Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    How do you think tank classes in SoO?

    Hey guys! We were just discussing about our raid comp earlier, which hasn't been good since Dragon Soul. We do have 2 dk tanks, including me. We are both good enough I'm sure, but just for the best of raid, I was thinking about maybe switching to my either bear or monk tank, if it can make things noticably better. So the thing I was wondering is, according to the known ptr fights (I haven't spent too much time studying them yet, but I will) and patchnote, what tank classes are generally at advantage? Like I know for now it's pally/monk. But not sure how things will change in 5.4.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Dreadlord Choice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    946
    As has been pretty much ubiquitous this expansion, paladins are your best bet. As with this tier SoTR still dominates a lot of the challenges intended for tanks. Assuming you're set on switching to either a monk or druid. the monk is your best bet. That said DK's are set to improve quite a bit with the new changes, but I'm not qualified to comment on how they'd compare.

    Edit: Re-read the post, druid is still the weakest, generally struggling with stuff like Nazgrim's Execute or Horridon's triple puncture due to their active mit having no value for mitigating physical damage, which is where most of the high tank damage comes from.
    Last edited by Choice; 2013-08-03 at 07:04 AM.

    Avast | Signature by Pangcakes | YouTube Channel

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Choice View Post
    As has been pretty much ubiquitous this expansion, paladins are your best bet. As with this tier SoTR still dominates a lot of the challenges intended for tanks. Assuming you're set on switching to either a monk or druid. the monk is your best bet. That said DK's are set to improve quite a bit with the new changes, but I'm not qualified to comment on how they'd compare.

    Edit: Re-read the post, druid is still the weakest, generally struggling with stuff like Nazgrim's Execute or Horridon's triple puncture due to their active mit having no value for mitigating physical damage, which is where most of the high tank damage comes from.
    I agree with the druid so far. Their damage is pretty high but really lack of personal or raid cd compare to other tanks. I'm guessing monk is a bette choice too, but just wondering if people who actually do ptr test have better understanding about that.

  4. #4
    Dreadlord Choice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    946
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonleekungfu View Post
    I agree with the druid so far. Their damage is pretty high but really lack of personal or raid cd compare to other tanks. I'm guessing monk is a bette choice too, but just wondering if people who actually do ptr test have better understanding about that.
    Thing is the classes are critiqued on a fight by fight basis. For example, DKs are mechanically broken on HM Malkorok, and monks for some reason seem to be having issues on Iron Juggernaut NM. Meanwhile druid's hate Nazgrim HM for the aforementioned reasons.

    Ultimately if you're looking for overviews of the class changes and ideas as to where your reroll candidates will be come t16 launch, your best course of action is to seek out information from the class forums.

    That's assuming you can't get a rough idea of proceedings based on just reading the patch notes.

    Avast | Signature by Pangcakes | YouTube Channel

  5. #5
    Paladin ~= Monk > DK >>> Druid >>>>>> Warrior

    Certain fights favor/break specific tanks, but that's to be expected. Having some decently geared alts or offspecs is always a good idea.

  6. #6
    The broken monstrosities will remain so, did we need the question? Well, more exposure can't hurt.
    Last edited by Espada; 2013-08-03 at 08:57 AM.

  7. #7
    Paladin tanks are in a class of their own when it comes to survivability. No other tank comes even close. Paladins can even /sit spam on heroic fights to get intentionally crit for more vengeance, and still be in no danger of dying. They also offer very strong raid healing, though it's getting nerfed in 5.4

    Monks single target dps is somewhat higher than paladins, and aoe dps is quite a bit higher. They also offer good raid healing and shielding, which probably makes them the 2nd best choice for a raid tank right now.

  8. #8
    Bloodsail Admiral Kharli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Stormwind
    Posts
    1,210
    DK DK DK DK DK DK DK DK DK DK..
    is still OP as fel..
    but honestly?
    Paladin - DK > - Monk/warrior -----------------------------------------Druid

  9. #9
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Kharli View Post
    DK DK DK DK DK DK DK DK DK DK..
    is still OP as fel..
    but honestly?
    Paladin - DK > - Monk/warrior -----------------------------------------Druid
    DKs are the worst tanks at the moment when it comes to progression, their damage intake is way too high while their survivability doesn't scale that well.

    OT: Paladins are the strongest, they have the most reliable Physical mitigation ability that has a very high uptime in BiS gear(Our Prot Pala is 542 iLvl with 17.6K Haste with 4set, he has hc-tf primo gloves + hc ret tier chest also).

    Other tanks(Monks to a lesser degree) have to rely on Dodge/Parry/Block RNG more for their survivability and don't have as reliable mitigation for big hits, such as Nazgrim Execute which was mentioned in this thread, and they have to use a CD. Monks are different in a way that they don't have "active" mitigation as other tanks do, they just do their rotation to keep Shuffle up 100% and purify stagger when it gets too high or time it with big hits.

  10. #10
    Paladin >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Monk > DK / War >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Druid

  11. #11
    Monks are probably gonna continue being the best tanks with paladins in a close second, paladins are getting some weid buffs though for no real reason so they will be insanely strong on add fights. Warriors and druids will continue to be great off tanks and for no reason ever should you pick a dk.
    Volun-told - A supposedly optional event, award, assignment, or activity in which a person (or persons) are required to attend either by persons-in-charge nominating them or their peers expecting them to be there. The individual often has no say in the matter, and non-attendance in frowned upon.

    I am so tired of seeing terrible people, being admired, for being terrible people.

  12. #12
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    5,014
    Probably will work out like it always does: The majority of guilds use the tanks they have who are good and reliable, the min-maxers probably Pally/Monk. I know my guild will stick with what we've been using: Pally (me) and Druid.
    NOBLESHIELD
    <Meliora> of Turalyon-US
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator | Mod Voice


  13. #13
    The Lightbringer Tehterokkar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Finland
    Posts
    3,872
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    Probably will work out like it always does: The majority of guilds use the tanks they have who are good and reliable, the min-maxers probably Pally/Monk. I know my guild will stick with what we've been using: Pally (me) and Druid.
    Monks have a lot of good niches that other tanks don't:
    -Long Range Aoe slow+threat for kiting
    -Taunt causes target to move way faster(Hello Heroic Lei Shen!)
    -Transcendance

    For a few fights, idk what our guild would have done without a Monk tank. Tortos kiting strat, Lei Shen switching between pillars. Also good on Dark Animus due to being able to avoid Anima Ring with Transcendance. Talking Heroic of course. All of these little things that other tanks can't do makes monks really good. But when it comes down to standing still and taking hits, Paladins are really good.

  14. #14
    Moderator Nobleshield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay, Florida
    Posts
    5,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    Monks have a lot of good niches that other tanks don't:
    -Long Range Aoe slow+threat for kiting
    -Taunt causes target to move way faster(Hello Heroic Lei Shen!)
    -Transcendance

    For a few fights, idk what our guild would have done without a Monk tank. Tortos kiting strat, Lei Shen switching between pillars. Also good on Dark Animus due to being able to avoid Anima Ring with Transcendance. Talking Heroic of course. All of these little things that other tanks can't do makes monks really good. But when it comes down to standing still and taking hits, Paladins are really good.
    My point was more most guilds can't be picky and choosy about what tanks they have; they have their 2 reliable tanks, and usually won't say "Hey Bob I know you like your DK, but we need you to re-roll Monk because they're so much better right now.", they'll use what they have.

    That said if my co-tank wasn't a bear and I could be arsed to level I'd probably check out a Monk, they were pretty fun in the Beta although challenging. But his paladin isn't 90, and I don't have a Monk at all, so it'd be a waste to swap this late.
    Last edited by Nobleshield; 2013-08-03 at 12:54 PM.
    NOBLESHIELD
    <Meliora> of Turalyon-US
    Raids & Dungeons Moderator | Mod Voice


  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    My point was more most guilds can't be picky and choosy about what tanks they have; they have their 2 reliable tanks, and usually won't say "Hey Bob I know you like your DK, but we need you to re-roll Monk because they're so much better right now.", they'll use what they have.
    sure, but tanks usually also have other tanking alts and guilds will say "hey bob I know you have been using a DK so far, but you also have that pala alt, might be more useful next tier"

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Tehterokkar View Post
    DKs are the worst tanks at the moment when it comes to progression, their damage intake is way too high while their survivability doesn't scale that well.

    OT: Paladins are the strongest, they have the most reliable Physical mitigation ability that has a very high uptime in BiS gear(Our Prot Pala is 542 iLvl with 17.6K Haste with 4set, he has hc-tf primo gloves + hc ret tier chest also).

    Other tanks(Monks to a lesser degree) have to rely on Dodge/Parry/Block RNG more for their survivability and don't have as reliable mitigation for big hits, such as Nazgrim Execute which was mentioned in this thread, and they have to use a CD. Monks are different in a way that they don't have "active" mitigation as other tanks do, they just do their rotation to keep Shuffle up 100% and purify stagger when it gets too high or time it with big hits.
    Well I can assure you that you are wrong about dk. I admit they are not the best compared to Dragon Soul, but of course not the worst. I would say they are around 2nd place if top are pally/monk. We were talking about different tanks in raid earlier, and our healers said "dks are generally just... there, meaning you don't need to pay too much attention about them", unless hard tank check fights. Maybe they will get low but things are still in control, just don't panic.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Arothand View Post
    My point was more most guilds can't be picky and choosy about what tanks they have; they have their 2 reliable tanks, and usually won't say "Hey Bob I know you like your DK, but we need you to re-roll Monk because they're so much better right now.", they'll use what they have.

    That said if my co-tank wasn't a bear and I could be arsed to level I'd probably check out a Monk, they were pretty fun in the Beta although challenging. But his paladin isn't 90, and I don't have a Monk at all, so it'd be a waste to swap this late.
    Yea they won't ask me for that lol. I can trust us 2 dk tanks. I'm just thinking well if my monk could make it noticably better then why not. I trust my monk too. Well guess I still have time. When next patch comes out I can still see fights and decide if I really need to change.

  17. #17
    Brewmaster cyqu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Where the pros reside
    Posts
    1,318
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly33 View Post
    Monks are probably gonna continue being the best tanks with paladins in a close second, paladins are getting some weid buffs though for no real reason so they will be insanely strong on add fights. Warriors and druids will continue to be great off tanks and for no reason ever should you pick a dk.
    Paladins a close 2nd???? What are smoking?

    pally>monk>dk>war>druid
    Last edited by cyqu; 2013-08-03 at 09:28 PM.
    http://www.twitch.tv/cheezy_123
    14/14H SoO <Divinity>

  18. #18
    It's interesting how diverse the opinions of people are on this (with the exception of paladin being the best)

    Probably worth noting if you are doing 25 or 10 because it does matter, especially for DK's and stuff.

  19. #19
    I don't think warriors are that bad anymore with Riposte...

    Also the fights seem to mostly have 2 tanks with roughly equal jobs, rather than 1 main tank and 1 off tank.

    Like everyone seems to agree, paladin/monk are looking very solid, can't go wrong with them. The rest is just not as great, with IMO warrior > dk > druid, considering the value of Riposte.

  20. #20
    Riposte makes it so dodge and parry aren't as bad. But in reality since it scales of rating and not actual values its still pretty bad but its something nonetheless.

    The only fight I can currently think of that completely breaks a tank is Malkorok and Blood DKs due to the "crystal shell" mechanic. H Nazgrim's Execute apparently is getting changed according to GC on twitter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •