New Mistweaver, need help

Just leveled my monk to 90 and the healing mechanics are a bit odd than what im used to (have a shaman)

A few questions...I've only done LFR so far

I seem to be going oom a lot even though I have 9k spirit, yet I hear people say go for 7k spirit without meta?
    Whats the best Tier 3 talent? I have ascension. I have seen other monks use all 3 different ones.
    How do you heal exactly? Just use ReM on CD then uplift as necessary or whenever u have 5 chi?

What do i do while ReM is on cd if there is a lot of dmg going out and a player doesnt have ReM hot on him?

Plz Help thanx.

my toon: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...tfortat/simple

noxxic.com
    icy-veins.com
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Deleted
    For a quick answer: make sure you spend your Chi and never waste any by sitting at max. That'll store up a lot of stacks of Mana Tea, which you can drink for a hefty return.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and go easy on Surging Mist unless it's an emergency; that thing'll eat through your mana like nobody's business...

it's easy to mess up with a mistweaver, especially if you're fistweaving

i fistweave almost constantly. before meta gem i think i had 10kish spirit. everything was fine. nipping at the heels of the not-so-great dps with a strong healing presence. at this point i've dropped to about 8k and i'm easing my way lower as i get used to it.

i use ascension. ReM on CD too. however, i don't use uplift that much. i have it macro'd to my chi torpedo. my rotation builds my chi and when there's aoe i dump it with 3 torpedoes with a cast between for 3 uplifts at the same time. on some fights it's hard for other healers to touch that.

i also have a disc priest and resto druid. it was a big adjustment goin mistweaver, but they are strong when you get the hang of it.

Everything with your monk is a living cycle meaning:
    you have to spend mana to gain chi, but you also must spend chi to gain mana.
    You do damage and your statue returns heals

I seems counterintuitive at first but try not to have chi banked unless you are anticipating needing to uplift soon. If your group is stable and uplift or EM would be wasted, punch the boss to spend the chi. Tiger palm and Blackout kick give buffs that make you do more damage and translate even your white attacks to heals. Get in the habit of melee when you aren't casting soothing and your rem and mana tea are on cooldown. Once you get your blackout kick up for serent zeal it is just totally free white attack heals.
    Use glyphed mana tea at two stacks, never at one and try to not let stacks get much higher.

For high single target spike if there isn't an rem up: life cocoon, surging mist(expensive way to save their life, but sometimes necessary.) , manual healing spheres under them if you know their position heal for a ton. Ring of peace and grapple weapon can slow down the melee spike of some mobs. I use them the same way a warrior might use a stun to slow down the damage taken. You can also use your thunder focus tea for surging that hits twice as hard.

On ascension and chi brew. I have used them both. I certainly prefer chi brew for earlier levels and ascension for after you get the legendary meta gem. Here is why it worked with my style. As a new mistweaver or as a mistweaver healing content well above your gear level chi brew was best for me. You are going to see a lot more spike because your heals just don't always have the oomph to keep up. It is four free chi, you don't have to spend mana to gain. AOE spike you weren't ready for? No prob, chi brew and back to back uplift. Little AOE but you are also stuck healing a tank that was hit for a little more? Chi brew, enveloping(hate this spell, but heck it was free) the tank, renewing mist or expel harm and uplift for the raid. I don't want five chi, I need to be using my chi all the time. Ascension is just godly for mana return once you have the legendary gem. Prior to that the mana from asc was a wash between that and chi brews 4 free chi. Since I try to never hold or cap chi unless absolutely necessary the spike protection was just too good to pass up for a long time.

I could add more but just feel free to contact me with questions. Always happy to help a new mistweaver out. Viveka#1380
    Vivirei | Immortalis | US-Zul'Jin
    Do you want to be number one, or do you want to work hard enough to be number one?

First, try to avoid Noxxic's guide on mistweaving. I don't think it's been updated for a while, or just isn't a good guide. Noxxic is good resource for very basic class guides, and it's just not possible to properly explain Mistweaving with a basic guide.

Icy Veins is a much better resource for the Mistweaver playstyle, however try to back it up with your own research and some of the theorycrafting here on MMO.

Should try to avoid Enveloping Mists(EM) where possible. However, in a 10 man environment, it's unrealistic to do so with the reduced amount of healers. Still, try to limit your usage of EM. With more experience in given boss fights, you should have a better idea of when EM is absolutely necessary.

Another big thing with Mistweavers is that for many of our talent tiers, there is no clear cut winner. You can do simple math on things like Power Strikes and Chi Brew, but it's hard to attach a value to the "cooldown" nature of Chi Brew. Many of our most important talent tiers are subject to the fight and personal opinion.

It really comes down to research and practice. PM'ing you my btag if you have any more questions.

Are you fistweaving or mistweaving? There is a difference.

If you are fistweaving- do not spam Jab! Jab is a mana killer. What I like to do (when I do fistweave) is: Renewing Mist, expel harm, jab- in round about that order (if RM and EH are on CD, I use jab). It's not the correct way to do it, but it helps me to avoid spamming jab. My main focus though when I do this is to make sure people are still getting renewing mist. Also- make sure you are using your mana tea.
    Thunder focus tea/uplift to renew renewing mists on people.

For mistweaving, this is how I do it:

Renewing mist on cooldown, Soothing mist combined with enveloping mist on the tanks (when used with soothing mist it costs 3 chi). I only use surging mists as an Uh Oh type of heal. Thunder focus tea to renew renewing mists on people with uplift. I tend to use uplift a lot.

In both of these scenario's, always have your statue laid out.

Also, on spinning crane kick: I only use it on stacked up situations (in other words- everyone is stacked).
    Revival usage: I keep this an an Oh crap button when there's AOE damage out on the raid. I also use it on Horridon as a mass dispel after the poisons door.
    Life cocoon: Use it as a tank cooldown.

Also, the last tier of talents: I tend to change those talents depending on the situation. I go between Xuen and Chi Torpedo. Same goes for Chi Wave and Chi Burst. (Carry lots of Tomes with you).

I tend to fall into a hybird of the two healing types on certain fights- which means I use a combination of the two types.

My method isn't perfect, but I don't have too much mana trouble. I had to figure out what worked best for me (and yes, my main healer is a shaman). I once spent an entire heroic with 5% mana due to a combat bug. Somehow managed to heal it just fine.

This is my monk:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ubiju/advanced
    Last edited by taheen74; 2013-08-02 at 10:27 PM.
    "When you've got to get down, but can't find the elevator, you have to do it any way you can. Even if it's with a shovel."- Dark Tower II: Drawing of the Three, Stephen King
    Juju's kgpanels: http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/jujus-kgpanels Juju's blog: http://mouthygoblin.weebly.com/jujus-blog.html#/