Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Asag View Post
    Nah she was an American Born and raised, People like her make me question our education system
    Now why would you do that? We vote on it all the time, and each time the majority votes down further funding. But more seriously, yeah. US lower education system is crap.

EDIT: that said, I was asked what Nationality I was all the time growing up, and people still comment on my hair. I knew what they meant, and my existence still didn't compute because of WW2. Genetics is hard to understand, apparently.
    Last edited by Chirri; 2013-08-03 at 11:24 PM.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    i prefer the hyphenated to the overly proud kind - the guy from new jersey saying he's irish and doing his damnedest to emulate an irish accent and singing the praises of the IRA and shit
    Well...typically its best to avoid NJ at all costs to begin with.

But I digress

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Chirri View Post
    Now why would you do that? We vote on it all the time, and each time the majority votes down further funding. But more seriously, yeah. US lower education system is crap.
    How do you figure our education system is crap?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    ]

How do you figure our education system is crap?
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ldwide-report/

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Canada,we've got freedom too, except we don't pretend to be american when we travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    Because you need a reason to hate them. And if you hate them and they are your ethnicity they have to be jews.
    Maybe YOU need a reason to hate them, personally I like to know as a point to relate to others. Where I live, you can be proud of your ethnicity, no matter where you are from. You see, Canada is not a melting pot, we are a mosaic, you bring your culture here with you, and we all respect, or at least tolerate it. While our neighbours to the south are a melting pot, you give up your culture and ways, and become an American.
    It's subtle, but there are differences.
    "There are other sites on the internet designed for people to make friends or relationships. This isn't one" Darsithis Super Moderator
    Proof that the mmochamp community can be a bitter and lonely place. What a shame.

I read the article.

We indeed have problems but IDK if I would say the entire system is crap. I think education is a process that has 3 major components. School, Family, individual effort.

I think the schools themselves are not bad, but there is a sub-culture within the U.S. that puts a much lower priority on Education than getting blink, or criminal behavior.

Often times, parents are working 2 jobs and don't have enough time to really re-enforce the need for education to their children, they are just struggling to put food on the table.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Maybe YOU need a reason to hate them, personally I like to know as a point to relate to others. Where I live, you can be proud of your ethnicity, no matter where you are from. You see, Canada is not a melting pot, we are a mosaic, you bring your culture here with you, and we all respect, or at least tolerate it. While our neighbours to the south are a melting pot, you give up your culture and ways, and become an American.
    It's subtle, but there are differences.
    There is strength in unity. Its better to have everyone playing for the same team then encouraging everyone to separate themselves.

That's my opinion anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would tell them to learn the difference between Nationality and Ethnic Origin before talking to me again, as I hate talking to stupid people.

Quote Originally Posted by Asag View Post
    Girl: No you know dude your fucking nationality! like you mexican? black? White?
    Me: I think you're confusing Nationality with ethnicity. Since Nationality refers to the legal relationship between a person and a nation state.
    Actually one of those is a nationality: Mexican. The others are races. Ethnicities are like Hispanic, because people who are Hispanic are part of multiple races, or Kurdish, which is an ethnicity of Persians. Its possible to get these mixed up with nationalities because a lot of countries are split up by ethnicity like the former Yugoslavia and Czechoslovakia, but if this girl is American she is probably not thinking that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    (apparently latino and hispanic are two different groups? They were on this survey...)
    You can be Brazilian, which is Latino, but not Hispanic as they were formerly ruled by Portugal and not Spain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneru View Post
    Back in Molten Core in Vanilla, about 20 people up and the rest still being ressed. Cidet, our rogue, goes in stealth and moves up to Ragnaros. About 5 seconds later, Ragnaros aggroes and starts killing all of us again. Everyone is pissed and I whisper Cidet "wtf happened?!". All he replies me is...

"Target has no pockets"

10+ Year Old Account
    People who get mad over stupid stuff just because they don't want to be wrong, I dunno about them... What happened to being able to simply replay "Oh, yeah, that's what I mean."

"American" is not a nationality either.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    "American" is not a nationality either.

It's not?

10/char

It's not?

10/char
    "US-American" is. "America" consists of 35 countries.

"US-American" is. "America" consists of 35 countries.
    Generally speaking American being used to refer to U.S. is socially acceptable.

Generally speaking American being used to refer to U.S. is socially acceptable.
    And i think it´s quite ignorant to do so. And technically someone from Bolivia or Cuba is as american as any "american".

And i think it´s quite ignorant to do so. And technically someone from Bolivia or Cuba is as american as any "american".

Not really.

Thus far only one country claims the demonym american and it sounds silly to call them United Statesian.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't suppose she's related to Ms. Teen South Carolina eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    I don't suppose she's related to Ms. Teen South Carolina eh?
    like totally, you know

10+ Year Old Account
    like totally, you know
    As a geography major, that made my head hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by UnC View Post
    Hispanic comes from hispano hablante, I think? so anybody that speaks spanish. For some reason spaintards hate the term and won't be associated with latinos.
    Latino is anybody in the Americas that speaks a latin language, so it includes brazil and...
    Hispanic means anyone from a current or former country controlled by Spain. Latino can be applied to anyone from a Latin American country which is basically anything south of the US in the Western Hemisphere. Its usually just meant the same as Hispanic since Brazilians are just called Brazilians and there arent enough people from French or other Portuguese speaking countries to distinguish them on a regular basis.