Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Typos in the enGB client

    First of all, there are 2 English versions of the client:
    1) enGB - the British English version of the client, aimed towards the European market
    2) enUS - the American English version of the client, aimed towards the US market

    Oxford English is studied in most schools across Europe and the US spelling (center-centre; theater-theatre; color-colour, airplane-aeroplane; meter-metre; etc) is frowned upon and even considered a spelling mistake in exams and tests.

    The question is - why does the enGB version of the client use enUS language files? The children that are playing the game, especially the non-native speakers, can learn the 'wrong' spelling of the words. The native speakers in England generally frown upon non-british spelling in newspapers, magazines, books and even in forums and message boards. Why is WoW an exception?

    Most common typos in WoW:
    1) Honor. Honor, honor, honor everywhere. Valley of Honor. Honor Points. Honorable kills. Honor Hold. The correct UK English spelling is honour.
    2) Armor. Same as honor. Correct spelling: armour.
    3) Defense. Should be spelt as defence.
    4) Traveled, canceled. The correct spelling of the past tense of these words should be with double L: travelled, cancelled.


    I'm not here to bash the American English, I respect it and I personally spoke it in informal situations. However, in formal situations I'm required to use British English, otherwise I will sound silly to them.
    Last edited by nitrobg; 2013-08-03 at 01:45 PM.

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! Taftvalue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    somewhere in the desert
    Posts
    5,622
    because Blizzard is an american company and it's better
    You kill or you die. Or you die and you kill.
    Tell them only that the Lich King is dead and that World of Warcraft died with him.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    5) Raging - used in various spells, items and even NPCs. Should be spelt as rageing.
    This is wrong. Silent e is always dropped before a 'ing' suffix, and always has been.

    The rest is correct, though.
    There is only one thing that we say to the god of death.
    "Take Sean Bean instead."

  4. #4
    Dreadlord dawawe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Atl, Ga
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    First of all, there are 2 English versions of the client:
    1) enGB - the British English version of the client, aimed towards the European market
    2) enUS - the American English version of the client, aimed towards the US market

    Oxford English is studied in most schools across Europe and the US spelling (center-centre; theater-theatre; color-colour, airplane-aeroplane; meter-metre; etc) is frowned upon and even considered a spelling mistake in exams and tests.

    The question is - why does the enGB version of the client use enUS language files? The children that are playing the game, especially the non-native speakers, can learn the 'wrong' spelling of the words. The native speakers in England generally frown upon non-british spelling in newspapers, magazines, books and even in forums and message boards. Why is WoW an exception?

    Most common typos in WoW:
    1) Honor. Honor, honor, honor everywhere. Valley of Honor. Honor Points. Honorable kills. Honor Hold. The correct UK English spelling is honour.
    2) Armor. Same as honor. Correct spelling: armour.
    3) Defense. Should be spelt as defence.
    4) Traveled, canceled. The correct spelling of the past tense of these words should be with double L: travelled, cancelled.
    5) Raging - used in various spells, items and even NPCs. Should be spelt as rageing.


    I'm not here to bash the American English, I respect it and I personally spoke it in informal situations. However, in formal situations I'm required to use British English, otherwise I will sound silly to them.
    Gubment stoled all our "U"s
    Why read words when we can kill stuff the words tell us about?
    You have dreamed of death, you thought to escape it. Now, my little puppet, death is all you will ever know.
    NO ITEMS EEEVVVEEERRR!!!

  5. #5
    gaming isn't formal why moan about something that doesn't matter. Wasting money on translating to another version of english would mean they had to waste money on something no one (well beside you clearly) cares about.
    And clearly you have a problem or you wouldn't have brought it up since it doesn't matter and there are a lot of situations where the american version is right (programming uses american english) so why even bother wasting your time on this subject when there are so many other ways to start a nationalistic flame war (allthough those have ban potential).

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    because Blizzard is an american company and it's better
    This American company's software has and uses UK language files in this particular region.

    Quote Originally Posted by Deepstrider View Post
    This is wrong. Silent e is always dropped before a 'ing' suffix, and always has been.

    The rest is correct, though.
    Thanks for the correction, I've always thought that it follows the same pattern as the words ending in -able.

  7. #7
    To be fair I can forgive the use of american spelling inside the game itself, the use of it on their GB websites and in the EULA is pretty annoying though.

    Nothing to get upset about though and demand a change. Indeed American English is becoming more and more prevalent within the UK, whether it be spelling (see the changing of Sulphur to Sulfur) or just general americanisms.

  8. #8
    Dreadlord dawawe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Atl, Ga
    Posts
    870
    Quote Originally Posted by Norgaard View Post
    To be fair I can forgive the use of american spelling inside the game itself, the use of it on their GB websites and in the EULA is pretty annoying though.

    Nothing to get upset about though and demand a change. Indeed American English is becoming more and more prevalent within the UK, whether it be spelling (see the changing of Sulphur to Sulfur) or just general americanisms.
    this comes to mind

    Why read words when we can kill stuff the words tell us about?
    You have dreamed of death, you thought to escape it. Now, my little puppet, death is all you will ever know.
    NO ITEMS EEEVVVEEERRR!!!

  9. #9
    Because everyone in the EU uses the British way of spelling, right?

    As for Oxford English being teached across most schools in Europe; that is something I seriously doubt. American English doesn't have all that extra spelling that the British one does, such as honor becomes honour, for example. This makes it easier for kids to learn, and that was the main reason it was taught at my school. Due to the less grammar it makes it easier and faster for kids to learn. Myself I was taught the American way from my very first day at school, and in my opinion it is a lot better.

    To this day I don't even understand why the EU armory uses British spellings, especially considering the amount of American English users are probably a lot higher than those using British English, at least in the EU.

    As for American English using "wrong" spellings of the word... All I can say to that is that you should really consider getting off your high horse.

  10. #10
    Herald of the Titans FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    2,581
    In Danish schoold, you are taught Brittish English..

    However, if you consistantly can use American English, you are allowed to, and your grades will NOT suffer from it.
    If you, however, write Colour (with U) and Honor (without U), then you will be corrected, and grades will suffer.

    Since WoW consistantly use American English, I see no problem... It's also much easier for Blizzard NOT to mantain a second set of English language files, when the differences are as small as they are. It's not like it's a different language, and you're not able to understand it..

  11. #11
    Mechagnome Santoryu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Staples Center
    Posts
    620
    Sorry, but the worst spelling mistake is "dungeon's" instead of "dungeons" when referring to more than 1 dungeon.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Santoryu View Post
    Sorry, but the worst spelling mistake is "dungeon's" instead of "dungeons" when referring to more than 1 dungeon.
    I can see its something your finding annoying. That happens to me alot to. I must of learned how to deal with it
    There is only one thing that we say to the god of death.
    "Take Sean Bean instead."

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    In Danish schoold, you are taught Brittish English..

    However, if you consistantly can use American English, you are allowed to, and your grades will NOT suffer from it.
    If you, however, write Colour (with U) and Honor (without U), then you will be corrected, and grades will suffer.

    Since WoW consistantly use American English, I see no problem... It's also much easier for Blizzard NOT to mantain a second set of English language files, when the differences are as small as they are. It's not like it's a different language, and you're not able to understand it..
    The differences in the language files would be minimal. It's not like it's a different language, just some of the words have different spelling.

    In my case in school, I've got a reduced grade for using center instead of centre in an essay. Probably the teacher was too strict, I don't know.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhanken View Post
    To this day I don't even understand why the EU armory uses British spellings, especially considering the amount of American English users are probably a lot higher than those using British English, at least in the EU.

    As for American English using "wrong" spellings of the word... All I can say to that is that you should really consider getting off your high horse.
    EU ArmoUy doesn't use British, otherwise it would be called the Armoury, not the Armory. And its flagged as English (Europe) which is how it should be flagged, not English Great Britain, as the game is flagged.

    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    In Danish schoold, you are taught Brittish English..

    However, if you consistantly can use American English, you are allowed to, and your grades will NOT suffer from it.
    If you, however, write Colour (with U) and Honor (without U), then you will be corrected, and grades will suffer.

    Since WoW consistantly use American English, I see no problem... It's also much easier for Blizzard NOT to mantain a second set of English language files, when the differences are as small as they are. It's not like it's a different language, and you're not able to understand it..
    The Danish people I know have been taught Murican, same for Dutchies.

    That said, it doesn't make sense to have enGB that isn't actually an enGB localization. If you're gonna be lazy and not have it spelt right then don't pretend its a separate localization, just flag the Euro English client as enEU or something.
    Last edited by Xs; 2013-08-04 at 03:05 PM.

  15. #15
    Herald of the Titans FuxieDK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    København
    Posts
    2,581
    Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    EU ArmoUy doesn't use British, otherwise it would be called the Armoury, not the Armory. And its flagged as English (Europe) which is how it should be flagged, not English Great Britain, as the game is flagged.



    The Danish people I know have been taught Murican, same for Dutchies.

    That said, it doesn't make sense to have enGB that isn't actually an enGB localization. If you're gonna be lazy and not have it spelt right then don't pretend its a separate localization, just flag the Euro English client as enEU or something.
    I don't know what Murican is.. Never heard the term before.

    However, the official curriculum states that Brittish English is the language taught in Danish schools.

  16. #16
    what you say is correct is not correct, sorry but you are playing a game from the united states, that is how we spell, doesnt mean its wrong, what is wrong is you not realizing different countries spell things differently and none are incorrect
    you are a very self-centered and close-minded person, must suck to be you thinking you are right but actually you are wrong
    ignorance is bliss as they say, you must be the happiest man on the planet

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    First of all, there are 2 English versions of the client:
    1) enGB - the British English version of the client, aimed towards the European market
    2) enUS - the American English version of the client, aimed towards the US market
    This is certainly an interesting thought.

    But I believe there is something else we are missing. Perhaps they need to have the "enGB" client to give us slightly different EULA/ToS or stuff like that, besides the most obvious modification - connecting us to european servers.

    I believe that although it's called "enGB" for simplicity, following British English was never their goal. It's europeran client after all, not a british one. And common "european english" is much closer to US english than the UK one.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    Why is WoW an exception?
    It's really not worth bothering with going through all the strings and converting them from American to British English.

    Traditionally in the UK we've made do with American spellings for operating systems and programs. Those who live in the UK are completely used to seeing things like Favorites, Network Neighborhood, Honor, Valor etc. Indeed, it's only with Windows 8 that a British English language pack is available (and it's not the default either - my Windows 8 machine here is using the default American English spellings, with clocks etc set to European format).

    Bear in mind there's a generation of us in the UK who grew up with computers in the 80s,90s etc and we manage just fine with differentiating US and UK spellings. You just get used to seeing American spellings in programs (computer, as radio and TV have programmes) and British spellings in real life. I admit, though, it'd look odd to see words such as "color" and "airplane" in the papers, in magazines, on posters etc!
    Last edited by Retron; 2013-08-05 at 06:22 AM.

  19. #19
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,506
    Tbh in today's world with internet being dominated by English, it doesn't matter which English you use; UK or US.

    Both have their differences but all should easily understand both slight variations. English as a language in general is moving towards homogenization thanks to the Internet.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhanken View Post
    Because everyone in the EU uses the British way of spelling, right?

    As for Oxford English being teached across most schools in Europe; that is something I seriously doubt. American English ...
    We learn British English in Europe. Don't make assumption if you don't know shit. American english is what our 3 year olds speak.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •