Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arian21 View Post
    I'm unlucky ... other people are unlucky . That's why I'm saying they should implement a system for unlucky streaks ...
    I think it already exists.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dislike RNG so much.

BUT, I know it's needed. Gives more reason to find different items within a fight. RNG is a good part of keeping players going as well, as they hunt for gear. Better than being done within few months for the whole content.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Haven't had luck on my paladin for weeks, but getting 3 huge upgrades yesterday just felt so good.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    To me personally, I believe the system should yield points based on what you do. If you down a LFR boss you get a chance at loot but you also get LFR pts. Everything in LFR (or any difficulty) is available via a vendor under points dedicated to that difficulty. Sort of how WotLK was. Cap the pts on a weekly and price it so at best you can get one piece a week or every other week. It still encourages raiding but also doesn't leave anyone completely hosed on the RNG.
    We already have a valor capping treadmill - having everything based on a bunch of points you have to grind results in gameplay where you calculate exactly what you need to run and where in order to maximize your gains for the optimal/fastest path to your BiS pieces. Then that path gets posted on the Internets and everyone "must" follow it or "they are retarded".

As frustrating as RNG drops can sometimes be - the little "ooh look at that!" feeling when something nice finally does drop is worth more than knowing exactly how many runs of LFR I have to do during this expac in order to get my coupons for my cash-in epics.

I think they tried to hit some sort of balance between the points and RNG after going overboard with tokens in previous expacs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamyz View Post

I think they tried to hit some sort of balance between the points and RNG after going overboard with tokens in previous expacs.
    They haven't got any semblance of balance between rng and points. If they did you'd never touch a fucking raid and they can't have that. you have to be shoved into raiding so the points have to take a back seat and you have to swallow up the rng whole. It's TERRIBLE.
    The hammer comes down:
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Quinte View Post
    You can pray to RNG Gods like fire mages do
    They stopped praying with a 540 ilvl.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WarpKnight View Post
    Amen.

There's like a pantheon of them.. the crit god, the loot god, the rppm god..
    Can't we give them names? Like Criterion, god of heavy hits?

On Topic: I cannot imagine WoW without any RNG. Don't know what it would be like, but on the other hand you already have a very loud minority that wants epics to be more epic again. If you would make it easier to get specific loot, there will be an outrage. So if i would be in blizzards position and have on the one hand people who cheer for easier loot, and on the other hand people who think gear is obtained to easily.. i would just do: nothing. It's the cheapest and easiest way...

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Flymolo21 View Post
    Save roll for kill on heroic horridon. Roll...Cloak. I have the 602 cloak. Next week, roll, cloak. Week later, don't roll, cloak drops. Done.
    hell most annoying thing for me, winning loot on coin rolls, and still getting exactly what you dont need. More than half my succesful coin rolls are like that.
    Is pretty much a worse feeling than just getting straight gold
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

RNG...dice rolling. RNG will never leave this planet, this universe, ever. Get used to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not QQing about ilvl in general but about specific (weapon) drops that refuse to drop from several locations (lfr, normal, hc scenario, daily cm etc) and I STILL HAVE 483/471 !! Wake up and learn to read the original post !
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    They haven't got any semblance of balance between rng and points. If they did you'd never touch a fucking raid and they can't have that. you have to be shoved into raiding so the points have to take a back seat and you have to swallow up the rng whole. It's TERRIBLE.
    lol @ shoved into raiding.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

You'd suppose I'd agree with you here, OP, but I don't.

See, you at least got decent weapons...

Here's a story: In Cataclysm, I had a Death Knight. I ran instances, heroics, raids and LFR with that toon quite a lot over the expansion. Over the course of the entire Cataclysm expansion, my Death Knight spent most of her time sporting HC instance weapons. At the end of the expansion, I did most of my main raids with the DK, and ran LFR every week, and still nothing. In fact, when I started leveling her in Mists, she still had the same blue weapons. Craptastic.

I'm still not cursing RNG. It's doing what it's supposed to. I see people who have always had a better luck with loot drops complain about RNG (and basically EVERYONE has better luck than me), but I have never seen the point. If I got everything in one week or two or three, then what would I do for the rest of the patch/expansion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Probably laying somewhere frozen and cold.
    Blizzard has made it so RNG is the backbone for the majority of cutting edge loot progression in this game. Why? Well, one could say it's time lost tradition for RPGs, and mmos before the year 2002. Additionally someone else could say it's an artificial stall or "gear barrier" put in place to extend the amount of time required for a player to get geared, while at the same time not facilitating a more permanent and reliable version of that system out of fear of the grind becoming worse.

Now that brings me to the question. Is RNG bad? Yes, and no. For some class mechanics, crit, certain boss mechanics, ect, rng is good because it forces the player to react on a wits end, pushing the player ever toward perfection. For loot, rng is both a terrible and great thing and it's really hard to develop a system that is better.

I had an idea a while back that instead of each piece of gear dropping each boss, we have each item in a vendor that trades them for a token. This token is like and not like tier gear in the sense that it has the same functionality as tier tokens, but not the same use. Basically we have a token for each piece of armor on a character, so helm, shoulder, chest, bracer, glove, belt, legs and boots. And then we have 4 armor variants.

For example, if say a cloth chest drops from Jin'rokh, it would not be a chest, but a "cloth armor chest token" which can be used to buy any of the 3-4 pieces that would drop in ToT. These could also work with things like "Agility-ring" or "Intellect-cloak" tokens (For strength, I'm not sure whether or not to divide up tanking or dps, but I don't see why you would, seeing as I wouldn't agility either. Plus they are in the future turning away from boring tanking stats and making active mitigation more desirable.)

As for weapons, it would be something along the lines of "one handed intellect weapon". Ie, it could be a mace, a dagger, a sword, ect. It can't be a staff, and it can't be a weapon a class can't use (Classes won't be able to see gear their class cannot use.)

And finally, how these would drop. In my opinion, they would drop in place of current loot drops now, in an rng fashion in the same fashion as how they drop in 10 man (Implement a system where it would favor drops of weapons and armor types for the classes you have in your raid, more especially for 10 man to avoid wasted loot tokens) and definitely random for 25 man (let's face it, 25 man gearing up is already insanely fast, this needs to be really random to keep it in line, though I honestly doubt it would give 25 mans some kind of edge to 10 mans). This way, very few loot tokens are wasted, but they are still random per boss, and certain bosses have a chance to drop a certain token, ie Iron qon would have a chance to drop a "1h str weapon token" where as Durumu would not, but Durumu would have "2h agility weapon token".

I realize this might sap all the "fun" it is to see a boss drop that fabled piece of gear you want, and it's by no means a perfect system (off the top of my head really), however it is a very logical representation of a system that still houses rng at it's core, but allows it to be much, much more forgiving in the long run.
    Last edited by Manabomb; 2013-08-06 at 10:39 AM.
    There are no worse scum in this world than fascists, rebels and political hypocrites.
    Donald Trump is only like Hitler because of the fact he's losing this war on all fronts.
    Apparently condemning a fascist ideology is the same as being fascist. And who the fuck are you to say I can't be fascist against fascist ideologies?
    If merit was the only dividing factor in the human race, then everyone on Earth would be pretty damn equal.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    double-you-tee-eff are you on about?

Since when is RNG loot a real problem? Apparently since LFR. So what's the real problem here? The RNG or LFR?
    The only thing you do LFR multiple times for is loot and nothing else. There is no other form of progression in LFR since you kill all the bosses on the first evening and most people you play with have no connection with you at all. You don't have much else to play for when you play solo and use queueing systems like LFR and LFD. That's the problem and not a little bit of RNG.

There is RNG to keep players excited when they get loot. If loot is guaranteed every time then getting that loot would also get boring.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    hell most annoying thing for me, winning loot on coin rolls, and still getting exactly what you dont need. More than half my succesful coin rolls are like that.
    Is pretty much a worse feeling than just getting straight gold
    I've used a coin on Ji-kun on my druid 5 times since lfr launch and I have gotten that damn staff 4 times. The repeat loot(or loot you don't need) is way more aggravating than getting gold....
    What doesn't kill you, only makes you stranger

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synbaby View Post
    I've used a coin on Ji-kun on my druid 5 times since lfr launch and I have gotten that damn staff 4 times. The repeat loot(or loot you don't need) is way more aggravating than getting gold....
    Yeah, getting something you already have should be replaced by a satchel.

New loot or satchel, no fucking duplicates unless you're dual-wielding something.

I like to "earn" my gear. I like to plan ahead and grind valor/rep/etc. to make the most of my time. I DO NOT like spending hours each week running LFR, raids, Nalak, Oondasta, etc. to get more bags of gold. I very commonly go 25-30+ rolls between actually getting a piece of gear to drop, then hoping it's not a duplicate of what I have already. I do not find the pervasive RNG fun at all. I got so fed up with it (47 consecutive rolls without a drop), that I quit for 3 months. Just came back this week for another 14 rolls of gold.

Their approach this expac to hide the valor gear behind rep was one of the worst things they've done - IMO. In addition, they cap valor at 1k/wk and make justice points worthless. After 2 expacs of alt friendly play, and luring people into being altaholics, they then whack us in the face with this terrible model that is so alt unfriendly and so very grindy.

And yeah, my warrior still has a lvl 476 weapon he got the 2nd week of lfr at the beginning MoP.

The whole "we always have had RNG" is a very poor argument. I do think RNG is a vital part of the game but it doesn't mean you can't tweak the system. Blizzard tweaks everything else. With the bonus rolls, you really have to beat RNG twice. You have to win the roll and you have to win the roll for RNG to select the item you are after. Why not have a focus item option? If you win the roll then RNG can award your focus item or from a pool of items you selected? Or a trade in option, you trade 5 bonus items for 1 selected item. I mean really winning 3-4 of the same item really only benefits disenchanters. This means you will have beat the RNG 5 times for a specific item on bonus rolls. I'm sure there are a lot of good solutions out there if blizzard would think outside the box. Just because we have always done something doesn't we mean we shouldn't change.

I've come to terms that I'm going into 5.4 with a 496 weapon. Sad considering my item level is 538.