Smile Just came back, best way to prepare for 5.4

Hello everyone:

As the title says I just came back to playing wow, leveling my shaman at the moment (enhance with resto OS), and i would really like to be able to do at least flex raiding next patch, I know I'm very behind but I'm gonna give it a try anyway.

My question is, what would be the best way to get as much gear as possible before patch? I know gear skill>gear, but if i don't have at least some ilevel won't get invited at all. I already have the boe helm, chest, gloves and boots. What else should i get next? And what about vp, any order in particular?

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by esued; 2013-08-02 at 01:13 AM. Reason: grammar mistakes

First, when you hit 90 go to The Barrens and find a group farming for Lesser Charms of Good Fortune. You'll get 50 in no time, which is enough to complete the weekly to get 3 Mogu Runes of Fate.
    Kill world bosses, all four, and use the Mogu Runes on Oondasta and Nalak. Nalak drops tier and pvp gear, Oon drops non-tier pieces. All pve gear is 522 ilvl.
    Cap valor. Convert Justice Points to Honor and buy 476 ilvl honor gear. Prioritize upgrading your ilvl, not upgrading your stats. As you gear through LFR you'll get new pieces and will be able to trade back the gear you don't need anymore to help boost your ilvl even more and move onward through the LFR ranks. You need a 480 ilvl to complete current tier LFR.
    Do the quest chain for the Darkspear Revolution. At the end, you'll get a pair of 502 ilvl boots. Sha drops an item that gives 476 boots upon turning them in, but you'll replace them quickly.
    They introduced a catch-up system for Conquest points, so cap those through Arena (yes in your shitty gear) and you'll have tons of easy 496 ilvl gear. The off-pieces like rings/necks/bracers are BIS for some specs until you get an ilvl increase. PvP gear has two secondary stats AND a pvp stat, so it's like raiding gear and then some. Nothing is taken away for the additional PvP stat so it's just as good as any other piece of the same ilvl.

I don't know if I missed anything. Oh yeah, don't buy the cheap Valor gear that requires rep from shadowpan/klaxxi/golden lotus etc. None of that. The ilvl is not worth the Valor you'd spend.

I also don't know if 5.4 will reset valor? Maybe not. You might just want to save it unless it is going to reset.
    If you can get some friends or guildies to run you through Heroic Scenarios, theres a chance for 516 ilvl gear to drop. IF and only IF you get a weapon from there, you can upgrade it immediately for 500 VP. Otherwise don't upgrade anything before 5.4.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by runedhill View Post
    IF and only IF you get a weapon from there, you can upgrade it immediately for 500 VP. Otherwise don't upgrade anything before 5.4.
    Pretty much exactly what runedhill said except for the quote above.

Item upgrades won't be enabled for 5.4 like they weren't enabled for 5.2 so there is little reason to stockpile valor. Spend you valor on upgrading 522 or 516 gear depending on how much of it you get. You can also buy a 522 neck and 522 trinket which may be worthwhile but you won't be able to get the trinket until you're 480+ and have done ToT LFR for the week to gain rep to friendly.

Keep in mind that you'll be able to get 536 gear in 5.4 fairly easily from the timeless isle which should make gearing up alts or new mains fairly easy for most raiders.

My general rundown of gearing up new characters goes something like this:
    Ding 90 with 4k justice and honor
    Farm barrens for commanders and 50 lesser charms
    Hand in weekly for 50 charms to get 3 runes of fate
    Run treasure scenario for 16+ elder charms to be able to coin every boss
    Do all 4 world bosses, use charms on sha + galleon and use runes on oon + nalak
    Spend honor on buying biggest upgrades
    Trade in JP for HP if I have to
    Buy 458 pvp gear from AH if I need
    Run all possible LFR
    Return pvp gear if I got loot for same slot from LFR
    Buy different PvP gear for other slots I was unlucky with in LFR

You should be able to get 490 in your first week easily.

Quote Originally Posted by runedhill View Post
    Do the quest chain for the Darkspear Revolution. At the end, you'll get a pair of 502 ilvl boots.
    Do you have more info on that, I can't find out where you get them, only the titel at the end.

10+ Year Old Account

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Crovyn View Post
    Do you have more info on that, I can't find out where you get them, only the titel at the end.
    The boots in question are a reward from this quest:

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=32816

You can pick it up at Razor Hill after Vol'Jin takes it from Garrosh. The starter quest is called "The Old Seer" that leads directly to the above.

(I also have no idea why I have a thumbs down arrow on my post )

you can still stockpile valor for the new valor gear in 5.4 though >.<