Poll: Is a death in your country more tragic to you than someone living in a different one?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Question Is a death in your country more tragic than someone living in another country to you?

Simple question: Is a death in another country to you equally as tragic as a death in your own country to you?
    The scenario is the person dying is a stranger to you and anyone you know. They are both innocent lives.

Whenever a tragedy takes place, one of the first questions people ask: Are my countrymen on it?
    I'm curious whether people value a stranger in their country more than a stranger in a different one.
    Last edited by Sole-Warrior; 2013-08-01 at 08:58 PM.

What makes it tragic are the circumstances of the death and any direct relationship you might have had with the deceased; country of origin is irrelevant.

Deleted
    No, stranger is stranger.

Deleted
    To me, no. To almost everyone else I know, yes. The first question I hear when a big accident happened (like the recent trainwreck) at work was if there was anyone from Belgium amongst them.

I think anyone who even brings up such a question a selfish douchebag at the point, even when my parents do it. I could understand if you knew somebody could be there that you knew, otherwise it shouldn't mather.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    To me, no. To almost everyone else I know, yes. The first question I hear when a big accident happened (like the recent trainwreck) at work was if there was anyone from Belgium amongst them.

I think anyone who even brings up such a question a selfish douchebag at the point, even when my parents do it. I could understand if you knew somebody could be there that you knew, otherwise it shouldn't mather.
    For me, if the Newton Massacre instead of hitting the United States took place in say England or Iraq, or South Africa, it would hit me equally as hard. Innocent life = innocent life regardless of geological location.

10+ Year Old Account
    Perhaps a little, but not much.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alasuya View Post
    For me, if the Newton Massacre instead of hitting the United States took place in say England or Iraq, or South Africa, it would hit me equally as hard. Innocent life = innocent life regardless of geological location.
    The most people I knew that react as I said are from the previous generation (+40). The younger generation tends to not care so much about origin of who died.

Atleast in Belgium that's how I expirience it.

I cannot imagine how a life in Africa is for someone who has AIDS or cancer and no money and no insurance. But I can imagine living a great deal of your life in hospitals, or visiting many doctors in my country. And it simply breaks even more down, I can even more relate to people from my town, because I know how the hospital looks like, they may be even treated by the same doctors as me. And if I hear someone died who went on the same school as me, it hits me even harder. Familiarity plays a big role in how I react emphatically.

So yes, for me I can definitely say I can more easily relate to someone "closer" to me, even though I might never seen him in my life.

10+ Year Old Account
    Both strangers? Equally "tragic" to me.

Deleted
    I think death is death and equally tragic,

but of course a death in your own country is a little bit more tragic because you live there

I always treat people the same, regardless of nationality. I never understood patriotism, and it's sad to see people treated differently because of it. For example, I couldn't enjoy the Wimbledon final this year because of the crowd's attitude. Apparently, someone who happens to speak their own language should be supported regardless, and the other one booed.
    Last edited by Piggo; 2013-08-01 at 09:55 PM.

Deleted
    Unless it's someone close to me personally, I don't view a death in my country any more tragic than anywhere else. Hell, I'd argue that there are things happening outside of my country that I consider much more tragic, but they're never even brought up in our news broadcasts.

I guess it depends on where you live, but death happen. Whether it happens in another country or across town. Truthfully, death doesn't affect me if it's in another country, it also doesn't affect me if it's in another state, or really in another part of the city where I live. It really only hits home if it's somehow a tragic death to someone very young, or even influential, or someone that I know, or effects someone that I know.

Realistically, someone could die 5 blocks down the road, and if I don't hear about it, it's not going to have any effect on me whatsoever.

But if you are asking something like, would the death of the president of the USA effect me more than the death of english pm, then I'd say yes. But then if you are asking if random john doe dies vs random john doe in france die, neither affect me.
    Last edited by anyaka21; 2013-08-01 at 10:13 PM.

Deleted
    I don't care about strangers at all, regardless of them being from my country or not. I'd probably be shocked to see someone die no matter from where he is from, but ultimately I will forget about it in 5 minutes.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are both irrelevant to me as the only precious life is my own.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Nope, but dependent on circumstance i may be more concerned about the repercussions of the death, how it affects the acts of society, security measures etc...

No, but I also don't really care if people die in my country unless I directly know them. I don't really get particularly sad about death, it happens to everyone, humans are incredibly easy to replace and hold very little value. It's more sad when animals die as far as I'm concerned.

10+ Year Old Account
    umm no 0o people die every second it's nothing new if you broke down when ever someone you didn't know died you would go insane within minutes 0o

The title could use some clarification. Also, don't lead off by asking a different question from the title question.

Yes, someone dying in my country is more tragic than someone living in another country. Someone dying in another country is also more tragic than someone living in mine.

Yes, a death in another country is as tragic as a death in my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    people die every second it's nothing new
    This is the reality of life.
    Last edited by Falcon537; 2013-08-01 at 11:21 PM.

I care about a death of someone in another country as I do someone in my own country and by care I mean I don't care. People die everyday. The only deaths that will ever affect me in any way are the deaths of family and close friends.
    Only the dead have seen the end of war. - George Santayana
    Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. - George Santayana