Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by nitrobg View Post
    First of all, there are 2 English versions of the client:
    1) enGB - the British English version of the client, aimed towards the European market
    2) enUS - the American English version of the client, aimed towards the US market

Oxford English is studied in most schools across Europe and the US spelling (center-centre; theater-theatre; color-colour, airplane-aeroplane; meter-metre; etc) is frowned upon and even considered a spelling mistake in exams and tests.

The question is - why does the enGB version of the client use enUS language files? The children that are playing the game, especially the non-native speakers, can learn the 'wrong' spelling of the words. The native speakers in England generally frown upon non-british spelling in newspapers, magazines, books and even in forums and message boards. Why is WoW an exception?

Most common typos in WoW:
    1) Honor. Honor, honor, honor everywhere. Valley of Honor. Honor Points. Honorable kills. Honor Hold. The correct UK English spelling is honour.
    2) Armor. Same as honor. Correct spelling: armour.
    3) Defense. Should be spelt as defence.
    4) Traveled, canceled. The correct spelling of the past tense of these words should be with double L: travelled, cancelled.

I'm not here to bash the American English, I respect it and I personally spoke it in informal situations. However, in formal situations I'm required to use British English, otherwise I will sound silly to them.
    It's not spelled incorrectly, and you understand it. Why bother arguing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Xs View Post
    The Danish people I know have been taught Murican, same for Dutchies.
    Not sure what Murican is (Spanish type language?), but I'm Dutch and we were taught British English. I remember vividly how our teacher would berate us when we pronounce 'can't' as 'cen't' (like want/went)

Deleted
    Isn't this the same with Color and Colour?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    Not sure what Murican is (Spanish type language?), but I'm Dutch and we were taught British English. I remember vividly how our teacher would berate us when we pronounce 'can't' as 'cen't' (like want/went)
    Murican is internet slang for American.

Also, we mostly are teached Oxford English indeed, but most teachers will not berate when using Color instead of Colour, Honor instead of Honour.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhanken View Post
    Because everyone in the EU uses the British way of spelling, right?
    Actually yes. British, or International English, for many decades was the default way of teaching English throughout the world.

American English is becoming more prevalent, especially as people watch more American TV, but what you said is basically true without sarcasm.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard Blizzard dumped a large shipment of tea in the Stormwind Harbor.

Err.. harbour.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.