Fanboys act as if GC is defending the ALAMO.

1. If Cata hadn't forced out players with less time/skill with overtuned heroics wouldn't we be in a different world right now?
    2. If MoP hadn't gated everything behind rep and taken away catch up gear wouldn't we be in a different world right now?
    3. If WoW's aging had been addressed with a migration to WoW2 wouldn't we be in a different world right now?

People in positions of influence are supposed to get there on merit and stay there on merit, and when things stop working it's time to ~PACK IT UP~. It's nothing personal, it's just how life is. You cannot excuse those in control of a declining product/service/whatever. There's no excuse that you can make for repeated failures in business. You lose your job.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstone View Post
    The main argument in defense of GC is that he isn't responsible for the loss of subs?
    Yes, that's right, because GC isn't calling the shots. He's just the one guy out of team of many who has dared to put his face out in the public.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    GC isn't calling the shots. He's just the one guy out of team of many who has dared to put his face out in the public.
    We're agreed that he isn't the only one to be held accountable. I wouldn't agree that there are "many" deciding the overall direction of the game. Being one of a handful of people responsible for decision making doesn't excuse him any more than the idea that WoW's decline was somehow inescapable.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadstone View Post
    The main argument in defense of GC is that he isn't responsible for the loss of subs? If the environment you do business in changes and your product becomes less attractive because of said changes, then to continue to be successful you need to modify your product to remain relevant. It's conjecture, but different decisions could have seen WoW continue to grow rather than decline. Sometimes the odds are against you, and you can still triumph. Fanboys act as if GC is defending the ALAMO.

1. If Cata hadn't forced out players with less time/skill with overtuned heroics wouldn't we be in a different world right now?
    2. If MoP hadn't gated everything behind rep and taken away catch up gear wouldn't we be in a different world right now?
    3. If WoW's aging had been addressed with a migration to WoW2 wouldn't we be in a different world right now?

People in positions of influence are supposed to get there on merit and stay there on merit, and when things stop working it's time to ~PACK IT UP~. It's nothing personal, it's just how life is. You cannot excuse those in control of a declining product/service/whatever. There's no excuse that you can make for repeated failures in business. You lose your job.
    The problem with your argument is that GC hasn't been demonstrated to be responsible for any of those things.

So, either you're suggesting that GC be singled out because he's visible, not because he's responsible (which would be heinous of you), or you're suggesting that all devs at GC's level be removed (which would be suicidal for Blizzard).

If you want to make a case for removing GC, argue that something that he specifically is responsible for has seriously damaged the game.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"