10+ Year Old Account

Laptop, Non-Gaming

My roommate (who also shares the computer) just wrecked our system, so I'm moving to a laptop to have that extra freedom.

General requirements, though I'm not interested in gaming (I ask you guys because I don't know many other trustworthy tech-centric forums).
    -I'll obviously be using a mouse so the laptop's innate scroll box is irrelevant (also any mouse rec you have would be great)
    -Would prefer nothing with a touchscreen
    -I often have over a dozen tabs open for study (or just tons of reddit threads), so it has to be decently capable

Would like to spend 5-8, any ideas would be fantastic!

5-8? hundreds? US dollars?
    Win 7 or Win 8?
    How big screen? Does it have to be small and light?
    I have enough of EA ruining great franchises and studios, forcing DRM and Origin on their games, releasing incomplete games only to sell day-1 DLCs or spill dozens of DLCs, and then saying it, and microtransactions, is what players want, stopping players from giving EA games poor reviews, as well as deflecting complaints with cheap PR tricks.

I'm not going to buy any game by EA as long as they continue those practices.

10+ Year Old Account
    $500-800, no preference on OS, weight is irrelevant but I'd like a decent sized screen (it would be my primary vessel for movie-watching)

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know how to install SSDs into laptops (it's easy, but wanting to know)? If you don't, just look up a video, but I recommend this laptop. It's way under the top amount you want to pay for a laptop, and with the extra money get this SSD (solid state drive) or the same one in a 250gb variant, which replaces your hard drive for a much faster experience.