Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Go play Diablo. That is an RNG to complain about.

  2. #22
    In the end of the day you get to thank those who said they represented the majority and complained about getting all their loot from the vendor too fast and having nothing else to do and saying they wanted raiding gear. What does Blizzard do, increased reputation grinds and use RNG gear systems to slow down gearing.

    In general the RNG doesnt bother me as long as there is a fall back which is what VP gear is supposed to be and gear catch ups. I was usually jumping into the next tier with only half of my gear replaced and still sitting at the top of the meters so it didnt bother me much.
    Last edited by nekobaka; 2013-08-03 at 02:22 AM.

  3. #23
    I have legendary meta gem, but don't have a head piece to use it.... I hate RNG but wouldn't remove it completely. This is what makes it interesting. I get loot about 2 times in a run with the extra rolls. Problem is I get the same all te time Maybe they could make it like from the whole loot table of the raid you would have a slightly lower chance on items already owned or just make the system check your gear and decide based on your item levels on given slot.

    Example:
    - xyz boss can drop neck and back for you
    - check if your character already wears items on those slots with the same or higher ilvl
    - if the answer is yes for an item lower the drop chance fot that and increase the chance by a little on the remaining possible drops in the raid

    Btw I'm talking about how LFR loot could be upgraded. But normal or hc mould could do the same trick expect it have to check the gear of the whole raid and not just one person since its not personal loot there. It makes it more difficult but not impossible.

    RNG is good. Just simply buying every item would be boring. But when it takes half year or more to finally get a desired pice, it makes ppl crazy. Thats just too much effort for an upgrade....
    Batmon and Spidermon, da troll supaheroes.

  4. #24
    If people always won when they gambled... there would be no gambling. -- Confucius voice

  5. #25
    If everyone got everything they want when they want, most mmo would be done with within weeks of releasing new content. Rng is what keeps people raiding since most hardcore raider wants full bis for the next tier of content. I can definitely understand being piss or angry you can go weeks without even a chance at seeing what you need, but it is part of the game.
    Certain things such as the legendary runestones where RNG did play a HUGE factor in allowing people to finish it or not, Blizzard goes out of there way to fix it somewhat by guaranteeing a drop off the Lei Shen. Not huge but minimal 12 weeks to finish that part of the legendary questline versus rng of 12+ wks.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    The game isn't designed with that competition in mind in the slightest. It's merely a side effect spawned from the community.
    Garbage. Why do they delay then stagger raid finder? Why do they have realm and world first achievements? Why do they have raiding achievements at all? What about those "complete before next patch drops FOS?

    The game is clearly designed with this intention, it generates hype. Perhaps next someone can tell me raid finder is "just so people can experience content, so it shouldn't drop loot".

  7. #27
    Pit Lord
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    all over the world
    Posts
    2,411
    if rng wasnt in place and you were awarded a piece of loot on every boss people would be geared in a matter of day/weeks and would stop playing. you say you hate rng but secretly you love it.

    i can say though however i feel like there could be a system implemented, not just in WoW but a lot of gear treadmill games, that prevents rng denying players loot over an extended period of time. i personally dont have any real bad horror stories from my WoW days as i mainly pvp'd. however our guild did do a little pve on the side, one/two raids a week sometimes, and i almost always obtained all the gear i need/wanted when it was current. about the only time i can recall having bad rng was during icc, i had tyrannical beheader (name might be wrong, axe from the last boss in one of the icc 5 mans) for probably 2 months before i got one out of icc.

    the system would have to be fleshed out very well and not something poorly designed and thrown together in a few weeks just to appease the numbers.

  8. #28
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    No it's fucking terrible. And it's not just on gear either. Blizzard has this fetish with RNG on procs and RNG for rotations. It's stupid. I'm so sick of everything in this game being determined by a dice roll. It's also NOT TRUE that rng loot is a staple of RPGS. That's just mind numbingly retarded. RNG in mass effect and dragon age is basically non existent. RNG was basically non existent for most of the final fantasy games as well. Progression of your character has ALWAYS BEEN deterministic, never rng. Now they fundamentally disagree but the developers are just wrong here. I'm sorry. IT's also UTTERLY fantasy destroying. I can't think of no fantasy novel or fantasy epic where the protagonist kills the dragon because he MIGHT get something out of it and that MIGHT is determined by some algorithm running in the background. As for the argument that "well you'd just unsub if you got everything" that's a pretty shitty argument. It basically says look the content is really so fucking shallow that unless we gate you behind the horrible dice roll system you won't come back and play because we'll our game isn't that deep really. I'm not sure people using it as a defense of a shitty mechanic know what they're doing.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  9. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    I don't mind RNG but sometimes its ridiculous. I think there could be compromise between complete RNG like WoW has currently and no RNG at all. Something like.. if you don't have a Rogue you'll never see an +Agi dagger drop. I also think that some items are itemized way too low; take shields for example. That's where VP or equivalent should come into play: Tank shields for instance shouldn't be drops but should be buyable with VP since there are only two classes that use them and therefore the drop rate is far too low when they are such huge upgrades for the classes that use them. VP should be for supplementary things that only few specific classes use. I mean we don't need a bunch of pieces with crappy itemization on the VP list, we need items that few classes need/want and that have extremely low drop rates as a result. Shields, offhands, things like that.
    stacking classes sounds like a great way to abuse drop rates to "prevent" useless gear from dropping.

  10. #30
    I get fed up with bad streaks as much as anybody, but I can't think of anything less appealing than being able to calculate the amount of weeks it'll take for me to have everything I want and then going through those motions.

  11. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    No it's fucking terrible. And it's not just on gear either. Blizzard has this fetish with RNG on procs and RNG for rotations. It's stupid. I'm so sick of everything in this game being determined by a dice roll. It's also NOT TRUE that rng loot is a staple of RPGS. That's just mind numbingly retarded. RNG in mass effect and dragon age is basically non existent. RNG was basically non existent for most of the final fantasy games as well. Progression of your character has ALWAYS BEEN deterministic, never rng. Now they fundamentally disagree but the developers are just wrong here. I'm sorry. IT's also UTTERLY fantasy destroying. I can't think of no fantasy novel or fantasy epic where the protagonist kills the dragon because he MIGHT get something out of it and that MIGHT is determined by some algorithm running in the background..
    You obviously don't know what the staple of RPGs are when you reference Mass Effect, or even video games. Go play some real RPGs and tell me everything isn't determined by a (physical) roll of the dice.

  12. #32
    Over 9000! Glorious Leader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In my bunker leading uprisings
    Posts
    9,407
    Quote Originally Posted by frumper View Post
    You obviously don't know what the staple of RPGs are when you reference Mass Effect, or even video games. Go play some real RPGs and tell me everything isn't determined by a (physical) roll of the dice.
    Quite honestly I'm having a hard time thinking of an RPG where character progression was determined by RNG. Let alone EVERYTHING being determined by rng. Maybe table top games? I've been playing RPGS since super nintendo. Not once have ever been fed up with RNG because RNG has basically been non existent. Honestly I'm trying here. Rng has existed but it's never been so dominant as it has in warcraft. It has NEVER determined progression like it does in warcraft but it's basically only been about getting critical hits or winning a conversation roll. Not as central as it is in warcraft. I got shadowrun returns today, maybe I'll go through that and find out it's all a dice roll? But I guess you know "REAL" rpgs. What a crock of shit...
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2013-08-03 at 02:58 AM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

  13. #33
    Yeah that's all WoW needs, guaranteed loot drops. Now people can burn through all the new content in 1 week rather than 3-4.

    The ADD instant-gratification attitude towards this game keeps growing.

  14. #34
    I can't speak to how guilds feel about token distribution in Normal or Heroic or whatever, as I've very happily retired to LFR since the feature was introduced. Personally, though, I love the slot machine system. I'd rather think "Oh, well. Maybe next week," than have to put up with nine people begging someone else for the token that they lost the roll on. Looting in Dragon Soul LFR was obnoxious and pathetic.

  15. #35
    I'm quite surprised with the number of people who haven't even taken a psychology class.

    Loot is a reinforcement for the behavior of playing the game. There are four main types (in my opinion) of reinforcement schedules:

    a). Fixed Ratio - you get a piece of loot every 4 bosses,
    b). Variable Ratio - you get a piece of loot on the 3rd boss, and then on the 8th boss, and then on the 21st boss, and then on the 22nd boss, etc.,
    c). Fixed Interval - you get a piece of loot every 2 hours of raiding, and
    d). Variable Interval - you get a piece of loot after 3 hours, and then after another 1 hour, etc.

    Blizzard wants you to play their game, so they need to pick the reinforcement schedule that has the best retention, which is a variable ratio schedule. Why do you think that slots are so addictive?

    Yeah, I know it sucks to be stuck without loot for a long time, but the current model is there for a reason. So no, I'm not fed up with rng. Without it, I'd have to believe my overall experience would go down.

  16. #36
    Crafted armors ilvl 522. Crafted weapons 502 or w/e. LFR. VP gear. Normal / Heroic T14 (with pretty much unlimited elder charms). H scenario. Really the only reason to not get a piece of gear that is decent is lack of motivation. But complaining on forums is probably a better use of time than getting that slot (or the gold to buy something) filled.

  17. #37
    After over 16 tries each you'd think either jin'rokh or council of elders would have dropped an agility trinket.

    ... nope.

  18. #38
    I've killed council on LFR 14 times, rolling a coin on everyone as well and still no bad juju Yeah the RNG sucks a lot sometimes lol. Dark Animus is also trolling me with a ring instead of the tier chest piece

  19. #39
    I'd rather have crafted gear I can pursue as an ongoing goal and KNOW I will get it, it's just a matter of the time investment, or vendor gear. Keep RNG gear around, certainly, as an extra path, but phase it back as the primary one and leave it only equal to the other two.

  20. #40
    You're playing the wrong game, chief.
    Just calm down.
    My Stream - My Youtube Channel

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •