15+ Year Old Account

How much patching for a hard copy of the game?

I have been thinking of giving Rift a go, but there's one thing holding me back - due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm currently limited to prepaid internet.

For those not familiar with prepaid internet schemes in Australia - they're a complete rip-off. For the price you'd pay for a hundred gig per month on broadband, I get about 6gb. It sucks. But currently it can't be helped.

So naturally, I can't DDL games. I don't mind buying hard copies of non-console games, because they're cheap these days. What I am wary about though is how much initial patching I'd have to do with a storebought copy. Anyone able to give me a rough guess at how big it would be? What about patch sizes if I was to also get the expansion?
    (This signature was removed for violation of the Avatar & Signature Guidelines)

I don't know the exact size of the updates, but it's got to be close to 6GB, if not over it : /

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikkaszal View Post
    I have been thinking of giving Rift a go, but there's one thing holding me back - due to circumstances beyond my control, I'm currently limited to prepaid internet.

For those not familiar with prepaid internet schemes in Australia - they're a complete rip-off. For the price you'd pay for a hundred gig per month on broadband, I get about 6gb. It sucks. But currently it can't be helped.

So naturally, I can't DDL games. I don't mind buying hard copies of non-console games, because they're cheap these days. What I am wary about though is how much initial patching I'd have to do with a storebought copy. Anyone able to give me a rough guess at how big it would be? What about patch sizes if I was to also get the expansion?
    What I usually tell my friends with DL limits or like in your case prepaid is if you have a laptop head to your local coffee shop/hotel/mall basically anywhere with either free internet access or a small daily rate. Download the game and fully patch it then go home and xfer the entire install directory to your desktop computer unless you play on the same laptop. Games like Rift, WoW, SWTOR, GW2 and many more do not require registry hooks or they create them at launch if they do not already exist so you can copy the install directory's and run the game on a machine it was not originally installed on.

Yeah this is the problem with MMOs and ISPs these days, which limit your bandwidth. Playing the games is no trouble. Patching is a whole other issue

Deleted
    I don't even know what to feel when I read things about limited bandwidth. But yea an internet cafe or a hotel would be your best bet.

Deleted
    Could you try borrowing a friends internet? Install as much as you can while having a LAN party at their house (make sure you ask them) or if you have a friend irl who plays rift you could ask them to put the game onto a hardrive and then you could plug that into your pc and just drag n drop.