View Poll Results: Should my meal be free?

Voters
165. This poll is closed
  • Yes

20 12.12%
  • No

145 87.88%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    The ONLY time I would consider that setup appropriate, is if he was going to lunch, you explained that you have no money (or at least no cash, or forgot your wallet, etc), and that he could get you some food at no extra cost to him. But that would be him doing you a favor and being nice. I'd see it no different than "hey can you spot me a couple bucks". I'm often friends with my co-workers, and this isn't a big deal. Of course, after this, I would expect him to never lend or favor you anything.

What you did was "Hey, I'm a mooch and a half, hook it up." I see an arena disband in the near future.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-08-01 at 09:16 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Split the check, you're getting the benefit of the coupon by only having to pay 50% and you come out of the deal still looking like a decent human being.

Asking the person to pay full price for theirs so you can get yours free is a total dick move.

I honestly don't see why one would get angry. I do find it humorous. We were going to eat there anyways. I used a coupon. The same cost was incurred to him. Nothing more. Technically the coupon would be my "money" to spend. Am I right? It would be my half of the bill.

Split the cost, you both get a half-price meal. Everyone wins. A little grace buys you more half-price lunches in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by NewportsDentarg View Post
    I honestly don't see why one would get angry. I do find it humorous. We were going to eat there anyways. I used a coupon. The same cost was incurred to him. Nothing more. Technically the coupon would be my "money" to spend. Am I right? It would be my half of the bill.
    There are 3 pages of people telling you exactly why it's wrong. I don't get why you would create a thread if you seriously weren't interested in any of the answers. This is just about as unanimous of a response as I have seen on MMO-Champ.
    Last edited by The Casualty; 2013-08-01 at 09:28 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm tall, and thin, with a bright red head but strike me once and I'm black instead...
    We were going to eat there anyways.
    The fact is that if you had told him about this in advance (as you should have) then he would not have agreed to it, and you'd have had to buy your own food full price. For you to spring it on him after the fact makes you the jerk. But I don't trust other people, as a general rule. It is because people like you exist that I always ask for separate checks whenever I eat out. Trying to divide up the check after the fact almost always seems to lead to little arguments like this. I avoid the issue altogether by buying my own meal and letting everyone else take care of theirs. It's a hassle for the sever, but it is just easier that way.

15+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, if we ordered and then you were like "Oh here's a coupon for my part and some extra for tax/whatever" that would be one thing. I might be a little miffed, but w/e.

But the fact that you were like "I HAVE A COUPON" like it's a plus for picking that place, and then you want to keep that plus all for yourself? I wouldn't tell you no, per se, because I am usually pretty non-confrontational (esp. with coworkers) but I'd certainly be more annoyed.

Point is, you could have played the card better and been not a jerk (or at least significantly less of one). As it is, you're both in the wrong (his meal enabled your coupon, he deserves at least partial kickback... even if it's not 50%) and a fair bit of a jerk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Why the hell would your co worker basically buy your cheap ass lunch then? I would have told you 2 things 1) no way in hell am I letting you eat for free cause I am paying. 2) Don't ever ask me to join you for lunch again

10+ Year Old Account
    So we decided on a place for lunch at work. I mistakenly said I had a coupon for a buy one get one. All of a sudden my coworker decided that the cost will be split and I do not get my free meal.

I said no. He called BS.

Should the lunch cost be split in because of the buy 1 get one coupon? Or should I get my lunch for free?
    you buy one and he gets one free, your coupon so youd have to buy one

10+ Year Old Account
    Split the cost.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    wait a second. That question has more possible answers.

Is it also a good friend?

Yes ----> split

Is it a co-worker you work with but have no further attachements..

Yes ----> go fuck yourself
    No -----> consider to share

Bottom line.... Unless it's a very good co-worker then he/she disqualifies themselves already by the demand.
    he/she could have asked whether you wanna share... He/she shouldn't ask, period if there's no further bond other than being just co-workers. But to decide? No way..
    It is not their place to decide over your benefits.

- - - Updated - - -

He could have paid for one, and took the second one home too..
    yeah but cheapskate here didn't. He expected to co worker to pay for his buy one, which is fucking dirty
    Last edited by vindicatorx; 2013-08-01 at 09:53 PM.

Your coupon said buy one get one free. As you point out it's your coupon so you are obligated to buy one. Since he's the one who bought one, well the free sandwich is his. When they handed him the other sandwich ( wich I'm sure they did since they generally care about who paid, not who cut the piece of paper out of the magazine) he should've walked off with it and thank you for the coupon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruargh
    I'm baffled that something this simple can be so hard for some people... I guess we can't blame blizzard for dumbing down the game any longer, because apparently it very much needed :

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically the coupon would be my "money" to spend. Am I right? It would be my half of the bill.
    No. He paid for the meal. He used the coupon. It was not your coupon, because he used it. So you are not 'right'.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... is it so hard to split the cost? -.- You're already only paying half of what you would have anyways, and so is he, so both of you can be happy.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Whoops, I totally misunderstood. WTB revote feature.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yeah... is it so hard to split the cost? -.- You're already only paying half of what you would have anyways, and so is he, so both of you can be happy.
    No way dude, his coupon represented an equal dollar amount (as it was redeemable for an equal meal) therefore representing his half of the cost incurred. This is basic couponing etiquette.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    And they could all have said, "Separate checks" and your coupon would have been worthless. The fact that you were piggy-backing off someone else's purchase is the only reason you could use the coupon. Therefore it is not "your free meal". If you had BOUGHT a meal, then you would have gotten a SECOND meal free. However, you did not buy a meal. Someone ELSE bought the meal, and you are freeloading off that purchase. Either split the cost, or buy two meals. That's your choice.

You're trying to have it both ways. You want someone else to activate the condition of your coupon, and yet you want 100% of the benefit of their decision to purchase a meal. That makes you the offender in the scenario, IMO.
    And that should pretty much be /thread. Excellent post, couldn´t have said it better myself so I am not going to try.

Deleted
    Spilt the cost or you are just the worst kind of person

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Split the cost.
    Are people really this tight? You'd still have gotten a half price meal.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Thiassi View Post
    You should have said you'd cover this one and he/she gets the next one. That way you still get your free meal (next time) and they don't feel like you are taking advantage of them.
    this is the answer