Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Climate Change increases Violence

I've found this last night already. Thought this is just an interesting topic...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3692023.html
    Shifts in climate change are strongly linked to human violence around the world, according to a comprehensive new study released Thursday by the University of California, Berkeley and Princeton University.

The research, which was published in Science, examined 60 previous studies from all major regions of the globe. The results suggest that changes such as drought, flood and high temperatures strongly correlate with spikes in conflict.
    Interesting findings, which with a little thought to it, make a lot of sense to me..
    One can notice it even on the smaller end of things. When it's pretty hot outside, people are affected, and their patience is not what it could be, they getting annoyed faster, and aggression is more noticeable than on cooler days.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Deleted
    No s***... Being in a state of misery and annoyed leads people to lose their temper quicker!? Whats their next research? Does sleep deprivation causes an increase in violence? Hunger perhabs?

10+ Year Old Account
    Its true....some people i know are more aggresive in heat than in cold.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Yes, this is observable every year with a more drastic change - summer vs winter. Old idea name dropping to get notoriety.

It's a well-known fact that most historical wars happened during the warmest time of the year. Likewise, warm climates tend to be more violent than cold climates.
    HOWEVER:
    It's also well established that globally, violence is on the decline.

Correlation does not equal causality. A sudden increase in violence may be due to the climate change, but it's more likely due to recent economic problems.
    So while peak temperatures most definitely play a part in violence, we shouldn't suddenly conclude that it's climate change specifically that causes this. The two are not the same.

States of emergency cause societal breakdown. Violence thrives when society breaks down. It's really not surprising.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    No s***... Being in a state of misery and annoyed leads people to lose their temper quicker!? Whats their next research? Does sleep deprivation causes an increase in violence? Hunger perhabs?
    Yes to both your examples.
    Yet that wasn't subject to the apparently extensive studies they've conducted.

Quote Originally Posted by Berkeley News Center
    They examined various aspects of climate such as rainfall, drought or temperature, and their associations with various forms of violence within three broad categories of conflict:
    All I can say is TROLOLOL. That one little word pretty much says it all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    It's a well-known fact that most historical wars happened during the warmest time of the year.
    True, at least they've started then.. Which I believe though is more a strategical reason than a climate reason.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    All I can say is TROLOLOL. That one little word pretty much says it all.
    what does it say, other than they've used all three aspects?

maybe it is the Earths Magnetic field getting thrown off by Ozone emissions and making peoples minds go crazy!

MAGNETS!

/tinfoilhat/

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    True, at least they've started then.. Which I believe though is more a strategical reason than a climate reason.

- - - Updated - - -

what does it say, other than they've used all three aspects?
    So if I get a cat OR a dog I have 2 pets?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Silverblade Paladin View Post
    maybe it is the Earths Magnetic field getting thrown off by Ozone emissions and making peoples minds go crazy!

MAGNETS!

/tinfoilhat/
    Don't let them tell you you're crazy.

Agree.

Full Moon night has the most car accident/murder.

10+ Year Old Account
    So if I get a cat OR a dog I have 2 pets?
    quite a strawman now, isn't it?

For all you need to do is read correctly, and use your logic sense properly...

They examined various aspects of climate such as rainfall, drought or temperature
    translates into a flexible amount of factors, but isn't limited to the examples mentioned.

They examined various aspects of climate such as rainfall, drought AND temperature
    They've looked at a rather fixed amount of factors consistent of only the examples mentioned.

See the difference now?

quite a strawman now, isn't it?

For all you need to do is read correctly, and use your logic sense properly...

translates into a flexible amount of factors, but isn't limited to the examples mentioned.

They've looked at a rather fixed amount of factors consistent of the examples mentioned.

See the difference now?
    You're wrong. I'm not going to argue why because you could just as easily pick up a dictionary, and look up the words "and" and "or" in order to correct your apparent misunderstanding of what they mean that could lead to you perceiving them as being interchangeable in any situation.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're wrong. I'm not going to argue why because you could just as easily pick up a dictionary, and look up the words "and" and "or" in order to correct your apparent misunderstanding of what they mean that could lead to you perceiving them as being interchangeable in any situation.
    You cannot correct me, since the study at hand contradicts your interpretation clearly.

You are stuck on the list of examples.... you outright ignore the entire remaining construct of the sentence..
    Plus you fail to explain why you think it's funny.... You contributed a quote, with zero value of why you consider it funny.
    Basic rule of communication: I challenge your statement... I deliver reason why I challenge your statement..

Deleted
    Yes to both your examples.
    Yet that wasn't subject to the apparently extensive studies they've conducted.
    Science at your best, we already know it but let's research anyway. I just find funny from time to time, I do however know it does bear fruit in most cases

(Also the anger in my post was to show it's freaking hot here)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemposs View Post
    Science at your best, we already know it but let's research anyway. I just find funny from time to time, I do however know it does bear fruit in most cases

(Also the anger in my post was to show it's freaking hot here)
    I didn't even read it as angry

I think the important aspect was what that guy said:
    The study draws on a variety of research fields including climatology, archaeology, economics, political science and psychology to provide a comprehensive look at how climatic changes shape human conflict and violence.

“What was lacking was a clear picture of what this body of research as a whole was telling us,” said Solomon Hsiang, the study’s lead author, who was a postdoctoral fellow in Science, Technology, and Environmental Policy at Princeton during the research project and is now an assistant professor of public policy at UC Berkeley’s Goldman School of Public Policy. “We collected 60 existing studies containing 45 different data sets and we re-analyzed their data and findings using a common statistical framework. The results were striking.”
    and this:
    "We often think of modern society as largely independent of the environment, due to technological advances," coauthor Edward Miguel of UC Berkeley wrote. "But our findings challenge that notion."
    The message I get from everything is.... Let's not have our most natural behaviors slip away from our attentions, despite of our technological progress. The more aware we are, the more we can incorporate them to our advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Funny how the crusades or two world wars happened when it wasn't as hot?
    The machine gun needs water to cool down 100 years ago.
    Didn't work well in summer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Funny how the crusades or two world wars happened when it wasn't as hot?
    Now you are being silly.
    Every of these wars, and many others spawned across years, which includes all seasons. The tide during the last world war turned however, because one side made the fatal mistake not to use the seasons to it's advantage. Leading to it's armies being stuck in harsh winter conditions for which they were neither prepared nor equipped.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tend to "road rage" more in the Texas summer heat. Since I was 16. I don't know what it is about the heat that makes me mad. . . but it does!