Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post
    the voice overs are mostly terrible. Because NPC's dont make for smart communications, repeating the same lines over and over.

The problem is that the core of video gaming is the game play, not NPC's telling stories over and over again, with players hitting space bars to skip them instead of keys to play to have fun combat.

That's why Blizzard will never enter the Skyrim mechanics: in a Blizzard game the controls and actions takes precedence over non fluid combat and long story telling.

Or how did Pardo put it ? Game play first and the player plays the story he doesn't listen to it.

The only meaningful voices in on line games are player voices.
    what are you talking about "voice overs are mostly terrible"
    i found skyrim voice over pretty good, given the scope of the game. Hitman absolution voice acgting is top of the line. Tomb raider voice acting is awesome from start to finish. Some voice acting gave so much personality, vilain like handsome jack or Vaas Montenegro are considered among the most charismatic villain of video games.

so i repeat the question, what are you on saying that in video games "voice overs are mostly terrible"

i agree that voice acting though is not the main feature of a video game, gameplay mechanics are, followed by battle or level design. Still any AAA games, MMO or otherwise, must have full quality voice acting nowaday. it's 2013. I want to be immerse in the game y story, good voice, music and sound effect. i don't want to open the map, check the colored area, and start killing for drop and XP, i want a story. I would even classify sound quality (voice, music, effect) as higher priority than graphic in my book.

So that is the difference between you and me. I know what i want, i want immersion, story, voice and if possible good graphics, and obviously, priority to game mechanic and design. I will be playing TESO for the immersive experience. I will not be drawn back into reading text log and/or rushing max level to farm tier gear.

i do not agree that only voice that matter is teamspeak or ventrillo, that's community interaction, this is not game design.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    His point was that you could play a minigame without entering an instance out in the world. That's true.
    My point was that this is not a feature unique to WoW. This is also true.
    Your point was that the example I used was a bad one because a completely different game system uses instancing; story progression. Except WoW does do that for the exact same purpose. What do you think Scenarios are?
    If you mean "the world itself is seamless" that's something that I explicitly told BenBos to shut up about because I do not give two shits about that.
    so tell me which other game has phasing in the open world and seamless open world cross server play without loading screens..

I tell you none, so it is more than unique.

you talk about immersion ?

having loading screens every time you meet a quest giver, going from Stormwind to Elwyn Forest going from EW to Westfall, jumping through hoops instead of taking a horse, now that's immersive ???

LoL. GW2 is the most hyped up turd in the history of mmorpg's.

From not even having open world play or open world pvp to extreme silly zerg combats with NO specs on avatars.

Blablabla, but actually regression in every inch of its cheap short cut design.

You will never see these short cuts and fake statements from Blizzard.

Dreadlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapetufo View Post
    Haha! WHAT. SC2 is not huge and getting bigger, in fact it's getting killed by lol and Blizzard refusing to promote it. Even pros have admitted the game will die before lotv. Yeah it's good and a way better competitive game than lol but it's struggling as an e-sport because hardly anyone whos not a pro want to play it.
    SC2 is not as big as LoL due to a few reasons, one because its not F2P. The other thing is that the streaming and proffesional scene is much bigger in SC2 compared to LoL. I dont know if you ever heard about Barcraft which has been popular for years now all around the globe. LoL just picked it up, but it hasnt been as popular.

The sheer revenue stream related to SC2 competitions and league play is gigantic in the US and Korea and even popular casters are making above average living of this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    WoL and HotS's campaigne are far from okay-ish. Their stories may not be that good but their gameplay are praised as the best and most varied gameplay for campaigne in this genre.
    Except for it being far to short I'd agree. Game was good just needed more of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    you need to be less narrow minded, .

You must have not met BenBos before.
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2013-08-06 at 09:39 AM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

so tell me which other game has phasing in the open world and seamless open world cross server play without loading screens..

I tell you none, so it is more than unique.

you talk about immersion ?

having loading screens every time you meet a quest giver, going from Stormwind to Elwyn Forest going from EW to Westfall, jumping through hoops instead of taking a horse, now that's immersive ???

LoL. GW2 is the most hyped up turd in the history of mmorpg's.

From not even having open world play or open world pvp to extreme silly zerg combats with NO specs on avatars.

Blablabla, but actually regression in every inch of its cheap short cut design.

You will never see these short cuts and fake statements from Blizzard.
    GW2 has its own design (that you obviously didn't dig), that does not make it a turd.
    you need to be less narrow minded, other game than blizzard also have good innovation and mechanics (that blizzard may even borrow). Even if you don't enjoy the final product, you may enjoy particular mechanics or even global design.

you'd probably make a very bad game developper. i am persuaded that wow lead designers plays tons of other games, scratch that, enjoy tons of other games, if anything, to give them fresh perspective and enhance their creative skill.

Your point was that the example I used was a bad one because a completely different game system uses instancing; story progression. Except WoW does do that for the exact same purpose. What do you think Scenarios are?
    WoW uses seamless phasing for story progression in 9 cases out o 10, check out worgen/goblin starting areas for an example. Scenarios are used only in places where they want to limit the participants to some fixed number (usually one) to make sure nobody else can help or harm you while doing it (like the legendary quest). And they could've just cut out all those solo scenarios easily from isle of thunder progression and just phase it. No clue why they didn't go that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Vankrys View Post
    GW2 has its own design (that you obviously didn't dig), that does not make it a turd.
    Having about fifty (painfully slow even from SSD!) loading screens while doing the very first area for levels 1-8ish (including the city for story quest NPC's) is a sign that the game is a turd compared to WoW. Although to be honest half of those were caused by overflow queues, but it still does not excuse the retarded server infrastructure they've designed.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-08-06 at 09:45 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

words
    So, er.

You've done three seperate things here;

1. You're blatantly lying, because there are specs in GW2. My necro is 20/0/20/30/0 minion master.
    2. You're misinterpreting information, as there aren't any quest-givers in GW2, and the closest analogy (rep hearts) aren't instanced (so go back to number 1).
    3. You're blatantly game-bashing, which can get you into trouble.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

They definitely are... One can have different tastes and maybe like or dislike Blizzard games/expansion... but compared to all the other companies (and I mean all of them) Blizzard is certainly top three when talking about quality.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    WoW uses seamless phasing for story progression in 9 cases out o 10, check out worgen/goblin starting areas for an example. Scenarios are used only in places where they want to limit the participants to some fixed number (usually one) to make sure nobody else can help or harm you while doing it (like the legendary quest). And they could've just cut out all those solo scenarios easily from isle of thunder progression and just phase it. No clue why they didn't go that way.
    Those zones in particular aren't seamless, though; DK, Pandaren, Worgen and Goblin starting areas are not attached to the rest of the world in the same way vanilla questing zones are. Of course, for all we know, Pandaren and Goblin areas -could- be distinct continents, but Worgen and DK zones are in distinct areas from the world, and yet people can't enter them. They're instances, just ones which are open to players.

Having about fifty (painfully slow even from SSD!) loading screens while doing the very first area for levels 1-8ish (including the city for story quest NPC's) is a sign that the game is a turd compared to WoW. Although to be honest half of those were caused by overflow queues, but it still does not excuse the retarded server infrastructure they've designed.
    I don't really find the loading screens to be painful, though that is a matter of personal opinion. If you're rapidly changing between zones and story instances, I can see how it would be painful, but that isn't the meat of the game.

That said, even 25 loading screens should get you to level 16, not level 8, unless you're constantly ducking back into the city at every opportunity.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Of course they're still a quality game maker. MoP has been the best xpac yet, pretty much hitting in all the right places. For comparison's sake, I have played SWTOR, Rift, and GW2. While all of them had some solid points that are better than WoW at some of the stuff they do, none of them do so much nearly as well. After 9 years it's finally on a downswing, but the fact of the matter is, 7 million people still play it. The game continues to improve, but I doubt it'll be enough to grow the population anymore. In the end, you can only rework an old game with an old engine for so long.

Heart of the Swarm was an expansion felt like it added more than the typical xpac in an RTS. The Kerrigan as a hero unit and the unit evolution system set it apart quite nicely from the upgrade/research system of the first game. And on top of that, in the multiplayer, Blizzard keeps up on unit balance better than any other company in the biz. The Arcade thing is a really nice addition too. There is not a single RTS out there that can touch the quality of this game, it's unarguably the best game in the RTS genre.

Now the game that is probably the reason for the OP starting this thread: D3. Best ARPG to date. The RMAH sucks for sure, lets just get that out of the way. To compare it to the current game people like to compare it to: Torchlight 2. While TL2 does some things really nicely such as socket variation and a decent variety of bosses and rare creature, each character's toolset isn't nearly as diverse as any class in D3. Granted, I've only rolled an Embermage and Engineer in that game, in both cases I didn't feel nearly as much variety in abilities and effects as there are in D3s classes. While D3 doesn't have the same long term appeal that D2 did, times change and people change. Sure running CS or whatever over and over again was awesome back in 2002, with the overall cost of PC gaming going down, especially in the realm of game prices thanks to Steam, it's pretty hard to play the same levels over and over again when your 200 game Steam library beckons. I still sunk 300 hours into that game before finally really getting bored. I can't say I know anybody that has any less than 40 or 50 hours in that game, which is still a hell of a lot of time.

I don't really find the loading screens to be painful, though that is a matter of personal opinion. If you're rapidly changing between zones and story instances, I can see how it would be painful, but that isn't the meat of the game.

That said, even 25 loading screens should get you to level 16, not level 8, unless you're constantly ducking back into the city at every opportunity.
    That was about 50 loading screens on first week after the game launched. Half of those from overflow queues (probably not as big problem now) and half from simply entering/leaving the various instanced NPCs following the story quest (I did all follow-ups to it as soon as the level was high enough to start).

That is simply ridiculous compared to WoW. If you start as any vanilla race today you can get to level 60 before seeing first loading screen which gets you to outland.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

That was about 50 loading screens on first week after the game launched. Half of those from overflow queues (probably not as big problem now) and half from simply entering/leaving the various instanced NPCs following the story quest (I did all follow-ups to it as soon as the level was high enough to start).
    Moving into and out of story instances, from level 1 to level 8, isn't that many. It might end up being something like 15, with a healthy serving of going back into the city, but other than that I don't think it's quite that high a number.

That is simply ridiculous compared to WoW. If you start as any vanilla race today you can get to level 60 before seeing first loading screen which gets you to outland.
    Assuming you never use your hearthstone.

I think it is a matter of opinion... the loading screens didn't bother me at all, maybe because I played Ragnarok Online for like 8 years (still play from time to time)... even after playing WoW for many years I don't think it's a problem to have a loading screen when switching maps... I liked RO, I liked GW2, I liked WoW... but getting back to the OP, I think Blizzard is in the top three of companies, when talking about quality (whether you like a game/expansion or not)

I don't think they were that great to begin with. I love the lore in the Warcraft universe, but game wise I would not say it is the best, they just chose a good time to release it. Since there was nothing really out there to compete and already had some fan base from W1,2 and 3 they made a good start. Although the game was and still is good, lately the changes they have been doing don't scream at me quality. It seems they are slipping further and further into the "make as much money as you possibly can", pointing at those ridiculous head pieces and the upcoming bought XP potion. This is of course my opinion, I don't say it's right or wrong.
    Last edited by ZeroToleranceII; 2013-08-06 at 01:20 PM.

Anyone who has played the first Mass Effect knows exactly how Blizzard gets around load screens. Just like the elevator non-load screen set up in Mass Effect, Blizzard also cleverly disguises their loading time. Instead of using an elevator they use huge expanses of nothing between map areas, playing a modern mmo and going back to wow it's pretty easy to see how much space is wasted in WoW and how much of the terrain is just load buffering.

Nice looking load buffering, but still.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    Except for it being far to short I'd agree. Game was good just needed more of it.

You must have not met BenBos before.
    HotS may be a bit short but WoL was certainly not. It has 29 missions. Original SC has 30.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-08-06 at 11:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    Nice looking load buffering, but still.
    Doesn't change the fact that in sloppier done games there's not even half-arsed try to hide those. Blizzard does actually care about how their games feel like.
    Trolling should be.

In short.... No. Not since they were devoured by Activision. Big gaming companies buying up smaller developers is good for making money but bad for game quality. Thats the bottom line.

Doesn't change the fact that in sloppier done games there's not even half-arsed try to hide those. Blizzard does actually care about how their games feel like.
    It isn't a matter of being sloppy, it's a decision about spending resources. When developing anything with multiple pages you always have to consider what your transitions are and whether to smooth them over or just to pull the bandaid off. Much of the consensus in app development and web design has landed squarely on getting the loading over quickly and using the loading screen as a preview of the ui layout giving the user the opportunity to acquaint themselves with the program while it's launching. With a game the decision is more nuanced; you are balancing the immersion breaking of a loading screen versus the immersion breaking of constant luls in action.

Neither method is inherently good or bad.

Field Marshal
    Blizzard is like George Lucas.

They made some great stuff back in the day, but now its mostly crap.

Diablo, StarCraft, Brood War, Diablo II and Lord of Destruction were all great. Even Warcraft III was fun, albeit a bit flawed.

But that Blizzard is gone now, and we will never see them again. Vanilla WoW had its moments, BC was fun at times, but its gone downhill since.

I'm not saying everything they've done is awful, but the flaws and mistakes have multiplied quite a bit.

StarCraft II is fun if you play it with friends or against other players, but the campaign is awful. The story is a joke, and a slap in the face to the original.

The same goes for Diablo III.

Wrath did have its moments too, but Cataclysm was pretty bad. Mists is better, but not by a ton.

--------------

So the bottom line is, no. Blizzard isn't a great developer anymore. At least not to me.