Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans RaoBurning's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd straight up stab a bitch for some G-Fiber. To the point at hand though, it does seem like it would be difficult for a start-up to enter into one of the big time games - Internet and power, to name two. Oui? I assume Google has more cash than it knows what to do with and that allows it to jump into the fiber game.
    Last edited by RaoBurning; 2013-08-02 at 10:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    This is America. We always have warm dead bodies.
    if we had confidence that the President clearly did not commit a crime, we would have said that.

Deleted
    I would love me some Google Fiber, it'd get me off this 1.4 down 0.28 up piece of shit line I have right now. Oh, wait, i'm in the UK... FUCK YOU GOOGLE.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    I'd straight up stab a bitch for some G-Fiber. To the point at hand though, it does seem like it would be difficult for a start-up to enter into one of the big time games - Internet and power, to name two. Oui? I assume Google has more cash than it knows what to do with and that allow it to jump into the fiber game.
    You would be surprised at how difficult it ISN'T to get large capital infusions if your idea is marketable enough.

People in Florida vote in these fucking morons. Stop crying and deal with it. Am I supposed to cry when you voted in business friendly Republicans and the regular guy gets screwed?

Only thing I can do is laugh.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laize View Post
    I'd prefer total privatization. If power companies actually had to compete against each other I can't imagine there'd be near as much extortion.
    Like the US ISP's do atm?
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Like the US ISP's do atm?
    Pretty much. Except US ISPs are the same as power companies. The only exception is here Google Fiber has been able to step in and force companies to lower their prices.

15+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much. Except US ISPs are the same as power companies. The only exception is here Google Fiber has been able to step in and force companies to lower their prices.
    Yea sort of agree. Those providing multiple services generally suck too when it comes to pricing, at least here in Sweden.
    Always prefered a 100% ISP and not Cable/ISP bullshit bundlepacks cos of the poorer quality of the internet part.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

I agree its bullshit, but only if they abandoned plans for no reason other than to save money. If they had to shutter the plans due to onerous environmental regulations or some other government obstacles, then it doesnt make me mad. It would make me pissed at the government though and would make me vote the assholes that put up the obstacles or appointed the people who put them up out of office
    If the company was able to increase their rates to build a power plant of any kind, they should have had all of their ducks in a row (permits, sanctions, etcc) to complete the project before starting to overcharge their customers otherwise, to me it's stealing, false advertising and bullshit.

Normally the price of power would just compensate for the building and maintaining of power plants but only after they have been built. So if they charge you before, they are just getting paid for it sooner and maybe it would cost a little less overall if they can cut out some of the interest on loans.

However, if the plants are never built customers should receive a refund or lower power prices until the difference is made up. Here it looks like the company is just going to keep the money because they are greedy bastards and the government wasnt smart enough to protect themselves in this situation.

I dont think it was cronyism, I think the power companies came up with this "brilliant idea" that would get them more money sooner with the possibility of defrauding the government by never using it for its intended purpose. Governments, especially state governments, bend over backwards to make companies happy and "create jobs."

And sadly enough this isn't even the most fucked up thing in Florida at the moment. Sugar farmers and Lake Okeechobee releases make this look like kiddie games.

15+ Year Old Account
    You keep saying this and yet you have no evidence on which to base your claim.

In fact, a similar situation has arisen already where the OPPOSITE of what you claim has happened. See, telecommunications function largely the same way. You have one or two large companies (comcast or verizon) who build out the infrastructure and carve up the nation between them. Entry into the market is generally cost-prohibitive... but if it can be done, it forces the monopolies to check themselves before they lose all their customers to the invariably better deal.

In fact, the competing service is so popular that everyone wants it.

- - - Updated - - -

No, I'm saying that they went bankrupt because they were a crooked company.

Thus, who gives a shit what they did? Nothing else matters in light of the fact that it was all a lie.
    comcast and verizon use fiber? if not, what´s your point?

best example, the privatisation disaster england went through with privatising their railroads ... maintenance went downhill so bad that they renationalised the maintenance of the rails

the things everyone in the country needs shouldn´t be privatised:

water, electricity, public transportation, i´d even put housing on the list but to a degree

water, electricity and public transportation should be national
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

"And Enron went bankrupt. Who cares what they did?"

In the Enron case, A LOT of people got screwed out of a LOT of money, many of them their own employees. The Enron case is exactly why we should have these companies nationalized. The Enrons of the world just do too much damage. You have a way of making it exactly clear why the US needs to move to the left.

Florida's legislature

only had to read till right there to realize the rest of the post would be them doing something absolutely retarded.

i live in florida and cant go a day without hearing about how an overpaid idiot messes something up for the entire state.

Quote Originally Posted by UnC View Post
    Saying its disgusting is overboard, just a minor money issue. Very underwhelmed by the thread.

I expected something extremely shocking like a fosa común, and then people selling the bones of the victims to tourists. Now, that would be disgusting.
    How about toxic/polluted water from a lake being dumped into rivers killing off dolphins, manatees, thousands of acres of sea grass, causing toxic algae to bloom in said rivers, and many other things...Can I sell you on that as disgusting?

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    It is a government backed monopoly. What do you expect? A government backed monopoly has no reason to do otherwise if they know a legislature or government controller won't care.
    Indeed - hence why its important to actually care.

10+ Year Old Account
    "privatized" water, gas, electricity, and the like? That's a horrible idea.

We can't just stick water mains, power lines, and gas pipes any and everywhere. That isn't exactly "low intrusion" infrastructure like a wi-fi modem. Are we going to have five competing bus lines? Half a dozen power companies with their own private power lines?

Any and ALL public services should either be owned by the government, or have their rates set by it. More oversight is needed to ensure shit like this doesn't happen.

But hey, it's Florida...
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Any and ALL public services should either be owned by the government, or have their rates set by it. More oversight is needed to ensure shit like this doesn't happen.
    Problem: Government making poor decisions because private entities are twisting the rules for their own benefit.
    Solution: Give government more power, and therefore give the private entities more power to twist the rules for their own benefit.

I'm not quite sure this will work.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    Problem: Government making poor decisions because private entities are twisting the rules for their own benefit.
    Solution: Give government more power, and therefore give the private entities more power to twist the rules for their own benefit.

"More oversight is needed to ensure shit like this doesn't happen."

As in, laws, rules, and regulations that would lambast any company that would break them with dire consequences. And when it comes to things that benefit from taxpayer money, (or in this case, an "approved escalation of prices,") then they need to set very strict measures on where that money can go, and watch every penny that crosses their door to ensure it goes to paying for the project's completion, and nothing else... if they finish underbudget, have that money go into a tax refund. And in this case, the utility company could (read "would be forced to") LOWER their rates temporarily, with said remainder made up for by the money they already accumulated, but sent nowhere.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post

Problem: Cow is wandering off.

Solution A: Shoot cow
    Solution B: Build fence
    Solution C: Shoot cow, buy multiple smaller cows and only give them food enough for half to make them fight for food in the pit of death while still not building a fence to prevent them from wandering off.
    Solution D: Strawberry
    Last edited by Catta; 2013-08-04 at 09:17 AM.

Deleted
    I'd prefer total privatization. If power companies actually had to compete against each other I can't imagine there'd be near as much extortion.
    right :')
    they did that over here and guess what ? Prices keep going up and there is hardly any difference in prices.
    You can't have a fair market with a product everyone needs and can't really do without.