Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I bump into more and more as years go by, I remember I used to think almost none played until wrath where I met 6 or so. These days I'd have to go with at least 30% minimum 40% maximum

Deleted
    In the ten man raid I used to run with, it was three out of ten....
    Humourously enough, only three out of ten in the raid had a male toon.

10+ Year Old Account
    ...I'd say MMO Champion probably won't give you a very accurate percentage... It's a sausage fest in here.

Also joke is on you, I play a male toon just to fuck with peoples heads.

(It is kinda funny when someone who has been on the server with you a while and then joins your guild/chat only to go X is a female? I can see the funny side of men rolling female characters if that's what everyone presumes)

My Raid group has a grand total of 4 women out of a roster of 16. 2 Healers, 2 dps. All excellent at their jobs (Not to blow my own horn or anything)
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Last infographic I saw said about 30%. So 2.3 million right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
    I've met loads of women in WoW, ironically (or not) playing on an RP server. It's really not that rare to meet female players anymore, if it ever really was.
    I think it's more there are environments that women generally avoid like the plague, for good reason. The men in these environments come to the conclusion "Women don't play WoW." when it is really "Women don't play WoW with you."
    Last edited by Darmalus; 2013-08-02 at 01:53 AM.

Judging only from the ladies that have been raiding with me for the last couple of years, i'd say at least 30% of players must be women, but i'm sure it's way more then that. My alts in leveling guys are surrounded by women who enjoy xmogs and pet battle like no other.

But as far as using female characters, thats all over the place for what i've seen.

10+ Year Old Account
    If the WoW podcasters are a fair sample, I'd say about 50%. (JK) I think that transmog, lore, pet battles, and the increased focus on solo play are very interesting to many female gamers (although not exclusively just female). Let's face it in the U.S. late teen, 20s, and early 30s unmarried females are where the money is. I wouldn't be the slightest surprised that Blizzard has data on what female gamers like. Did we fill out an optional M/F check box when we signed up? I don't recall.

10+ Year Old Account
    Female players in an MMO are not an anomaly at all; I'm not sure why people think they are. They are a pretty huge portion of the demographic, since MMOs -- especially more accessible ones like WoW -- appeal to a pretty wide demographic.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceleaf View Post
    or want to say they are females because for some odd reason there are men who make the other gender such big deal.
    DUDES PRETENDING TO BE LADIES

D=

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua
    ...I'd say MMO Champion probably won't give you a very accurate percentage... It's a sausage fest in here.
    only when the words "feminism", "misogyny", "friend zone" or "i can't get laid" appear in a topic in relevant context or "lady attacked a dude and didnt go to prison", "lady acts like she got attacked by a dude, was actually nothing", "women dont need us/think we are pussies", or "i can't get laid" is the topic.

definitely feel like we have less females than males here, but i dont think that the figures are generally too disproportionate when people aren't shitting themselves in a fit of frustration over something stupid that they read.

Most guilds I have been in has had around 25% females in the raiding teams.

Personally I play only female characters because the alliance males look totally retarded all around.

Does it matter at all? Really why do you care. they play, some of them are good and some of them are bad. Some of them are nice to be around and others are pains in the ass. like you know everyone. It really does not matter if you a dick or tits.

Quote Originally Posted by Bramickias View Post
    But as far as using female characters, thats all over the place for what i've seen.
    The numbers I have to work off of right now are that 30% of all players are female and 40% of all characters are female.

I've met a few character gender purists (only make one gender) but most people seem to have a mix of genders across their characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post

only when the words "feminism", "misogyny", "friend zone" or "i can't get laid" appear in a topic in relevant context or "lady attacked a dude and didnt go to prison", "lady acts like she got attacked by a dude, was actually nothing", "women dont need us/think we are pussies", or "i can't get laid" is the topic.

definitely feel like we have less females than males here, but i dont think that the figures are generally too disproportionate when people aren't shitting themselves in a fit of frustration over something stupid that they read.
    The fact that those are the most prevalent and repeated topics on these forums speaks volumes (One pops up in some new form at least every other day), I'd say it would be optimistic to believe that 20% of the MMO Champion active posters are female.

In game however, I feel the percentage is much higher and that was the question. So asking on here feels a bit... like asking the wrong crowd.
    Funnily enough I see more female WoW posters on blogs, or tumbr? tumblr... that thing.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galosengen View Post
    Does it matter at all? Really why do you care.
    because we want to ride into the sunset with them on our mechano hogs without a shirt on and engage in erotic roleplay with them

Contrary to whatever ppl think, there's a pretty good size of the community that are females, I'd say about 1/8th ish. Not to mention a lot of the peeps at Blizzard are female as well. Not more than half, but still a very decent size.

More than the people who ask the question invariably assume. Fewer than most players would like (except, I suppose, the assholes).

It blows my mind how many male players assume that the female player population has to be low. Yes, there is a certain type of female player that practically sets up neon signs and a "tits" ad to draw attention to themselves (and eventually rip guilds apart, because for some reason a lot of guilds collect guys who are cool with members that go brain dead when confirmed females announce themselves). Surprisingly enough, there are other types of female players. All of the ones I've known (with the exception of ONE, who was the flirty/bitchy type) have been pretty sociable but made a point of making sure they kept company with people who weren't assholes. They may have hung out with idiots, but they tended to avoid the players who thrived on ego trips and meter spamming.

I had an alt in a guild that was about 60-75% female. It was a raiding guild. They did alright - not bottom of the barrel, not bleeding edge. The guild I'm in now ... 10% active members are female, 50-60% female characters - which has been brought up before, and for half of the male players playing female characters it was more a matter of random chance. They made characters of both sexes across a variety of classes, and the class they wound up enjoying the most just happened to have been created as a female character.

That said... I have a friend who's husband creates a female character 95% of the time when given the option. He didn't always, but in the last 6 or 7 years the trend has become more pronounced.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Quote Originally Posted by Aqua View Post
    The fact that those are the most prevalent and repeated topics on these forums speaks volumes (One pops up in some new form at least every other day), I'd say it would be optimistic to believe that 20% of the MMO Champion active posters are female.

In game however, I feel the percentage is much higher and that was the question. So asking on here feels a bit... like asking the wrong crowd.
    Funnily enough I see more female WoW posters on blogs, or tumbr? tumblr... that thing.
    Tumblr in general is pretty skewed toward women demographic wise, so yes many of the WoW blogs you will find there by female players.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think a lot more woman probably play than people realize. Many just don't on necessarily let onto it.... Where I'm at I can think of at least 9 I know of off the top of my head, and a number of suspected or vaguely aware of.

What about the female characters thing though, is that related more to a personal interest? Since, after all, I suppose guys looking for women are less likely to try to hit on a male character? Heh. Although many women playing are not on there hunting for a date in game.

I think about the funniest thing I've heard, in terms of player/character gender expectations, was a male Orc who had been AFK come back and say "Sorry, I was watching the end of Project Runway" (Or America's Next Top Model, which ever it was, it was quite a while ago now) and just made me stop for a moment, like wait... Granted there is no reason that a guys might not watch it, but really, what are the chances this was a unexpectedly a woman.

Which is funny though also, because most are unaware that my Belf is played by a woman, but that's fine with me if they just want to see this character as one of the guys. There's enough stereotypes on that race, I'd prefer they not get used to call him she.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2013-08-02 at 02:56 AM.

There are 3 in my guild, used to be a few more.

2 of them are part of our main raid team.

Edit: this post unintentionally makes our female members out to be 'things'.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valyrian Stormclaw View Post
    I'm curious to know how many of those female toons are actually played by real women.
    I play males and my husband has a mix. I think only three of my toons are female, not counting alts.

Also we met through WoW. We're both huge MMO gamers.

15+ Year Old Account
    Almost half of the people I know from wow are female irl. Guild mates are an exception though, as I don't know 80% of them.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!